Can Windows XP be installed on Ivy Bridge Intel CPU?

esecallum

I have an athlon 3200+ Amd single core cpu with ATI480 motherboard from2007 wih 2gb ram..It works awesome.It has windows xp professional with sp3.

On a second hard drive on the same box i have windows 7. It works fine although I don't like it /use it very often when I boot the pc up.

I am going to buy a new pc and after doing much research have settled on an Intel cpu and the question is Would there be any issues with running Windows XP with a Sandy Bridge processor?

Specifically a quad core i5-2500K processor which after much research seems to be very good in price and performance.

Has anyone here installed xp on a intel sandy bridge cpu/motherboard and what were the results?

I have asked other people but they keep going on and on that I should use windows 7 & 8 even after I told them i want xp to be the main system.

Some people say it is impossible to install xp on sandy bridge cpu/motherboard.

Also the motherboard should also have 1 IDE hard drive drive connector to allow older pata as a secondary data drive.

Yes, it is very possible. I have it installed and work daily on it* and I suspect many others have. In fact, IMHO it is the last generation for which XP drivers can be (easily) found.

* Server 2003 to be exact (but of course drivers are for XP), and also I did a test installation of XP to see if it works. Yes, it worked.  :yes:

Edited by GrofLuigi

Yes, it is very possible. I have it installed and work daily on it* and I suspect many others have. In fact, IMHO it is the last generation for which XP drivers can be (easily) found.

* Server 2003 to be exact (but of course drivers are for XP), and also I did a test installation of XP to see if it works. Yes, it worked.  :yes:

Thanks for you reply.Could you tell me what motherboard model/make it is?

or if a ready made pc what model/make and what cpu and from where you purchased it..

Also how well does it run...is it fast and smooth?

It's this one. Everything works, except maybe Virtu (I haven't bothered with it even on Win7; in fact, I put a graphic card and switched off Intel integrated gfx).

USB 3 also works (Now I realized I haven't measured the speed), charging of phone with shut down computer also works, that's important for me. 

I didn't notice any degradation of performance of the SSD either, although there is no TRIM support in 2003.

It's overcklocked to 4,6 Ghz and it's buttery smooth. Now I'm bragging.  With adequate cooling, of course (Noctua). I've seen more BSODs on Win7 on this computer (dual boot) than on 2003. For most of them, I know what caused them (unpolished ATI gfx drivers and my tinkering).

Both OSes are tweaked to the max (also removed components), but 2003 is noticeably faster in boot times, opening folders etc..

GL

I have XP SP3 on an 3770K i7 (Ivy Bridge) on a Z68 based motherboard (Asus P8Z68-V LX): it works perfectly and it's blazing fast.

All drivers are official and easily findable, including the Intel Graphics, for chipsets up to and including the Z68 and processors up to and including the Ivy Bridge. So you should really have no problem at all with your chosen processor. But do avoid Panther Point chipsets (B75-Z77) based boards, because that's where driver availability problems begin. However, most intersting boards do not have IDE anymore, but you might very well add any one of them a trusty Promise Ultra133 add-on card you may get over on eBay quite cheap, and that'd give you the ability to add up to 4 IDE HDDs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have XP SP3 on an 3770K i7 (Ivy Bridge) on a Z68 based motherboard (Asus P8Z68-V LX): it works perfectly and it's blazing fast.

All drivers are official and easily findable, including the Intel Graphics, for chipsets up to and including the Z68 and processors up to and including the Ivy Bridge. So you should really have no problem at all with your chosen processor. But do avoid Panther Point chipset (B75-Z77) based boards, because that's where driver availability problems begin. However, most intersting boards do not have IDE anymore, but you might very well add any one of them a trusty Promise Ultra133 add-on card you may get over on eBay quite cheap, and that'd give you the ability to add up to 4 IDE HDDs.

Thanks for your detailed reply.i sent a message to sphere computers as below:-

Hi
    I am interested in your computer as below or something with similar specifications.

"Sphere PC Intel Haswell Quad Core i5 4460 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 1TB USB3.0 Computer or something with very similar specifications".

Question is could you replace the i5 4460 cpu with the Intel i5 2500k  cpu using a motherboard which allows the Intel i5 2500k to be overclocked?

Thanks,

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry. The 2500k CPU is now a very old model (2nd generation) which has gone end of life, so we are unable to supply this item. This CPU also uses a difference socket so it is not compatible with our current motherboards (4th generation).

The current equivalent of the 2500K is the 4690K which can be found here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sphere-PC-Intel-Haswell-Quad-Core-i5-4690k-3-5GHz-8GB-RAM-1TB-USB3-0-Computer-/201120281657?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Please note that we do not recommend overclocking our PCs as this will void both ours and Intels warranty. If you still wish to overclock the PC then please let us know which motherboard you are looking for so that we can provide you with a quote for the changes.

I hope this information helps however if you require any further details then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Many thanks

Alex White

Component Warehouse

Sent: 29 September 2014 00:24

To: alex@component-warehouse.co.uk

Subject: sphere computer

cleardot.gif

2:33 PM (4 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

to Alex
cleardot.gif

Hi Alex
            Thanks for your reply.I would like to know if the above pc you mentioned would be able to run windows XP with sp3?

I know it's not supported by Microsoft and we should all be using Windows 7 or 8 according to the hype however my workplace still uses Windows XP in tens of thousands of computers due to other other software compatibility issues.

For a similar reason I want to know if you have installed or tested windows XP on the above computers and if there are any issues.

In fact if you have not tested it already  then you should install and test XP on these machines and update your ebay website with this information and you could use this as a selling point as many people,regardless of the microsoft hype, prefer XP due higher productivity.

