Older Blu-ray Players With RCA-Jacks Getting Hard To Find

Monroe

*** I want to add ... I am not sure if this applies only to US Blu-ray players or if it is world wide ... players no longer having RCA-jacks. I will also add that most people probably have a modern TV with the HDMI connection, so they would have no interest in an older Blu-ray player ... so what I posted below will be of little interest to them.

Over the last few weeks (July) I made an interesting discovery about Blu-ray players ... as of Jan 01, 2011 all new players were no longer to have the RCA jacks on the back of the unit. I did not know all the developments with Blu-ray players ... really had no plans to purchase Blu-ray discs, I was satisfied with my DVD collection.

However, I now own 3 Blu-ray discs ... many now come with the regular DVDs and Blu-ray discs together. I've also noticed that that if you like "Special Features" they may only be on the Blu-ray disc or there will will be more "extras" on the Blu-ray disc. All this being done by the studios to get you to buy the more expensive Blu-ray discs.

As I said earlier, I only own 3 Blu-ray films and have no plans to buy more. These were all discs that came with the DVD also. These were 3 films that I like and I wanted the " extras" ... making of the film, commentaries, alternate endings and such.

I made all these discoveries in July ... I will go into more detail but first I want to stray a little and mention this about rental DVDs. I rent every so often from Netflix for a month, maybe three times a year. I build up a list of films and sign up for a month or two. Well, I used to get a DVD that would have "extras" on it with the movie ... but lately I have been getting only films, no extras ... went to Google and found out that all the studios now only supply Netflix and and other rental companies with a movie DVD only ... no more extras ... the studios want you to buy the DVD ... if you want the extras. Most people probably don't care and only watch the film but some maybe like to know more about the making of the film.

I think 20th Century Fox was the first studio to do so and the others have followed.

Fox To Strip Extras From Rental DVDs

http://www.cnet.com/news/fox-to-strip-extras-from-rental-dvds/

With DVD sales declining, Fox is trying to encourage more purchases by creating bare-bone rental DVDs without special features and audio commentaries.

... so I was not aware that this has been going on since 2009, when Fox started doing it.

Any older DVDs from rental companies (before 2010) should have some extras, if they did supply any and also not all the studios jumped on board in 2009.

Now getting back to older Blu-ray players ... I have a newer TV but not with the HDMI connection ... just the older RCA Jacks ... Blue, Red, Green or Yellow with Red and White for audio.

I have no plans to purchase a "newer" TV anytime soon, with my current one not being that old. However, since I now have three BRay discs, I decided to shop around for a low priced BRay player only to discover there really wasn't anyway for me to hook a newer player up. In July I bought one from Walmart and when I got it home, I discovered there were no RCA jacks on the back of the unit. I took it back after researching around on Google and reading that the newer players don't or are not allowed to have the RCA jacks anymore.

"Any new Blu-ray player announced after January 1st 2011 will only output HD via HDMI -- players that started shipping last year can still be sold until the end of this year though. If you just love component video, you might figure you'll be able to get a player today and continue to enjoy it for years to come, but maybe not. You see the studios also have the Image Constraint Token (ICT) which when set on a title will tell every and all Blu-ray players to down convert analog output to 540p. The only reprieve is that if its set on a title, it must be marked on the box, and of course it can't be retroactively set (any title you own now will continue to play exactly the same way it does on your existing players). We're waiting for final confirmation, but apparently the ICT hasn't been an option to studios until now so start looking for the icon on your latest purchases. The final stage in the sunset is 2013 when analog outputs will be removed from Blu-ray players completely, but we suspect we'll have better things to worry about by then like ultra HD or digital distribution."

Walmart had about 10 BRay players but not with the RCA jacks, only HDMI. I got behind on all these developments ... I remember in 2010 that I did see RCA jacks on BRay players but I had no interest since I didn't own any Blu-ray discs and didn't plan on buying any.

So I researched on Google and found other people wanting to buy an older Blu-ray player with RCA jacks ... there were several models but it had to be 2010 models. Samsung had two models ... in that year Samsung BD-C5500 and Samsung BD-C6500, possibility others, with the RCA jacks, Sony had some and Phillips also ... probably all the models still had RCA jacks.

