How to reinstall/refresh/cleanup the network stack?

osRe

Does anyone know a way to reinstall/refresh the whole network stack? Maybe even older NT6 or NT5 methods would do. I want to get to a fresh state. 

I recall in Win9x (I think) you could uninstall/reinstall something which lead to a total refresh.

There are mentions of things that reset some aspects, but it's partial:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheNuclearOptionResettingTheCrapOutOfYourNetworkAdaptersInVista.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357/en-us

Edited by shae

That's the link I posted above. :)

Something I found in the context of 2000 or maybe XP was deleting the value HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\Config and restarting.

Haven't tried yet, but that's just another small aspect. The main problem might be untangling filter drivers from adapters/interfaces. There's a lot of stuff going on under, among other things:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\...

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\...

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\Uninstalled\...

BTW, in the properties for network adapters, in the Networking tab, you can uncheck "items" to unbind them (or whatever you'd call it). Any idea how to do the same for adapters that don't show in Network adapters (some non-physical ones like Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter, Kernel Debug Network Adapter, etc.), or how to make these hidden adapters show in Network adapters so that they could be configured from the standard GUI? 

Edited by shae

That's the link I posted above. :)

I know :), I reposted it only as a confirmation that:

1) it worked in at least one case :yes:

2) it is all you can do AFAIK :(

BTW, in the properties for network adapters, in the Networking tab, you can uncheck "items" to unbind them (or whatever you'd call it). Any idea how to do the same for adapters that don't show in Network adapters (some non-physical ones like Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter, Kernel Debug Network Adapter, etc.), or how to make these hidden adapters show in Network adapters so that they could be configured from the standard GUI?

Doesn't the good ol'trick of devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315539/en-us

work on 7?

(to have them listed in "Device Manager", I don't think in "Network Adapters")

:unsure:

jaclaz

I think that's the same as "View\Show hidden devices" in devmgmt? But I don't mean in there, but in the GUI for configuring on each network adapter stuff like IP, bound protocols, etc.

I think that's the same as "View\Show hidden devices" in devmgmt? But I don't mean in there, but in the GUI for configuring on each network adapter stuff like IP, bound protocols, etc.

Yes and no.

Meaning that View/Show hidden devices by itself won' t really show "not present" devices unless you issue the mentioned SET command in a command prompt (and keep that command prompt window open) and run devmgt.msc.

And I do understand how it is not what you asked for, but from device manager in "Details" you should be able to see the upper and lower filters "attached" to the device.

jaclaz

Removing and reinstalling the network device in device manager resets many of the settings for that device. When uninstalling the device, it will ask you if you want to uninstall the relevant driver from your PC. I always opt to not remove the driver files, for obvious reasons.

No, nothing obvious does a real cleanup: uninstall of adapters from devmgmt (hidden included), uninstall from network adapter properties (the protocol/stuff list), unchecking filter drivers, netsh commands. This is all partial. I'm surprised I can't find on the web anything detailed on topic, other than a few netsh commands.

I may have to look into registry comparing a fresh install against the actual install and trying to find all network related keys. I hope there aren't install-specific GUIDs involved.

Edited by shae