Even my children ditched windows 7 after trying it as it took 3 times as long to get anything done with it.

Regards,

Hi,

Unfortunately our 4th generation systems do not support Windows XP as these were released after Microsoft had already announced the end of XP support. The last systems to support XP were our 3rd generation models which we have very few left. We do still have the 3570 available which is compatible with Windows XP however it cannot be overclocked:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SpherePC-Intel-Core-i5-Quad-Core-Ivy-Bridge-3570-3-4GHz-8GB-DDR3-1TB-Hard-Drive-/320987215466?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Please note that you will need to follow the steps listed on the following page to successfully install Windows XP:

http://www.component-warehouse.co.uk/support/knowledgebase.php?article=3

We are still able to pre-install Windows 7 and this is not too dissimilar to Windows XP (unlike Windows 8 which is very different in design). Windows 7 is compatible with all of our PCs as standard.

I hope this information helps however if you require any further details then please do not hesitate to contact us.

Many thanks

Alex White

Component Warehouse

Sent: 29 September 2014 14:33

To: Alex - Component Warehouse

Subject: Re: sphere computer

--------------------------

Basically they are saying you cannot install XP on i5 quad cores.

i obviously don't want to buy hardware on which I will be unable to install xp.

i am thinking of abandoning the Intel i5 2500k since this guy Alex says it is obsolete and thinking of maybe the i5 3750 cpu as above.

What do you think and have you any experience of this motherboard and cpu in the link above?

Thanks.

Edited by esecallum

Basically they are saying you cannot install XP on i5 quad cores.

i obviously don't want to buy hardware on which I will be unable to install xp.

i am thinking of abandoning the Intel i5 2500k since this guy Alex says it is obsolete and thinking of maybe the i5 3570 cpu as above.

What do you think and have you any experience of this motherboard and cpu in the link above?

Thanks.

No, basically they're saying the same as I said: that one cannot install XP at all on any Haswell or later processors.

Well, the Intel Core i5-4690K is a Haswell-DT and support for the on-chip Intel Graphics 4600 (and for Intel USB 3.0, too) is non-existing. Therefore, any system built with it will be very lame on XP (and a true nightmare for 2k, in case of interest in 2k).

Now, as I said, my experience is with the i7-3770K, which is an Ivy Bridge. They're offering you an i5-3570, which is also an Ivy Bridge, and mounted on an ASRock H61M-DGS, which uses a Cougar Point chipset. Yes, I'd say it should work OK with XP and it has one PCI-e x1 socket on which you could very well add an add-on four-port USB 3.0 card, preferably based on a Renesas 720201 (which supports XP). And with 10 USB 2.0 (six of which on the back). The downside is no PCI connectors at all, no IDE, no floppy.  

Only you can say whether the lack of any of those items may be a deal breaker for you.

• 2 months later...

So the last Intel CPUs able to run WXP are the Ivy Bridge.

What about AMD processors, any similar end of the line?

Nobody knows about AMD.

I am writing to say i ordered a 2500k and MSI H61M-P31 motherboard tower from Amazon so i could install windows xp as mentioned above but the idiots upgraded it to core i5-4590 cpu and GA-H81M-H Mobo socket 1150 because the 2500k will not be back in stock until after xmas. ARRRGGHHHHHHHHH. I was so annoyed.

So i have ended up a haswell processor and haswell motherboard.

i decided to install xp anyway to test to see if it installs and set the mobo to ide mode in the bios.

it installed without issues but did have 4 exclamation marks in device manager which i managed to reduce to 2 by the end of the day.namely VGA and HD AUDIO.

despite the hd audio sound works fine and the screen is fine too despite the vga exclamation marks.

in XP task manager you can see 4 cores working.

i played 50 or more youtube videos in tabs at the same time and it reached 80% cpu load.

i also played the same MP4 VIDEO in hundreds of VLC players just by clicking on it repeatedly with similar results.So the performance of xp seems to be fine despite all the scare mongerings by the windows 7 and windows 8 crowd.

any comments from others welcome...

You surely will end up finding an appropriate HD AUDIO driver but maybe you'll have to tweak the .INF a little.

Now, the pair of unusable back-panel USB 3.0 connectors (that can be used as 2.0, however) is sadder...

the usb 3 seemed to be fine too as no exclamation marks in the device manager.i wonder if its possible to get xp drivers from a gigabyte 1155 motherboard and try those on the 1150 motherboard to remove the 2 remaining exclamation marks?

i should point out the output is connected the monitor via 210 gxc graphis card and not from the motherboard.the vga connector on the motherboard has 2 screws in it to stop the vga connector being put there.i wonder if that is the reason for the exclamation mark in device manager?

the vga connector on the motherboard has 2 screws in it to stop the vga connector being put there.

How so? Could you please post a pic of that?

And yes, I bet the drivers from a 1155 mobo should work, maybe with some tweaking, for the HD Audio.

the vga connector on the motherboard has 2 screws in it to stop the vga connector being put there.

How so? Could you please post a pic of that?

And yes, I bet the drivers from a 1155 mobo should work, maybe with some tweaking, for the HD Audio.

can't popst a picture...you know you have 2  screws in the vga connector to screw into the holes in connector in the motherboard? but for some reason they put screws in the holes for that so as to prevent me for connecting the monitor to the vga on the motherboard and connect to the graphic card vga....of course i could unscrew them and put it there.

regarding the missing drivers which xp compatible gigabyte motherboard 1155 would you  recommend as being or having similar drivers to the GA-H81M-H?