There seem to be a lot of interest in those two Samsung models ... went to eBay and got lucky finding one of each model at a very reasonable price ... one was like new and the other (C6500) had some scuff markings ... those Samsung models have a lousy glossy finish and mark up easy. Both play well and had the original remote like new.

Some of the Samsung players for sale don't have the original remote or the seller has supplied an "universal" remote ... however, I read where people were saying the universal remote won't work all the features on the BRay player ... so the original remote is needed.

Well, I just posted this as a "heads up" on older versus newer Blu-ray players ... I will also say that I see no difference between a DVD or Blu-ray disc when playing ... they both look good, crystal clear sharp to me ... it's just that the Blu-ray disc had some extra features.

If you think you might want or need an older 2010 model or one with RCA jacks, then you better start looking while there are some around in "decent" condition.

I just discovered all this in the last three weeks ... I also want to add, I don't know if this applies to other countries or just the US.

Just found this ... perhaps the RCA jacks could still exist on some new models but the picture would be "degraded" ... maybe others know more about this.

As of January 1, 2011, Blu-ray manufacturers are no longer allowed to output an HD signal from the analog component video output (older Blu-ray players could output 720p/1080i high-definition through component video). If you own a Blu-ray player produced after this date, then it will only pass a maximum resolution of 480p from the Blu-ray player to the TV through component video. You can still watch high-def Blu-ray discs, but they will be downconverted to a lower resolution. The same is true if you use the basic yellow composite video output; it will only pass a standard-definition 480i signal from the player to your TV.

http://hometheaterreview.com/five-tips-to-successfully-set-up-your-blu-ray-player/

Edited by monroe

Yes, I looked into cables and converters but so many people said they didn't work ... I looked at several "HDMI to RCA jacks" cables and almost everyone said they were a waste of money. The converters were not cheap if I remember ... I was able to get the Samsung BD-C6500 model for under $60 with shipping and the BD-C5500 model was in better "cosmetic" shape and under $70 with shipping.

I also like these two models because they play media files ... .avi, .mp4, .mkv, .flv and more from USB or DVD. So far all the files I have seem to play OK.

I got this from a review: Samsung BD-C5500 model

It plays avchd, mkv, avi, mp4, h264, divx and many more video codecs and dts, ac3, aac (max - 2 channel stereo), wma, pcm.

It supports subtitles with all the audio/video codes.

... but there may be many other models that also play media files, didn't check too many other models.

5-Feet HDMI to 3 RCA Cable

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-435232-5-Feet-HDMI-Cable/dp/B006I0IMF6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1407437398&sr=1-3&keywords=hdmi+to+rca

If you read the reviews ... not good.

Edited by monroe

There is a known misconception/misunderstanding.

SOME (which means "a few", not "many" and definitely NOT "all") readers/devices/whatever may have a  HDMI connector on which the device (outside any standard) outputs composite (analogic) signals on some pins.

Cables (NOT converters) are simple "pin adapters" connecting these pins to RCA jacks, they will ONLY work on these particular devices (if they exist at all).

A HDMI to AV converter (NOT "cable") is an electronic (powered) circuit that takes a digital HDMI signal as input and converts it in a composite video + audio signal.

Cables are "cheap" (but useless), converters not so much, but still they can be found for less than 50 bucks.

jaclaz

I don't pretend to have a lot of knowledge dealing with Blu-ray players, just what I more or less picked up in the last month. I don't remember if I saw a converter for around $50 ... I was probably afraid to spend the money and find out it didn't really work.

When I started finding out about the older BRay players from 2010 and that there were still some on eBay in possible good shape and not too expensive (yet!) as the supply still seems to be there ... I just decided to try to find a player for $50 / $60 and have the whole working unit ... now if those players were all in the $200 range, then I suppose I would have went with a converter.

The Samsung BD-C5500 does not have Wi-Fi built in for video streaming ... you have to buy a Samsung Wi-Fi adapter that is very expensive ... the BD-C6500 has Wi-Fi built in, nothing else to buy. I didn't buy it for streaming but someday I may want to try Netflix or someone for that.

I will be taking very good care of the units ... one is packed away and and one is being used for now. If I decide one day to sell them and they still work, then I should be able to get my money back or more ... if the units are still in demand.

The unit being used is covered when not being used ... no dust and the remote is wrapped in clear thin plastic ... no dust again. I always wrap all my remotes in plastic ... they always look brand new but no dirt, dust or liquids can screw them up. Remotes can be expensive if you have to replace the "original" remote.

