Can Windows XP be installed on Ivy Bridge Intel CPU?

esecallum

Any compatible with the latest 1155 Ivy Bridge, but I'd begin looking for any mobo based on the H61, and from there on any other Cougar Point southbridge, up to the Z68.

Would these drivers work?

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds041464

http://www.driversforfree.com/Drivers/baf649c1-6b59-4384-a780-76132982752f.aspx

Edited by esecallum

Those two "screws"

1 - On-Board Motherboard VGA (has "two screws")

2 - "connected the monitor via 210 gxc graphis card"

In both cases those "screws" are the Offset Studs that should REMAIN ON THE ON-BOARD AND THE CARD! The monitor should have NO SCREWS. I'm betting that when you disconnect the Monitor from the Card that you're unscrewing the STUDS along with the Monitor Connector. Take them OFF the Monitor Connector and put them BACK INTO the Card and snug/tightne them.

This sometimes happens when the Monitor Connector is attached too tightly (more than the studs screwed into the device). SNUG MONITOR ON, NOT TIGHTEN!

Now, I've encountered a Motherboard (inside a tower) having the On-Board VGA Connector "covered" on the back side of the Tower and an Add-In Video Card used instead. AFAICR, this "disabled" the On-Board -but- there COULD be a setting in the BIOS to disable On-Board -or- a Jumper on the Motherboard. After setting the Jumper/BIOS to Enable On-Board, removing the Cover (back of tower) -and- the Add-In, then the On-Board was functional. HOWEVER, this was -specifically- done because the On-Board uses ("steals") Computer RAM to be used by Video and -usually- is much less (usually about 4MB->32MB, maybe more) than the REAL RAM installed onto a REAL Add-In Card. BE FORWARNED!

Note: I haven't looked at your MoBo BIOS/Specs to determine if this is, indeed, your case.

(Checking now... GA-H81M-H - be right back...)

Edit:

Integrated Graphics Processor - Intel® HD Graphics support:
  1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 <<<===YOUR VGA CONNECTOR
  2. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
    * Support for HDMI 1.4a version.
  3. Maximum shared memory of 1 GB

So... why the Monitor is on an Add-In Graphics Card? That's a LOT of "stolen RAM" you could use, depending on what you already have in the two RAM slots.

This is what you said:

...ordered a 2500k and MSI H61M-P31 motherboard tower from Amazon...

...upgraded it to core i5-4590 cpu and GA-H81M-H Mobo socket 1150...

So, is it already in a Tower? (looking now...)

EDIT2 - found this only (what you originally ordered?):

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-MicroATX-Motherboard-H61M-P31-W8/dp/B0097WLXW6

(what you got?):

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4737#ov

Edited by submix8c

Those two "screws"

In both cases those "screws" are the Offset Studs that should REMAIN ON THE ON-BOARD AND THE CARD! The monitor should have NO SCREWS. I'm betting that when you disconnect the Monitor from the Card that you're unscrewing the STUDS along with the Monitor Connector. Take them OFF the Monitor Connector and put them BACK INTO the Card and snug/tightne them.

This sometimes happens when the Monitor Connector is attached too tightly (more than the studs screwed into the device). SNUG MONITOR ON, NOT TIGHTEN!

Now, I've encountered a Motherboard (inside a tower) having the On-Board VGA Connector "covered" on the back side of the Tower and an Add-In Video Card used instead. AFAICR, this "disabled" the On-Board -but- there COULD be a setting in the BIOS to disable On-Board -or- a Jumper on the Motherboard. After setting the Jumper/BIOS to Enable On-Board, removing the Cover (back of tower) -and- the Add-In, then the On-Board was functional. HOWEVER, this was -specifically- done because the On-Board uses ("steals") Computer RAM to be used by Video and -usually- is much less (usually about 4MB->32MB, maybe more) than the REAL RAM installed onto a REAL Add-In Card. BE FORWARNED!

Note: I haven't looked at your MoBo BIOS/Specs to determine if this is, indeed, your case.

the above motherboard has 8gigs of ram and the card has 1 gig of ram.i think the screws have been put on the motherboard vga socket screw holes to stop me connecting the monitor there and just connect it to the graphics card vga below.do you think this might be the reason for the exclamation mark against VGA in device manager ?

