Changing parameters of Win7 partition?

Roffen

I have two partitions on a 128GB SSD. 1st partition used to be my primary, boot partition (XP), but I could also boot Win7 on 2nd partition.

I had to reinstall Win7 on  2nd part, and it has now been set to be the "start" partition.

Is it possible, and how would I do it if I want to make part1 the "start" partition? I mostly use XP only because Outlook Express is the only newsreader I like:)

Sure it is possible :).

You will need to go back and re-read the old thread:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156859-drive-order/

But right now you should have on your first partition (the one containing XP):

• NTLDR
  • BOOT.INI
  • grldr
  • BOOTMGR <- maybe or maybe not :unsure:
  • \boot\BCD <- maybe or maybe not :unsure:

And on the second one (the one containing the Windows 7 - provided that it has been made active):

• BOOTMGR
  • \boot\BCD

In order to verify that everything is fine, you may want to copy from the root of first partition the files:

BOOT.INI

grldr

to the root of second partition.

Reboot and you should have now a choice between Windows 7 and grub4dos.

Please verify/confirm the above and I will guide you through the commands/changes needed.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Good. :)

So, most probably your booting now is:

MBR->Bootsector of Active partition (2nd one)->BOOTMGR (on 2nd partition)->\boot\BCD+BOOT.INI (just added to 2nd partition)-> Either Windows 7 or grub4dos

To make sure this is the case, you should boot, choose grub4dos and press "c" t get to a command prompt.

At it type:

root (hd0,0)

[ENTER]

this will establish root to first partition (I am assuming that the SSD iis first disk on the system, as it usually is).

Then issue:

chainloader +1

[ENTER]

and 

boot

[ENTER]

this chainloads the bootsector of the first partition and you should be at the same \boot\BCD choices you had before the reinstall (the one comprising XP, 7 and grub4dos).

Verify by rebooting that all choices boot fine.

If they do, all you have to do is to re-access the grub4dos command line and issue the commands:

makeactive --status (hd0,1)

[ENTER]

this will allow you to check that the currently active partition is the 2nd one.

then issue:

makeactive (hd0,0)

[ENTER]

this will make the First partition active, and at next reboot you will be booting "as before".

jaclaz

I've been offline waiting for a replacement for a defect modem that died during a thunderstorm here.

Yes, I've found that all is well with the system, I get the options

Previous system - boots XP on 1st SSD partition

Windows 7 - boots Win7 (Home ed) on 2nd partition.

grub4dos

I have two other disks on the system but I don't think any of them have a working OS.

I believe the sensible thing for me to do now is to replace the Home Edition with a Windows 7 Professional Edition - the drive where I had Win7P before broke down.

If that's what I do I shouldn't need to do anything, just leave the grub4dos option just in case I'd want to use it later.