Edited by monroe

Your usage of the term "RCA jacks" is fairly generic. It seems you specifically mean Component output.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_connector

My main complaint of HDMI-out only devices is that they no longer have the Composite Audio out connections that I would use to connect into my "sound system." This is the main reason why I decided not to pursue purchasing the Retron5, which I was actually looking forward to.

Yes, you are correct ... the Samsung players have both composite and component connections, I just used the term RCA jacks ... I could have gone into more detail ... Red,Blue,Green and Yellow, Red, White.

Another thing about the Samsung BD-C6500 from this review:

The BD-C6500 is also one of the few players to also keep 7.1 analog audio outputs, which is a bonus for anyone with an older non-HDMI AV receiver.

I'm not sure if I'll make use of those outputs, but they are there.

Samsung BD-C6500

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-bd-c6500/

jaclaz ... I see that they make things very clear about that component cable : Do Not Buy This Cable !!!

I want to make a possible correction to my other posts in this topic. I first posted to inform anyone else that might be like me ... not paying too much attention to Blu-ray developments over the last few years. So if they needed an older Blu-ray player for some reason, then they could start checking things out.

Also, I thought others might post more information on the subject and perhaps "correct" me on some things ... so I may have to correct myself.

I am not 100% sure but I may have a part of my earlier posts wrong. I said that newer Blu-ray models may no longer have composite and component type outputs on the back of the unit. This because of the "analog sunset" rule of any model made after 01/01/2011.

I looked at newer models and I'm not seeing these outputs there anymore but I found some things posted in various Blu-ray forums and the way I read some of what's posted ... these outputs may still be on some newer models but it just can't be HD output anymore or it has to be a degraded picture ... no 1080i or p picture, just 480i.

Maybe I am wrong that these composite and component outputs no longer exist on models after 2011, I don't know. Here's a few things I found at some forums:

That looks like it'll do the trick, upto 1080i via component so long as you don't connect

a HDMI cable as well. I don't know if certain discs may stop you getting any 1080i output over component (ie it'll drop to 480i), but that might be answered quicker if you ask on the BluRay section of these forums.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been there. Done that. Doesn't work. There is some sort of restriction on current Blu Ray players such that they will not play a Blu Ray disk through component outputs at more than 480i. Download the manual for any current player and see for yourself. The manual of the Blu Ray player I purchased (Samsung BD6500) said it would play "non-protected media" through component outputs at 1080i, but "protected media" would only be output at 480i. Same with an LG, a Panasonic, a Sony and a Pioneer that I looked at. My understanding is that there are some older players that don't have this restriction ... and will play Blu Ray disks at 1080i through component outputs. Once I find out about a model that can supposedly do this, I will download the manual, verify the info and then try to purchase a used one. I'd love to have a better, more modern player, but at this time I'd rather have the HD picture than the other modern features. Thanks! Bruce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to buy a used or refurbished player.  According to the "analog sunset" any model made after 01/01/2011 will not pass a HD signal over component.

I have found a solution that worked for me! I purchased a refurb Samsung BD-C6500. It puts out 1080i through component just fine. I've tested the only 4 Blu Ray disks I own (purchased when I got the BD-D6500) and all 4 worked just fine.

If anyone really knows their electronics and Blu-ray players ... maybe they can clear this up about the older outputs on newer models.

thanks ...

The sad part is the name of the title "older blu-ray". Blu-ray is still new to me, along wtih green ray, and anything else they plan to release once they made invasion-of-privacy laws a normal thing.

RCA jacks ( Composite yellow ? or RGB or AV output?? ). Again the current trending consumer is dumb as duck. So they want to eliminate anybody from using the ealier products. Like we could take speakers from 1979 and make it work great. Or even a tv??

They still have the RF Composite plug in for cable wires???

Again it is really sad and really dumb. They are just forcing products on to people who are too into the money making and all. You know the person who took that high demand job.

Sad really. I guess people will have to get an converter.

It is an money making thing basically. Remove RCA force consumer to purchase crap tv, crap converter, crap crap crap crap. Release new type pass non-hetero laws and leave it at that. Only people bitching are the ones who see value in the RCA. People like me.

That day will come one day.

Edited by ROTS