SATA installation

go98

Many users get problem when trying to install win 9x on a modern computer with sata only  for harddisks and optical media. It should be mentioned that for nostalgia and perhaps a bit more, it's easy to get around this problem:

You can for example selectively bypass the harddisk driver installation by putting a cut/"blank" version of the file mshdc.inf (contained in precopy2.cab in my case) in the win98-folder of your cd or other install media. I chose to remove everything after the line [Manufacturer] in mshdc.inf + an extra blank line if you want to be sure.

Maybe you can do it even simpler in some other way like using setup options (sure others here know better about this).

You can also delete the ESDI_506.PDR file in Windows/System/IOSUBSYS directory in Command Prompt in F8 menu after you install Windows.

Either way, you'll revert back to 16bit realtime drivers (normally used in Safe Mode) which are slow.

OR, switch the SATA mode to RAID, then you'll not need to do anything! It will not use the ESDI_506.pdr, and you'll simply have a unknown RAID controller in the Device Manager, and no IDE stuff. Still realtime drivers :(

Edited by MrMateczko

Useful to me? Maybe. Useful to the OP? I doubt it.

Well, then you will have to thank me :yes: (and the OP is very welcome to unthank me ;)).

jaclaz

As written, it clearly cannot work properly on Windows 9x, so the thanks may be premature. I did say "Maybe".

I will recommend that an "Unthank" button be added to the Forum software.

Next time someone asks for help opening a can, don't send them an engineering drawing of a can opener.

Edited by rloew

As written, it clearly cannot work properly on Windows 9x, so the thanks may be premature. I did say "Maybe".

As written where?

AFAICR the Xeno port to Windows 9x worked (on some hardware).

I will recommend that an "Unthank" button be added to the Forum software.

Good. :)

But I believe that once you "Like" a post, you can later "Unlike" it.

Next time someone asks for help opening a can, don't send them an engineering drawing of a can opener.

Why not? :unsure:

Because business of can openers manufacturers may (hypothetically) become at risk ?

(though only a few of them remain, I don't think they are registered as "protected species" ;))

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

As written where?

AFAICR the Xeno port to Windows 9x worked (on some hardware).

I downloaded the versions you linked to. For one thing there is no INF File for Windows 9x.

Why not? :unsure:

Because business of can openers manufacturers may (hypothetically) become at risk ?

(though only a few of them remain, I don't think they are registered as "protected species" ;))

jaclaz

Because it won't help open the can.

sorry to jump in the thread without reading but

i was just looking up info on sil3112 + sil3114 pci raid controllers

i notice most of the silicon image pci addon cards have win98 + me listed

in their driver support

has anyone had a positive experience with these cards??

do they work for the boot/install drive is what im getting at i guess.

i know win98 has problems with sata which is why im asking (and the reason

for this thread i suppose!)

heres one example http://www.sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=509

amongst many other brand names (and non brand names) these cards are a dime a dozen

You need to / should open a new Topic in this sub-forum.

Here is one such reference -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/150641-problem-with-two-sata-hdd-dives-on-sil-3512-controller/

Granted, the MSFN Search has "somewhat" to be desired. I found the above using Google

"windows 98" sil3112 OR sil3114 site:msfn.org
Try the above to see if that gives any answer to your question.

HTH

anyone else that actually has a sata pci adapter that boasts 98 support have any realworld experience..?

Yes.

I've used cards based on Sil 3112 and 3114. The 4-port cards have driver issues, so don't buy those. The 2-port SATA cards are fine and work perfectly under win-98 using the drivers you can get for them. I have drives over 1 tb and have no problems. I'm using SI3112r.mpd version 1.0.0.51.

Any sata controller that is SATA-1 (like the 3112 and 3114 chips) will have Win-98 drivers available. Somewhere. And these will be ordinary PCI cards. Any Sata card that is PCI-express will be Sata-2 or sata-3, and almost certainly no win-98 drivers exist for them. Any motherboard with Sata-1 controller (which usually means it was made no later than 2006) will have win-98 drivers (somewhere).