Problem with windows 8.1 Fast Startup (error 0xC00000D4) RAID0 related

evilevil

I recently installed windows 8.1 and there is a problem with the windows Fast Start up (hybrid boot) feature as sometimes it works and windows starts very fast and sometimes it doesn't starts fast but just take sometime to start as if I started from a cold boot. I tried everything from inside the windows to solve this problem but nothing worked

I read in some threads that this fast boot technology works by saving the system into a hibernation file in the system drive when you shutdown the PC and at boot Hybrid boot well just use this hibernation file to start up faster by loading some system related files from it.

So I thinks that sometimes it loads the information from the hibernation file to load the system fast and sometimes it doesn't load anything from the hibernation file and load as if it was starting on a cold boot.

So I would like to hear some thoughts on what could be causing this problem as I have tried a lot of solutions but nothing seems to be working. And also I would like to know what's causing this problem is it windows or bios related issue.

Thanks

Edited by evilevil

In my opinion, it's just another half-baked feature that should be avoided to get the best Windows experience.

Windows 8.1 boots up fairly quickly anyway, and a real, honest bootup reinitializes everything instead of being a hibernation trying to act like a real shut down / bootup. 

My advice:  Disable hybrid/fast bootup and don't look back.  Frankly I'd suggest avoiding the use of "sleep" type features in general, as drivers in Windows traditionally just don't manage power transitions very well.

-Noel

In my opinion, it's just another half-baked feature that should be avoided to get the best Windows experience.

Windows 8.1 boots up fairly quickly anyway, and a real, honest bootup reinitializes everything instead of being a hibernation trying to act like a real shut down / bootup. 

My advice:  Disable hybrid/fast bootup and don't look back.  Frankly I'd suggest avoiding the use of "sleep" type features in general, as drivers in Windows traditionally just don't manage power transitions very well.

-Noel

Thanks for the reply but anyways because I spent a lot of time just trying to figure out what's causing this problem so I would just like at least to know why is this problem occurring in the first place.

I even formatted my PC and installed a fresh windows 8.1 without any programs or updates to make sure that it's not a software issue but even though the problem still existed by which hybrid shutdown works sometimes and the computer boots very fast and sometimes it just open up normally even though I'm shutting it down by the new (hybrid shutdown).

So what I expect is that it may be an option in the bios which could be causing this problem or it could be something else.

Why don't you just use hibernation? No need to do a full shutdown in most cases.

Can you please tell me what's the difference between this new hybrid shutdown option and the hibernation option and which one boots faster. As to my knowledge I know that the hibernation option takes some time to boot windows in compared to other options like sleep, hybrid sleep and rapid start technology.

And also does hibernation consume any power

Thanks

Edited by evilevil

Can you please tell me what's the difference between this new hybrid shutdown option and the hibernation option and which one boots faster. As to my knowledge I know that the hibernation option takes some time to boot windows in compared to other options like sleep, hybrid sleep and rapid start technology.

Basically it is "normal" hybernation after having logged off, but there are some more differences.

See:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152937-what-is-hybrid-boot-in-windows-8-and-how-does-it-work/

And:

http://amigotechnotes.wordpress.com/2013/12/10/shutdown-hybrid-boot-and-hibernate-in-windows-8/

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/256562-hybrid-boot-windows-7-possible.html

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/windows-7-hybrid-boot.335028/

In this:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-windows-8-hybrid-shutdown-fast-boot-feature-works/

you will also find (as a side note) a pearl of wisdom by Greg Shultz:

On a modern Windows 8 computer, the establishment of the hardware session is a much quicker operation than on older systems because the UEFI system is much more efficient than the BIOS system.

jaclaz

I actually checked the event log file after each start up and I figured out that when the windows starts fast there will not be any errors regarding the problem, but when the windows boots slowly I can see that there is some errors regarding windows shutdown and start up and which is as follows

1- Windows failed fast start up with error status 0xC00000D4.

2- The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

3- The previous system shutdown at 10:21:57 PM on ‎9/‎17/‎2014 was unexpected.

And for the second and third errors I'm sure that when I powered off the PC it powered off correctly and without any errors

So what exactly could be causing these errors and how can I solve it, any ideas.

Edited by evilevil

And also does hibernation consume any power

I haven't timed it, but I think wakeup from hibernation should be quicker than any sort of shutdown/restart. 

