What software can replicate Windows 98 Seagate Backup Exec functions o

Sfor

I do have a dual boot Windows 98/2000 computer with a DAT tape drive on it. So far, I was unable to find a software able to replicate tape managemnt functions available in old Seagate Backup Exec built in Windows 98.

The old Backup Exec is able to append new backups to an existing tape and continue on another tape, if there is not enough space. When restoring, it is necesary to insert just the tapes with particular backup set. So, it is possible to create an endless chain of tapes.

With the Windows 2000 built in tape backup it is necesary to create multi tape backup sets. While restoring it is necesary to insert all the tapes beginning at the first one. So, if the particular files are located on the last tape, it is necesary to insert all tapes from the set. If the backup set is appended with another set of files, all the tapes have to be inserted while restoring the appended files. So, after appending a few files to 20 tape backup set, it is necesary to use all 20 previous tapes while restoring the appended files.

I found quite a few backup applications, but almost all of them do need windows XP or better. So, there was no point in testing them.

Well. What I need is the access to the tape drive, so a simple backup application will not do. It is true the old Seagate Backup Exec runs on Windows 2000. The problem is, it does not detect tape drives on NT based systems.

The built in Windows 2000 NTBackup is Veritas made. I do not know if it is the same as Veritas Backup Exec, but it certainly is completely different from Seagate Backup Exec shipped with Windows 98.

Right now I'm investigating Turbo Tape 2.0.

I understand :), the idea being that Stompsoft seemingly (before Symantec took over) got the Seagate Backup Exec (which was seemingly Veritas made anyway), so it should be the thing more similar to the old Win98 app  (though cannot really say if it will help you).

jaclaz 

I think I got lost somewhere. According to my research, the Backup Exec was first the property of Seagate (1998), then it went to Veritas (1999) and then to Symantec (2005). I do not know where the StompSoft fits in the time table.

Well the whole takeover table looks like that:

1982 - Maynard Electronics started. Maynard's software is known as "MaynStream."
1989 - Maynard is acquired by Archive Corp. MaynStream is available for DOS, Windows, Macintosh, OS/2, and NetWare.
1991 - Quest Development Corporation is independently formed to develop backup software under contract for Symantec.
1993 - Conner Peripherals acquires Archive Corp. and renames the software "Backup Exec".
1993 - Quest acquired rights to FastBack for Macintosh, and hired its principal author, Tom Chappell, from Fifth Generation Systems.
1994 - Conner creates a subsidiary, Arcada Software, by acquiring Quest and merging it with their existing software division.
1995 - Arcada acquires the SyTron division from Rexon, including their OS/2 backup software.
1996 - Conner is acquired by Seagate Technology and Arcada is merged into its subsidiary Seagate Software.
1999 - VERITAS Software acquires Seagate Software's Network and Storage Management Group, which included Backup Exec.
2005 - Symantec acquires VERITAS, including both Backup Exec and NetBackup (a completely different backup-software package).

Edited by Sfor

I think I got lost somewhere. According to my research, the Backup Exec was first the property of Seagate (1998), then it went to Veritas (1999) and then to Symantec (2005). I do not know where the StompSoft fits in the time table.

Well:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/17859-xp-tape-drives-backupexec.html

11th May 2003:

Well, I kinda wanted to know beforehand... I looked at some of Google's links and have since concluded that the "BackupExec" is now "BackUp MyPC" by Stomp, INC. 

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/product-review-an-analysis-of-backup-mypc-from-stomp/

September 17, 2003

Although I use a different product, I've been hearing a lot about a product called BackUp MyPC from Stomp—formerly Backup Exec Desktop by Veritas. Because this software has been receiving so much press lately, let's take it for a test drive and see if it lives up to the hype.

Maybe Wikipedia (which is where you made your research ;)):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup_Exec

has it right, maybe not.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040701101836/http://www.stompsoft.com/bump/

July 1, 2004

BackUp MyPC (Formerly Backup Exec Desktop by Veritas)

jaclaz

I did some research. It appears, the Veritas sold Backup Exec Desktop to Stompsoft, which was renamed to Backup My PC.

With Backup My PC 5.0 the compatibility with backups made by older versions was broken.

So, the best choice would be some version of Veritas Backup Exec Desktop, or Stomp Backup My PC version below 5.0.

Now the biggest problem is, both Veritas and Stomp are gone. How one can obtain this particular software?

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a VERITAS Backup Exec CD on Ebay. It was distributed by Dell, apparently.

There are Seagate Backup Exec for Windows 95/98/NT 4.01b (SRS) and Veritas Backup Exec for Windows 2000 4.4 (NDR) on the CD.

I did install the Veritas Backup Exec from the disk, but the Windows 2000 died after the reboot.

---------------------------------------------------------

After restoring the system from a copy, I was able to install the software. Everything seems to be working fine, now.

I did experiment with other tape software and UURollup on the deceased system copy. So, there could be some sort of a conflict. In any case, it is wise to be careful, when installing Veritas Backup Exec, apparently.

Edited by Sfor