Any compatible with the latest 1155 Ivy Bridge, but I'd begin looking for any mobo based on the H61, and from there on any other Cougar Point southbridge, up to the Z68.

dubbio.gifHow can I possibly know? You refuse to run PCI-Z, my Crystal Ball is out of tune, and the technician is out for the holidays... :wacko:

Those two "screws"

Edit:

Integrated Graphics Processor - Intel® HD Graphics support:
  1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 <<<===YOUR VGA CONNECTOR
  2. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz

* Support for HDMI 1.4a version.

3. Maximum shared memory of 1 GB

So... why the Monitor is on an Add-In Graphics Card? That's a LOT of "stolen RAM" you could use, depending on what you already have in the two RAM slots.

This is what you said:

...ordered a 2500k and MSI H61M-P31 motherboard tower from Amazon...

...upgraded it to core i5-4590 cpu and GA-H81M-H Mobo socket 1150...

So, is it already in a Tower? (looking now...)

EDIT2 - found this only (what you originally ordered?):

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-MicroATX-Motherboard-H61M-P31-W8/dp/B0097WLXW6

(what you got?):

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4737#ov

I ORDERED THIS:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaming-PC-Desktop-Computer-Operating/dp/B008HAPJ4M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1417640570&sr=8-6&keywords=core+i5+2500k+desktop

PLUS A 210 GFX 1 gb ram GRAPHICS CARD.

They sent the 1150 socket board as explained above with core i5 4590 haswell cpu.

Edited by esecallum

dubbio.gifHow can I possibly know? You refuse to run PCI-Z, my Crystal Ball is out of tune, and the technician is out for the holidays... :wacko:

i retired the new pc due to the holidays making me very busy and stuck to my trusted athlon 3200+...i will run pci-z and cpu-z utilities to narrow down the drivers issue.

the e gaming idiots who advertise like this  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaming-PC-Desktop-Computer-Operating/dp/B008HAPJ4M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1417640570&sr=8-6&keywords=core+i5+2500k+desktop across their entire range told me after i emailed them that the 2500k is obsolete and even if i returned the motherboard plus cpu or the whole thing they will not put a 2500k in it...talk about false advertising.

You said

So, you have both On-Board -and- the Add-In showing in XP?

YES, I realize you got -different- Motherboard and CPU. Thanks for finally giving a link to what you -originally- ordered.

Now, I've downloaded the Manual for the Gigabyte. Have you read yours yet? SURELY they gave you one. If not, go get it from the link I gave! It has a setting in BIOS for the VGA.

VGA Support
Allows you to select which type of operating system to boot.
Auto Enables legacy option ROM only. <<==YOU WANT THIS
EFI Driver Enables EFI option ROM. (Default)
This item is configurable only when Fast Boot is set to Enabled or Ultra Fast.
As I said, those "screws" can NOT be an "interference, as -again- (if you look in that manual) they -belong- there - STUDS, not SCREWS! The USB3.0 -should- be usable (I think) with the correct drivers. :unsure: "Renesas" is probably what you want -but- we won't know unless you -look at the Device Manager- for those that fail and let us know -

1 - WHAT they say for a Description

2 - WHAT the "Ven/Dev" values are that show for them

I have an NEC Add-In USB-3 that -does- have XP support. If one of the "failing" is the Network, Realtek -surely- has drivers for it.

Please report back with -all- information (including the CPU-Z -and- maybe GPU-Z output) so we can get on with it.

At your next opportunity, please.

Side note: The Manual doesn't quite give -all- specifics, thus the need for the above information.

You said

So, you have both On-Board -and- the Add-In showing in XP?

YES, I realize you got -different- Motherboard and CPU. Thanks for finally giving a link to what you -originally- ordered.

Now, I've downloaded the Manual for the Gigabyte. Have you read yours yet? SURELY they gave you one. If not, go get it from the link I gave! It has a setting in BIOS for the VGA.

VGA Support

Allows you to select which type of operating system to boot.

