Win2003 Drivers

Hi guys,

I'm thinking to switch to Win2003 from WinXP since i'm mostly in software development and XP isn't the best.....

Before i do that i just want to ask, if i use my WinXP device drivers will they work on Win2003. (espesially if anyone tried drivers for a Matrox Millenioum G450 Dual Head)

I use Windows 2003 almost half a year now and I never had any serious problems. Some drivers do not wanna install because of compatiblity reasons. These drivers recognize a system they were not made for. All you have to do then is: rightclick the executable -> settings -> compatibility and set it to Windows XP. Driver will now install corectly. That's it! Another option would be to install drivers manually via control panel -> hardware detection...

Another problem you may experience is that Windows 2003 actually is a server. Some software are made in two different versions, a workstation version and a server version. For example most virus scanner won't install on your machine as they recognize that you are running a server operating system. But you can get alot of information on what scanners will support your system.

Beside that I don't know any more difficulties handling Windows 2003.

Like I said... I never experienced any real problems. Any problem can be solved easily if you experience some nethertheless :)

Thanks guys,

but now i have an other one for you. As I said i i'm mostly into software dev. and i've read a post saying tha so0mebody had a problem installing Visual Studio .Net on Win2003. Are packages like that (or Vis. Studio 6) going to give me any trouble?

Thanks.

p.s: DirtDevil said something about AntiVirus.Is Nortom Int. Sec 2004 one of those that will not work?

I think you can run Visual Studio on your machine. Maybe you have to use that compatibilty think I mentioned above. Don't know what else you have to do to get it running.

I use Visual Studio 2002 and it runs perfectly...

To find out which virus scanners support Windows 2003 search the Windows 2003 sub forum. I think it was mentioned there...

but now i have an other one for you. As I said i i'm mostly into software dev. and i've read a post saying tha so0mebody had a problem installing Visual Studio .Net on Win2003.

I didn't have any problem myself. MS VS .Net 2003 runs without a hitch on Windows 2003. I use it extensively all the time, even. I don't know about earlier versions of VS .Net, since they probably were out before Windows 2003 itself.

Like it's been said before, though, your definite best bet is to install a Standard version of Windows 2003. There is no real difference between a Windows 2003 Standard and an XP Pro, except for some improvements, and the fact you have to tweak some options right after installing it.

You might just want to check that out: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default....equirements.asp

I haven't had any real problems the last few months with using Server2003 and XP drivers. And Visual Studio .Net works like a breeze :)

However most retail versions of antivirus software won't work with server 2003. I had quit a hard time finding a decent antivirus program which would actually work on win2k3 and which was to my likings. I ended up with AVG antivirus which I think is doing a fine job (at least so far, I haven't had any virusses lately and that with all the growing virus-activity and a 24/7 server .... :rolleyes: )

Yep.I'm using win2k3 for my default windows os for a couple of months now and I didn't have any software misfunction.

I haven't found any problems using any kind of antivirus program yet.I'm using NOD32 without a single problem.

Don't forget win2k3 = winxp but has some services turned off.

Read the guide on how to convert win2k3 from server 2 win2k3 workstation.

Hope I've helped you..