September, er, August, er, Latest Windows Updates

NoelC

Some 12 "Important" updates and 1 "Optional" update have just become available for Windows 8.1.  At least one claims to be an August update, even though we're rather well along into September.

I've installed them all in a VM and so far nothing's released its magic smoke.  Aero Glass for Win 8.1 downloaded a new set of symbols automatically and after that appears to be working fine.  Nor have the updates apparently broken any of the other tweaks I've done.

What's been your experience with this set of updates?  All good?  Seen any articles on the subject that say otherwise?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

AltTab.dll is modification-dated February 22, 2014...

AltTab.png

In my VM I have found a problem with this set of updates:  They break Windows 8.1 system protection, much like what I saw last month with the Windows 7 updates.  This shows both the problem and how to fix it:

SeptemberUpdateProblems.png

-Noel

I'm getting angry. Today there was another "Optional" update, this time it was the September update rollup KB2984006. Same exact thing as with the August update, "We couldn't complete the update, undoing changes". Do I have to reinstall my system now?

Thanks Noel.

Sanic: Nah. Just wait for a fix, or until someone figures out why it can't install, or use SFC (if it works), or DISM (if it works).

Edited by shae

• 2 weeks later...

if using a custom theme, have to repatch the uxthemes.dll after the update, other than that all is fine here

Yes, this kind of bit me. I was using a custom .msstyle, and the update reverted it back to the original. The only thing I had edited in the default was the aero.msstyle was the glow around the title text. Anyways, when I noticed the glow was missing, I tried re-editing the file without repatching. That ended up really breaking my system upon reboot--ended up having to refresh my Surface and reinstall all of my software, as I was just staring at a black screen when Windows rebooted.

Anyone have any advice on what I can do differently to utilize a custom .msstyle to prevent this in the future? I would like to leave the default windows theme intact, but use a secondary theme that uses a modified aero.msstyle, just in case something breaks with a future Windows update. Any thoughts on how to create a new .theme file and pair it with the modified .msstyle?

Just create a separate .theme file. It's a text file which you can edit. Among other things it includes a reference to the .msstyles file, and the name of the theme. 

And yes, Microsoft's stupid strategy with the skins is annoying, especially now when you must modify skins if you want to change basic UI settings.

Edited by shae

Just create a separate .theme file. It's a text file which you can edit. Among other things it includes a reference to the .msstyles file, and the name of the theme. 

And yes, Microsoft's stupid strategy with the skins is annoying, especially now when you must modify skins if you want to change basic UI settings.

Shae, I had no idea the .theme files were just a text file--I'll try opening one up in Vim and give it a shot. Thanks for this information.

-Dan

P.S. Yes, I agree--it would be nice if MS provided an easier pathway to adjust the interface.

Edited by weatherdt