Your Ground Coffee May Contain Soybeans, Corn - Even Twigs !

Monroe

Some reading for coffee drinkers ...

Your Ground Coffee May Contain Soybeans, Corn - Even Twigs

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/08/12/your-coffee-may-not-be-just-coffee/?intcmp=latestnews

August 12, 2014

With world coffee prices on the rise, producers may be adding fillers to your pre-ground coffee to maximize profits.

Along with water and coffee, you might also be drinking wheat, corn, soybeans, rye, ground acai seeds and even brown sugar in your morning brew, according to the American Chemical Society. While not harmful, these unwanted fillers may affect the taste and quality of coffee.

Drought and a detrimental fungus have been ravaging coffee farms, leading to an unexpected rise in impurities, such as wood, twigs, leaves or other matter from the coffee plant, found in coffee grounds.

“With a lower supply of coffee in the market, prices rise, and that favors fraud because of the economic gain,” says Suzana Lucy Nixdorf, Ph.D.,  a Brazilian scientist who is working to combat the filler problem.

Nixdorf and her team of researchers have developed a new test that detects unwanted additives through the use of liquid chromatography and statistical tools.

Traditional methods for testing coffee impurities involve examining grounds under a microscope and even tasting the compounds—a subjective process with a lot of room for error, according to Nixdorf.

“With our test, it is now possible to know with 95 percent accuracy if coffee is pure or has been tampered with, either with corn, barley, wheat, soybeans, rice, beans, acai seed, brown sugar or starch syrup,” she said in a statement to the American Chemical Society.

World coffee supplies are estimated to drop by about 70 percent by 2080 due to conditions related to climate change, according to a 2012 study from the U.K.’s Royal Botanic Gardens and the Environment.

In Brazil, 55 million bags of coffee are typically produced each year but estimates project the country will likely produce only 45 million by the end of 2014.

While detecting grains and other fillers in your grounds might help keep your morning joe pure, once the coffee is brewed with water, detection of these elements is difficult.

The team plans to use the test on product before it hits the shelves.

Edited by monroe

Oh geez, why aren't I surprised. I'm a pretty heavy coffee drinker and I noticed at times coffee tastes a bit different than it used to. At least the stuff I make at home tastes alright but the stuff I drink at the diner doesn't taste the same as it always was, so this wouldn't surprise me one bit. People always find ways to make an extra buck.

Momma Earth is basically saying. Time to get off the Bean.... As Trilllions of humans all go to work wanting to go back to bed. Seriously I remember days when I would go to my program or work and just stand up ready to fall a sleep as somebody is snapping their fingers at me. However doing what I do best what is TRULY ME is what keeps me up.

Their are alternatives to coffee. Alternatives that does not require drugs or narcotics. And it barely cost anything. It is not a drug either. They do not want you to have this alternative. It what would keep me going day in and day out. They snatched it away from me. My window of peace.

The only alternative is to grow your own cattle; and groceries. You eat fresh food it is like drinking moutain water. You can feel the energy hit you ( a simular effect to coffee ).

The next thing is to do what u do best. Whatever makes you you. Even if your brainwashed. You just do it for the sake of doing it. It will not give the energy of ( that hting I am not mentioning ) or affects of fresh produce ( home grown ).

Those are my alternatives to coffee. Their are some others as well but you need to make sure the source is good.

HERE IS THE SECRET OF ALL COFFEE.

ALL COFFEE IS STALE. What makes great coffee is fresh beans. Those beans are all stale by the time they reach our shores and cans. Unless you grow coffee your getting stale beans.

Edited by ROTS

Momma Earth is basically saying. Time to get off the Bean.... As Trilllions of humans all go to work wanting to go back to bed. Seriously I remember days when I would go to my program or work and just stand up ready to fall a sleep as somebody is snapping their fingers at me. However doing what I do best what is TRULY ME is what keeps me up.

Their are alternatives to coffee. Alternatives that does not require drugs or narcotics. And it barely cost anything. It is not a drug either. They do not want you to have this alternative. It what would keep me going day in and day out. They snatched it away from me. My window of peace.

The only alternative is to grow your own cattle; and groceries. You eat fresh food it is like drinking moutain water. You can feel the energy hit you ( a simular effect to coffee ).

The next thing is to do what u do best. Whatever makes you you. Even if your brainwashed. You just do it for the sake of doing it. It will not give the energy of ( that hting I am not mentioning ) or affects of fresh produce ( home grown ).

Those are my alternatives to coffee. Their are some others as well but you need to make sure the source is good.

HERE IS THE SECRET OF ALL COFFEE.

ALL COFFEE IS STALE. What makes great coffee is fresh beans. Those beans are all stale by the time they reach our shores and cans. Unless you grow coffee your getting stale beans.

Thank you for another edifying piece of drivel.....

• 2 weeks later...

@Kel:

You say, "Thank you for another edifying piece of drivel....."

Since ROTS's post had to do with food and drink, I think you could have said, "Thank you for another eatifying piece of drivel....."

@ROTS:

Keep 'em coming! I enjoy meandering down the road less travelled, like Dorothy going to Oz.