Auto Enables legacy option ROM only. <<==YOU WANT THIS

EFI Driver Enables EFI option ROM. (Default)

This item is configurable only when Fast Boot is set to Enabled or Ultra Fast.

As I said, those "screws" can NOT be an "interference, as -again- (if you look in that manual) they -belong- there - STUDS, not SCREWS! The USB3.0 -should- be usable (I think) with the correct drivers. :unsure: "Renesas" is probably what you want -but- we won't know unless you -look at the Device Manager- for those that fail and let us know -

1 - WHAT they say for a Description

2 - WHAT the "Ven/Dev" values are that show for them

I have an NEC Add-In USB-3 that -does- have XP support. If one of the "failing" is the Network, Realtek -surely- has drivers for it.

Please report back with -all- information (including the CPU-Z -and- maybe GPU-Z output) so we can get on with it.

At your next opportunity, please.

Side note: The Manual doesn't quite give -all- specifics, thus the need for the above information.

i am unable to paste or upload the screenshot but this is from the  pci-z utility but i have uploaded the file as an attachment.Below is the essence.Also this vga issue refers to the onboard vga as i removed the Radeon 5450 graphics card to test the vga graphics which worked but only at a basic level without the drivers.

VGA compatible controller Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller  The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) VEN_8086&DEV_0412&SUBSYS_D0001458

post-116158-0-32870500-1419975453_thumb.

post-116158-0-45409600-1419975595_thumb.

post-116158-0-01435400-1419975690_thumb.

post-116158-0-48126300-1419975764_thumb.

Edited by esecallum

hi

i just uploaded the 4 screenshots to the post above.

the key thing seems to be Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller.

after googling would these work...only thing is they seem to be 3 separate downloads.

would these drivers work?

http://www.driverscape.com/download/xeon-e3-1200-2nd-generation-intel%28r%29-core%28tm%29-processor-family-pci-express-root-port---0101

• 2 weeks later...

Asus X79 Deluxe motherboard

4x4gb corsair vengence overclocked to 2133 mhz quad mode

i7 4820 overclocked to 4.6ghz corsait ( h100i cpu cooler : software to config hardware is not working in xp, but can be set by win 7 )

Nvidia GTX 760 2gb : driver 337.88

INTEL SSDSC2CT 180A3

XP 32bit SP3 (4gb ram utilizied ) + 4gb VSuite ramdisk with pagefile in hidden ram area

Installed multiboot more than a year ago. AHCI mode with Fernandos modded drivers changed after install

Intel® C600 Series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando) version 11.2.0.1066

1.install chipset -> reboot

2.install ahci

in dev mgr choose intel®/x79 series chipset 4-port -> update driver to iAstor.inf -> choose intel® C600 series Chipset SATA AHCI Controller (added by fernando)

3 reboot into bios at select AHCI mode

Took some time to track a wrong Hid complaint device and disable and make xp work properly.

HID\VID_1B1C&PID_0C04\7&320216A6&0&0000   (dunno what it is ) GAMES will not Work if its not disabled

I have not installed every software as I dont use all motherboard features. ASUS AI Suite 3 seems to work, but I dont use usb3 , bluetooth, wireless so I havent tested

But today! Never had a better windows xp for gaming direct x 9 games :-)

DPC latency is low as 4-8us in xp. In my win 7 partition its 10 times higher 

post-351457-0-32890800-1420903955_thumb.

Edited by alubat

Are you running XP SP3 (I mean 32-bit XP) with the Intel SATA controllers in AHCI mode? On which drivers? Fernando1's? And which modified chipset drivers are you talking about? What did you disable? Unless you get more specific, nobody else but you can benefit from the fruits of your hard work...

Are you running XP SP3 (I mean 32-bit XP) with the Intel SATA controllers in AHCI mode? On which drivers? Fernando1's? And which modified chipset drivers are you talking about? What did you disable? Unless you get more specific, nobody else but you can benefit from the fruits of your hard work...

edited my post. Not sure if chip set driver is modified cant remember :(  just remember there were something about the driver

I cant see what the Hid complaint device is in dev mgr. I was just lucky trying different things out and disabled the right one after trying several

I will post some more info soon