xp home sp3 in reboot loop, no f8,no bsod, OEM sp1 need Slipstream BD

<3DPRSNOW

Hello,

I have a sony laptop with sp3, think that a pwr surge caused a reboot loop, my f8 doesn't seem to work after 25 tries. My cd rom is bootable. I tried my sony OEM disk, but get nothing, except a progress bar saying it is installing the recovery console, but I never get a menu, just a solid blue screen with no mouse, and I am assuming that is because the disk is sp1 and the computer has sp3. I read this on a site leading me to believe this(see the bold text in #3).

1. Press <Enter> to start the Windows Setup.
    Note - DO NOT press <R> to choose the option To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R
  2. Accept the License Agreement. Windows will then search for existing Windows installations.
  3. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list (there may only be one) and press <R> to start the repair.
    If Repair is not one of the options, you should press <F3> to Quit. This usually means that the version of Windows on the CD does not match the one already installed. If you do proceed to install a fresh copy of Windows rather than repairing an existing one, you will lose access to all the applications you previously had installed (although your own files should be preserved). You will also need to supply the correct Windows licence key for the CD.

I've tried hirens but only get an image of sky and grass, no icons or start menu.

I put my cd in the drive of the windows 7 laptop (borrowed) and and moved all files to a folder I named xp.

Downloaded sp2  & sp3 and was able to extract them from their cabinets using the command line,hoping  to slipstream & boot the computer so that I can read my bsod error.

(I have a borrowed win 7 laptop, so image of system folders is from that comp, not the one in need of repair.)

I have tried 2 different commands from 2 different sites. this one
cd i386 [ENTER]
cd update [ENTER]
update -s
:c:\xp [ENTER]

and this one

WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU /integrate:C:\WinXP

both caused this pop up

post-395846-0-05007300-1406546049_thumb.

nLite gives this pop up error

post-395846-0-86489900-1406546138_thumb.

here is the files copied showing sp1 and i386, I wouldn't think the "I" being capitol in i386 would matter, but that is from OEM, not me.

So now for my big question, is there anything I can do to slipstream sp2 & sp3 onto my OEM sp1 disk, or do I have to purchase another windows home disk from somewhere like ebay with sp2 already on it and then try to slipstream that disk, with sp3?

Thank you to anyone for taking your time to answer my question, if possible please don't shortcut the answer to much if there is an explanation, I'm obviously a newbie.

post-395846-0-19710400-1406546188_thumb.

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

The error with nlite is not readable easily, but it seems like pointing out an issue with the actual "base" source.

It is also possible that there are some issues running nlite (or the service pack) under WIndows 7.

You clearly followed the instructions here for the first attempt of integrating SP2:

http://winsupersite.com/product-review/slipstreaming-windows-xp-service-pack-2-sp2

(which AFAIK/AFAICR are OK).

Maybe you had some issues with paths :unsure:, or maybe, for any reason, something went wrong when downloading or expanding extracting the XP SP2 executable or there are some issues with permissions (but you should have some different kind of errors if the latter) or there were some copying issues when copying files from CD to hard disk :unsure:.

But you can slipstream "directly" a SP1 source to SP3. :yes:

Try following to the letter this set of instructions (they are very similar to the ones above related to SP2):

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5446

Do open a command prompt with Administrator privileges (you never know) to execute the commands.

Report what happens.

(what you reported doing seems fine :), but sometimes a small glitch in the matrix may happen)

Theory of operation:

• by re-doing the copy from CD to hard disk we can reasonably exclude that there was some error (or it should show)
  • by using the SP3 instead of the SP2 we may reasonably exclude the possibility of a failed/botched SP2 download (unless of course also the SP3 is a botched one)

jaclaz

Hmmm... XP Home Edition, eh?

That last image indicates "IP" (Professional), which further indicates that's a Recovery (Restore) CD and -not- a Reinstall CD. I'm betting that the I386 is just the WINPE files.

Could you get a Directory Listing of the I386 folder for us (zip and upload/attach)? Something isn't right. :unsure:

Hmmm... XP Home Edition, eh?

That last image indicates "IP" (Professional), which further indicates that's a Recovery (Restore) CD and -not- a Reinstall CD. I'm betting that the I386 is just the WINPE files.

Could you get a Directory Listing of the I386 folder for us (zip and upload/attach)? Something isn't right. :unsure:

I hope I am replying the proper way, as I saw no reply button.i386.zip

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

How odd! Well, take a look at this and see if it "closely matches" yours. (50kb ZIP of Pro XP w/SP3).

I just find it EXTREMELY odd that no "WIN51IC" and "WIN51IC.SP1" files exist in the ROOT of your CD, which would exist if your OEM disk were XP Home w/SP1.

!!!PROI386DIR.zip

Attachment procedure -

1 - Click "More Reply Options"

2 - In "Attach Files", click "Browse", and "Select" a file

3 - Click "Attach This File"

4 - Above that, click "Add To Post"

5 - Add whatever text you like in the Post before/after the brackets "[]" (brackets surround the attachment# and attached filename).

You did it that way?

How odd! Well, take a look at this and see if it "closely matches" yours. (50kb ZIP of Pro XP w/SP3).