Hibernation stores the memory contents to the disk, and turns the computer off. It doesn't use power. It keeps your whole state, including open programs, etc.

Hybrid shutdown is probably a shutdown/power up that stores and restores some core state of the OS, but not programs, and maybe not various other things. I believe it should be quicker than a full shutdown/wake up, but slower than hibernation.

Sleep turns off various things in the computer, but keeps the memory active. On wakeup there's very little it needs to do so it's quick. If you lose power, you lose your unsaved stuff.

Hybrid sleep, if I'm not mistaken, is a sleep that starts by writing the memory to disk, but then doesn't turn off the power to memory. Normally you wake up like from sleep, but if you lose power you don't lose your state, unlike normal sleep. Perhaps it can also turn into a full hibernation after a preset sleep time, to save battery, but maybe that's another feature.

Rapid Start is something of Intel. Not sure what it is, maybe some name for hibernation on SSD?

the error code 0xC00000D4 means that Windows has issues to detect the correct drive:

C:\Users\André>err 0xC00000D4# for hex 0xc00000d4 / decimal -1073741612  STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE                                         ntstatus.h# {Incorrect Volume}# The target file of a rename request is located on a# different device than the source of the rename request.# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), FACILITY_NULL (0x0), Code 0xd4# for hex 0xd4 / decimal 212  ERROR_LOCKED                                                   winerror.h# The segment is locked and cannot be reallocated.# 2 matches found for "0xC00000D4"

Is your HDD fine? Again, does normal hibernation works fine or not?

the error code 0xC00000D4 means that Windows has issues to detect the correct drive:

C:\Users\André>err 0xC00000D4# for hex 0xc00000d4 / decimal -1073741612  STATUS_NOT_SAME_DEVICE                                         ntstatus.h# {Incorrect Volume}# The target file of a rename request is located on a# different device than the source of the rename request.# as an HRESULT: Severity: FAILURE (1), FACILITY_NULL (0x0), Code 0xd4# for hex 0xd4 / decimal 212  ERROR_LOCKED                                                   winerror.h# The segment is locked and cannot be reallocated.# 2 matches found for "0xC00000D4"

Is your HDD fine? Again, does normal hibernation works fine or not?

I did disk check through cmd as well as with some other programs and the results was fine there wasn't any problem.

And I have an msata SSD (Samsung evo 840) and yes I tried normal hibernation and it's working fine without any issues

In addition I have 2x 2tb hdd in RAID0  i use them for storage so could it be that the RAID0 is causing this problem.

maybe. If normal hibernation works, use it instead all the time (like I do)

Yes I'm trying to do that for now until I find a solution for this problem because I would really like to know what is causing this problem in the first place.

I have also read that this problem may occur because of a setting in the bios or something like a usb device or program which could be preventing the windows to shutdown effectively in the first place which off course will affect the saving process of windows to the hiberfil.sys file and which in return will affect the fast startup of windows by using this hiberfil.sys file.

So if anyone has any ideas about a bios option that could be causing this problem or a program or even a usb device that would be appreciated.

By the way I have only two usb ports plugged in my laptop which is Logitech mouse and Logitech headphone so could any one of these causing the problem.

Edited by evilevil

I have this problem too on all my Windows 8.1 systems. Unless Windows 8.0, on Windows 8.1 the hybrid boot doesn't work if an USB drive (or some other usb devices) is plugged in. If it is connected, the system doesn't shutdown or take 10 min to shutdown and the fast boot doesn't work. I think you could try to shutdown the laptop without any usb connected.

I have this problem too on all my Windows 8.1 systems. Unless Windows 8.0, on Windows 8.1 the hybrid boot doesn't work if an USB drive (or some other usb devices) is plugged in. If it is connected, the system doesn't shutdown or take 10 min to shutdown and the fast boot doesn't work. I think you could try to shutdown the laptop without any usb connected.

Interesting. :)

Without knowing anything of the innards of the mechanism, I find very probable that it may have issues when a USB Mass Storage device is connected (as the error code seems like involving a "volume"), but I find queer that it may do the same with HID ones, like the mouse and headphone :unsure:, or at least, while the mouse may be "used within" or "connected with" sleep/hibernation and consequent resume, the headphone should be "innocent".

I would try with no USB attached, then with just the headphone and then readd the mouse, making sure that there is no setting like "wake/resume on mouse movement" or "wake/resume on mouse click", something like that could even be a setting in the BIOS, not only in the OS control panel.

jaclaz