OMG! It's Another Dreaded...

NoelC

...Optional Update!

OptionalRollup.png

Do we let this one anywhere near our systems? 

It's OPTIONAL!  Fooled me once...

misterrogers02.jpg

Can you say "Vicious Cycle"? 

I knew you could.

Has the time come to Just Say No to Updates?

Or is this the real, final update that fixes all the broken stuff from the last one?

I'm actually half serious here.  With Microsoft distancing themselves from the acknowledged failure that is Windows 8, is it time to assume we've already seen it at as good as it's gonna get, and all further updates will be released for the sole purpose of making us crave the next version?

Right now, Microsoft.com is on my Trusted Sites list.  Maybe I need to rethink that...

-Noel

And what the HECK are they actually recommending in the "Known issues with this update" section?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2975719

Is it a correct reading that they feel we should uninstall these four prior updates...

• KB2982791
  • KB2970228
  • KB2975719
  • KB2975331

...then install today's, which I guess replaces the first one listed above?

Is it an implication that there will be three more that have been more thoroughly tested?

I only have a mere bachelor's degree in engineering.  Figuring out what we're supposed to do with these updates to have a stable Windows setup seems to be above my knowledge level.  Guess I shoulda gone for that PhD.

-Noel

I only have a mere bachelor's degree in engineering.  Figuring out what we're supposed to do with these updates to have a stable Windows setup seems to be above my knowledge level.  Guess I shoulda gone for that PhD.

The issue here is not your education level. :no:

The issue is that you have it in the WRONG FIELD! :w00t:

The topic "stable Windows setup" is multidisciplinary, but mainly connected to theoretical physics, philosophy, and religion, basically you need to believe in it even if if you cannot see it, and should doubt it when you see it manifesting itself. :ph34r:

jaclaz

Thanks, Jaclaz.  I knew I could count on you here.  :)

And you've gone and got me free-associating again...

Quantum computing...  Only works right until observed.  Then look at it funny and the perfect waves devolve into particles that fall all over your desktop, requiring application of The Quicker Picker Upper.  Reboot, leave the room, and it's all waves again.  Until you get back.

I wonder the first self-aware machine will be mentally ill...  It will almost certainly hate us for that.

-Noel

I tested it first in a VM and it didn't cause core meltdown, nor any additional errors to be logged, so I went ahead and accepted it into my main workstation (without uninstalling the others).  So far everything seems fine.  The tools I use all the time work.  I did some benchmarks and performance is the same.

PT09032014.png

-Noel

And you've gone and got me free-associating again...

Quantum computing...  Only works right until observed.  Then look at it funny and the perfect waves devolve into particles that fall all over your desktop, requiring application of The Quicker Picker Upper.  Reboot, leave the room, and it's all waves again.  Until you get back.

Well, the good news are that one of the most debated "thought experiment" has finally a definite result ;):

schroedingers-cat.jpg

:yes:

jaclaz

This update sucks. When it first came out, I couldn't even install it on my computer (but for whatever reason it installed fine on my tablet). Then I heard about problems people are having with it and that it's being pulled off, so I was glad I didn't install it on my main machine. Today it showed up again. I followed the instructions, but it's EXACTLY THE SAME. It goes to "We couldn't complete the update, undoing changes" after the first restart. What a piece of crap. I'm not touching this ever again.

If it makes you feel better, 171414167066sonicraging.gif, just the other day I went through a whole slew of updates to try to bring a fresh, clean Windows 7 x64 VM up to date, and I got into a situation where it just stopped updating with nothing but a cryptic error. 

The System Update Readiness Tool (brought to my knowledge by Tripredacus) ultimately worked out that particular glitch.  But that's only for Windows 7 and earlier as I understand it.

-Noel

Well the August Update KB2918614 broke something in Windows Installer (MSI) too: http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3089&p=14459 as at least 3 Classic Shell users reported. For all 3 of them, uninstalling the August update to Windows Installer fixes the issue.

Edited by xpclient

While I don't disagree that the Windows Update subsystem in general is precarious ("broken" also comes to mind), I just tried uninstalling and installing Classic Shell on my VM with all the updates in...

ClassicShellInstalledOK.png

-Noel