I just find it EXTREMELY odd that no "WIN51IC" and "WIN51IC.SP1" files exist in the ROOT of your CD, which would exist if your OEM disk were XP Home w/SP1.

attachicon.gif!!!PROI386DIR.zip

Attachment procedure -

1 - Click "More Reply Options"

2 - In "Attach Files", click "Browse", and "Select" a file

3 - Click "Attach This File"

4 - Above that, click "Add To Post"

5 - Add whatever text you like in the Post before/after the brackets "[]" (brackets surround the attachment# and attached filename).

You did it that way?

They do exist, they are in the last image of my 1st post. It only resembles somewhat,sp3.zip

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

The error with nlite is not readable easily, but it seems like pointing out an issue with the actual "base" source.

It is also possible that there are some issues running nlite (or the service pack) under WIndows 7.

You clearly followed the instructions here for the first attempt of integrating SP2:

http://winsupersite.com/product-review/slipstreaming-windows-xp-service-pack-2-sp2

(which AFAIK/AFAICR are OK).

Maybe you had some issues with paths :unsure:, or maybe, for any reason, something went wrong when downloading or expanding extracting the XP SP2 executable or there are some issues with permissions (but you should have some different kind of errors if the latter) or there were some copying issues when copying files from CD to hard disk :unsure:.

But you can slipstream "directly" a SP1 source to SP3. :yes:

Try following to the letter this set of instructions (they are very similar to the ones above related to SP2):

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5446

Do open a command prompt with Administrator privileges (you never know) to execute the commands.

Report what happens.

(what you reported doing seems fine :), but sometimes a small glitch in the matrix may happen)

Theory of operation:

• by re-doing the copy from CD to hard disk we can reasonably exclude that there was some error (or it should show)
  • by using the SP3 instead of the SP2 we may reasonably exclude the possibility of a failed/botched SP2 download (unless of course also the SP3 is a botched one)

jaclaz

This is what I got after doing as instructed, 1 thing I am unsure of as in the 1st attempt, is where the files merged end up. I assume in the xpsp3 folder, correct?

post-395846-0-20994100-1406601103_thumb.

Let me point out a couple of things that may have been unnoticed.

His source is not a actual (Or even close to one) official source. He has a disk which at the very least has BOTH XP home and pro on it.

Which means it does not have a standard structure for nLite to use to begin with. It probably has already been modified with nLite also.

As pointed out slip streaming under win7 will not work either because of pidkey file issues.

He also mentions hirens in his first post which still falls under the warez rules here.

The OP needs to do the following to even have a chance of this working. Get a actual copy  of XP that is unmodified. THEN under a XP vm or on a XP machine slipstream sp3 and make a new source and go from there.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Let me point out a couple of things that may have been unnoticed.

His source is not a actual (Or even close to one) official source. He has a disk which at the very least has BOTH XP home and pro on it.

Which means it does not have a standard structure for nLite to use to begin with. It probably has already been modified with nLite also.

As pointed out slip streaming under win7 will not work either because of pidkey file issues.

He also mentions hirens in his first post which still falls under the warez rules here.

The OP needs to do the following to even have a chance of this working. Get a actual copy  of XP that is unmodified. THEN under a XP vm or on a XP machine slipstream sp3 and make a new source and go from there.

I have my original OEM disk, I can use to do a sp3 slipstream, but I don't have a windows xp machine to use, only a borrowed windows 7 machine, I may have access to a garaged xp pro desktop, would that work?

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

Your oem disk is not a full xp copy, its a mash of files made to work with recovery partitions already on systems.

You need to find\borrow\buy a copy of XP. Once that is done you will have to setup a Virtual  XP to slipstream it to sp3. There is NO way around that part you cannot successfully slipstream a xp era sp under win7.

EDIT: This guide http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158294-nlite-officialunofficial-faq/ is very invaluable reading as to what you are doing.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Your oem disk is not a full xp copy, its a mash of files made to work with recovery partitions already on systems.

You need to find\borrow\buy a copy of XP. Once that is done you will have to setup a Virtual  XP to slipstream it to sp3. There is NO way around that part you cannot successfully slipstream a xp era sp under win7.

EDIT: This guide http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158294-nlite-officialunofficial-faq/ is very invaluable reading as to what you are doing.

Ok, thank you for the help, I will either buy or borrow the xp home cd, should it be if I do have the choice sp1 or sp2 and I may have access to an old xp home desk top that's been stored for around 2 years in a garage hope it's ok to use. I will repost if I have an issue with that attempt.

If you have the choice go for the oldest copy of xp you can find see post 2 here for reasoning:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158294-nlite-officialunofficial-faq/

If the old xp system doesn't work setting up a temporary xp virtual system on the win7 machine is not hard at all to do. (With the new xp disk as the temp source.)

Once you get setup slipstream only sp3 and make a new image and burn a couple of copies for archival purposes.

If you have the choice go for the oldest copy of xp you can find see post 2 here for reasoning:

If the old xp system doesn't work setting up a temporary xp virtual system on the win7 machine is not hard at all to do. (With the new xp disk as the temp source.)

Once you get setup slipstream only sp3 and make a new image and burn a couple of copies for archival purposes.

ok, will do, just need to get to that bsod on the xp home laptop to read my error, since  f8 doesn't work I thought the disk was the best way to read it.

May I ask, does this solve my problem, without having to slipstream anything?www.ebay.com/itm/281397695664?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT