xp home sp3 in reboot loop, no f8,no bsod, OEM sp1 need Slipstream BD

<3DPRSNOW

This one -

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-vaio-a790-pentium-m-760-2-ghz-1-gb-ram-100-gb-hdd/specs/

The OP is really missing the boat. Just because the "procedure" is "outdated" doesn't mean it won't work. They are also getting muddled in the technicalities of MultiBoot unnecessarily. I'm prepping a USB Stick right now to test the "simple" procedure outlined and will report back. -USING THE FIRADISK METHOD-. The OTHER one (Easy2Boot) is just confusing the OP even more.

According to the Specs, that computer should be able to boot to USB Sticks. I also have no clue what they meant in their last post.

I am positive the usb works, because when burning it, it ran a test environment on the win7 lap, and all was perfect, just as the video instructions showed, but after that portion of the video, it did continue with instructions for formatting your hdd, which I didn't listen to, because I don't want to reformat it.

Maybe I'm "thick" but it makes no sense.

edit - OK, just re-did it. Even redownloaded Tutorial and RMPrepUSB files. Slow, but worked just fine. The USB Stick was "seen" as a Hard Disk in the BIOS, so I changed the BIOS Boot Sequence to have it at the top of the Boot Order, saved the change and up it came. Since the PC already has this OS on it, it asked my if I wanted to repair it. I did -nothing- except press Shift+F10 and voila, a black-screened Command Prompt appeared. I'll get around to the -exact procedure- I used (-very- simple) to make the USB Stick.

Now, after checking again, it -appears- that this model Sony -does- allow for Windows Vista -but- I see no BIOS Updates listed. This is kind of bothersome since the OP states the F2 key doesn't work but the ESC key does. The Use Guide says to "Turn on and press F2 -repeatedly-" and I'm betting that the OP just pressed down once.

VGN-A700 Series models
1 Turn on your computer.
2 Press the F2 key when the VAIO logo appears.
The BIOS setup screen appears. If not, press the F2 key several times.

This is the only "usable" reference to the BIOS and it says AMI dated first qtr 2005.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/13840?start=0&tstart=0

If the OP would like to -try- to run "chkdsk" using Bootable Win7 USB, I'll -gladly- attempt to explain "how-to" -BUT- not if the OP continues to ignore -specific instructions- as they have already done repeatedly. :(

Let me know since I just went through the procedure and already have -specific- instructions prepared. ;) Although... using a Win7 PC to do it -may- be confusing you since you're unfamiliar with the OS?

Oh, and please note that the Windows 7 Computer -probably- has a UEFI BIOS, so it'll be an entirely different "boot" story. The booting will -not- work the same way. At least this thread (about Sony's) says so.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/69361-35-vaio-boot

Edited by submix8c

I'm sorry, let me clarify. The USB works fine and is bootable, the proof is that it boot the windows 7 pc!

I Don't recall saying anything is outdated, nor would I do so, in fact I said the complete opposite, it's just not working on my laptop, not that it doesn't work in general, as proof that it works on the win 7 laptop.

I'll try to clarify what doesn't make sense to you. After I formatted the flash drive, and tested it, on the win7 laptop because that was part of the instructions, to verify that it burned correctly by booting on the laptop that made the usb, I stopped watching the video, because it continued with the process of using the flash drive to "reformat" ones hard drive, I didn't watch that "portion" of the video, towards the end of the video, since I don't want to reformat my hard drive.

I have tried f2 many times and pushing the key rapidly. But as I stated when I first posted my issue, I am using a wireless keyboard, since the tape on my laptop's keyboard was torn many years ago. This wireless keyboard has an "F lock key" the keyboard is a microsoft wireless keyboard and there is no light on the keyboard to indicate as to weather or not the F lock key is engaged. So I have to try it  both ways, first with the F lock one way, then push that key and try  f2 again, this has been tried at least 10 times each way, as far as the F lock key and F2 and f8 for that matter.

I am not intentionally ignoring any instructions, as that would defeat the purpose of asking for help. The only instruction, that I was unable to follow came from clicking your link that said "main One", that took me to a page that said, this is below (copied from there)

ATTENTION: This Tutorial is now outdated
Please use Easy2Boot for Windows Install ISOs - it is much easier and better!
So that is what I did, I assumed you were unaware of this, and that that using easy2boot, was now the preferred method, because it worked best with RMPrepUSB, I didn't know if they were having issues, with the other method.

If I understood your instructions, I am to format my 4gb sandisk usb drive with a win7 iso, by using RMPrep USB and now easy2boot, to burn the iso on my flash drive in order to boot my computer from the usb drive port, and run a chkdsk on the windows xp home laptop?

If the USB is seen as a hard disk, then maybe I shouldn't have chosen "Removable Dev." from the esc menu?

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

I am now doing the firadsk method, there is an extra step here, editing the menu.lyst file & removing title 4 & 5 = windows 8

Just for my clarification on the 2nd instructions for editing the menu.lyst file, I am to delete? the text on the 1st line and replace with the name of the iso file? So here is a copy of that line

title 1 INSTALL Windows 7 32-bit\nThis will install any edition of Windows 32-bit to your hard disk

delete this text and replace it with      X15-65804.ISO    correct?

then the 3rd line I also delete the portion that says win7.iso,   set MYISO=win7.iso    and again replace with X15-65804.ISO  ?

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

All the "extra" stuff is irrelevant. This is what I'd prepared. Other members may chime in if they see fit.

* Go here - http://www.rmprepusb.com/documents/rmprepusb-beta-versions
1 - Download The Tutorial package ZIP file ("Tut43_FiraIso.zip" near bottom).
2 - Download RMPREPUSB Installer ZIP file (near the middle).
3 - Create a Folder on the HDD (e.g. C:\MakeUSB) - NOT ON THE DESKTOP.
4 - Extract the WHOLE CONTENTS (folder-names and all) to (e.g.) "C:\MakeUSB" folder.
5 - Copy the Win7 32-bit ISO file to (e.g.) "C:\MakeUSB\ISO" and rename to "win7.iso".
* You should now have all the files and folders that you need in "C:\MakeUSB" folder.
* The pre-made MENU.LST has that Filename in it. The XML files are "dummies". NO CHANGES NEEDED!
6 - Extracting RMPREPUSB Installer and run it.
7 - Run RMPREPUSB according to THIS Tutorial

but point the Input Foldername (at bottom) to "C:\MakeUSB"
8 - Run RMPREPUSB and click "Install Grub4DOS"
9 - Click "Eject Drive"
Remove USB Stick, put in failing PC -BEFORE TURNING IT ON-, turn it On, select to boot to USB Stick in the BIOS, Select the First Option (your Win7 Iso), -DO NOTHING- until -ANY- screen is displayed, press "Shift" (Hold it) then "F10" (release both). You will have a Command Prompt.
1 - Enter "diskpart" then "list disk". You should see the HDD (0 - the biggest one) and the UFD (1 - the smallest one).
2 - Enter "select disk 0" then "list partition". You should see the partitions listed (by number). The biggest one -should- be the Failing OS.
3 - Enter "exit" to exit from Diskpart - DO NOTHING ELSE IN IT!-
Your Partitions will be - 1 = "C" / 2 = "D" / (etc.) -if- there's more than one.
Please note we have -no clue- of the Partition setup since OEM's (e.g. Sony) -may- have some oddball "hidden" Recovery Partition. Still, the OS should be on the Largest One.
1 - Enter "chkdsk y: /r" - where "y" is to be replaced by/according to the corresponding -LETTER- of the Partition -NUMBER- of the largest Partition. Make note of -any- errors it finds.
2 - TURN THE COMPUTER OFF and -REMOVE- the USB Stick.

I hope this is clear enough. You may change the ISO name inside MENU.LST if you want, but it's unnecessar, Again, I just did this on a Win7-loaded PC. That doesn't matter - what -does- matter is that you follow the above instructions. Don't let the "extra" stuff get in the way. And that Tutorial video gives more-or-less just what I said above.

It appears that the Wireless Keyboard isn't being properly detected or maybe the F2 key doesn't work? Do you have another Wired USB Keyboard? I can get them from Goodwill or thrift stores for about $3. I have a stack of them.

Gotta go. I do hope this helps. -NOTE- that it will be slow-loading because of USB speeds.

post-72994-0-78256700-1407373585_thumb.j

Need to verify part of your instructions. I believe your first #2 is the 2nd item in the list from your link and Not in the middle, if I am correct it is the one I downloaded and installed yesterday. I can't find an installer in the middle of the page.

This is the closest in the middle of the page, but of course it's not a zip file, so this can't be it.

_Make_RMPrepUSB_Full.nsi
Download NSI installer script for full install of RMPrepUSB v2.1.638 - See Tutorial #19  12k v. 5 15 Feb 2012 01:20 Steve Si

I think it must be the one that is 2nd from the top. This is the one I already have installed.

Install_RMPrepUSB_Full_2.1.722.zip
 Download New WinContig and HashMyFiles versions. Right-click on drive or Refresh button to run WinContig. Double-click on a drive to open it in Explorer.  8148k v. 1 8 Jun 2014 02:28 Steve Si

made usb, borrowed wired keyboard, was able to access the bios, choices were hdd or cd/dvd, choose cd/dvd, no usb.

Since usb wasn't a choice, I decided to try f8, and that worked too.

So I was able to select, disable auto restart on system failure. 

But that doesn't seem to do anything, after choosing it, I am asked to choose an operating system from the list, there is only 1, so I choose windows xp and then the computer goes to the xp logo screen, but nothing after that, I let it run for five minutes, then shut it down, then restart the machine and then get the same black screen with the choice of safemode, safemode with networking, last best known, etc.

I have done this 3 times with no change.

OK, I must have seen "something" else. Yes, the RMPrepUSB at the TOP. I had downloaded the two prior versions and not the "latest". I now also have the "latest (thx for pointing it out). Using UniExtract, you can get the Script for any one of the "installers". That's how to make a "portable" version (my preference) -NOTE: I don't mean the NSI Script creates Portable, but the Extract is and the NSI Script is one of the "extracted files". (FYI only).

I'm going to back up now. This is why I held the the Keyboard suspect

also haven't been able to access the bios through f2, but can press escape key and choose bootable device from there, and I have the choice, of PM-WD5000BEVT-22A0RT0, SM Sony DVD RW DW-D56A, Network, or "Removable Dev" the last one is correct choice for usb, right? When I choose Removable Dev. I get sent back to the black screen with the menu of safe mode, safe mode with networking, last best known, etc. Same thing that happened with Rufus, and <redacted> usb bootable, before that.

I am positive the usb works, because when burning creating and booting to it, it ran a test environment on the win7 lap, and all was perfect, just as the video instructions showed, but after that portion of the video, it did continue with instructions for formatting your hdd, which I didn't listen to, because I don't want to reformat it.

Oh, btw, was told tonight I can keep using the win7 for a couple more days...

I haven't picked up the posts after that. Here's the relevant part

I'm sorry, let me clarify. The USB works fine and is bootable, the proof is that it boot the windows 7 pc!

So, the USB Stick was in and you simply "rebooted" -or- did you turn it off, then on, -and- then select the USB Stick via BIOS? *Surely* the Win7 PC doesn't "default" to USB Stick! Please clarify that part because it relates to the following.

made usb, borrowed wired keyboard, was able to access the bios, choices were hdd or cd/dvd, choose cd/dvd, no usb.

Since usb wasn't a choice, I decided to try f8, and that worked too.

So I was able to select, disable auto restart on system failure. 

But that doesn't seem to do anything, after choosing it, I am asked to choose an operating system from the list, there is only 1, so I choose windows xp and then the computer goes to the xp logo screen, but nothing after that, I let it run for five minutes, then shut it down, then restart the machine and then get the same black screen with the choice of safemode, safemode with networking, last best known, etc.

I have done this 3 times with no change.

Based on the above, it seems clear that your Wireless Keyboard has some sort of recognition problem withtin the BIOS -or- it flat-out is no good.

Now this -

"Removable Dev" <<==when using ESC key

choices were hdd or cd/dvd <<==when using F2

So, where is "Removable Dev", since the documentation clearly shows there is no "Floppy Drive"? It -does- however have -one- USB port in the side, presumably for an External Keyboard (of which you now have one that -works-) -or- any "other" USB Devices and -two- in the rear, presumably for "other" USB Devices (e.g. Camera, USB Stick, MP3 Player, etc.).

In light of that, i'm assuming you have the USB Devices (Keyboard and USB Stick) connected as indicated -with the laptop off-, turn it on F2 now works but -no other Boot Options-. Based upon the fact that it supports Windows Vista (and presumably Windows 7) -and- has a 100gb SATA-I HDD -and- has 1gb RAM (expandable to 2gb) -and- a DVD+/-RW Dual-Layer... I find it -really- hard to believe that it won't boot to neither an External USB HDD (which you're not using) -or- a USB Flash Drive (which is what we've been trying to do). It (apparently) has an AMI BIOS and (more than likely) is set to IDE Mode (based upon age, but -could be wrong and it's set to AHCI Mode) for the HDD.

Now...

1 - You -did- have the USB Stick inserted -before -turning on the laptop-, right?

2 - Did you have -only- a selection of CD or HDD -and- is ther -any- options when selecting HDD to "change" it?

3 - Did you -try- the ESC trick and see -if- the USB Stick showed up? (see reference to "removable" above, which is -normally- a Floppy Drive)

4 - Did you try -anything- other than "Normally" when being able to access (-finally-) F8? You -are- aware that "Last Known Good Condition" is to allow for going -back- to when it actually -worked-, right?

5 - Also, you -are- aware that the F8 option giving "Safe Mode Command Prompt" that -if- it comes up -then- you will have that "Command Prompt" -EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED PREVIOUSLY FOR THE WINDOWS-7 BOOTABLE USB-? IOW, -IF- "Last Known" doesn't allow for booting up -THEN- try "Safe Mode Command Prompt" and -IF- it boots -AND- try -ALL INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN- for the Win7 USB trick after the instruction "Press Shift+F10", i.e. "DISKPART" and "CHKDSK" parts. Seriously, a Command Prompt is a Command Prompt.

6 - F8 "Safe Mode" -may- get you into Windows (maybe not)

Read what F8 Options do - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

Be aware that the -single one- you selected (not listed in above link) is -only- to allow for when booting Normally to -disable- AutoRestart, so you can -see- the BSOD Erro Message (it -halts- if BSOD-type failure), so IGNORE it at the moment, since Normal Boot is "hanging".

-SEEMINGLY- you -real- problem was that stupid Keyboard -did not work- and after you failed (for whatever reason) you were -stuck- with have -no keyboard interaction-. There -may- be more issues than just that, e.g. some sort of... VIRUS, since you've said -nothing- about prior conditions/actions -just that it won't boot and F8 didn't work-.

Proceed as above and report back, both Progress (if any) -and- answering questions above. PLEASE be specific and leave -nothing out- since this thread is being beat up with after-the-fact info and confusion (on -everyone's- part). NOTE! PLEASE also tell us -EVERYTHING- that "DiskPart" and "ChkDsk" output ("Safe Mode Command Prompt"). -BUT- try "Safe Mode" -FIRST-!

First, the question about how I know the USB is fine, in the picture there is a button in the interface that says, QEMU emulator, the video instructions say that if you click the button, and it runs, then the USB was properly made.

post-395846-0-01963000-1407470563_thumb.

I took a screen shot after running the emulator

post-395846-0-19263600-1407470720_thumb.

I don't think the keyboard is flat out no good, because all the keys seem to work, except for the f keys, before the issue, I had no probs with the keyboard, although I had no occasion to use the f keys, however esc and the arrows keys are working now fine, after pressing esc and getting to choosing the media to boot, and using the arrows, to choose removable dev.

I have my wireless mouse working fine and keyboard both came together and work with one usb device plugged into the back, one laptop fan plugged into the back, usb stick in the side, and tried it the back also, after removing fan, didn't work there so put it back in the side.

I did try to install a few years ago with microsoft support inside my computer windows xp pro, but had major issues, and had to go back to xp home. So windows vista, and windows 7 I don't think they would work.

HDD replaced 3 years ago now a 500gb sata, also expanded to 2gb ram

1. Yes for every attempt!

2. Yes, I only had the choice of HDD being first, and cd/dvd being 2nd. I highlighted cd/dvd, because there was no choice of USB. I'm afraid I don't understand this portion of #2, "is there -any- options when selecting HDD to "change" it? "  to change it to what for example, cd/dvd?

3. Yes I tried esc twice only removable dev, no usb.

4.Yes I tried last best known, and it went to the xp logo screen and just ran there like when choosing to stop the auto restart.

5. That was my next question can I choose safe mde w/networking command prompt might it work even though it doesn't when I have chosen it after turning on the power and reaching the black and white menu, if so, what do I do? I see your instructions now.

In F8 the list below are my choices,   However some of these exist, in the black and white menu when I turn on the computer including the first 3 choices and start windows normally, and "last best known" however when I fist boot up, none of those choices do anything. I have tried each one, from there.

safe mode

safe mode with networking

safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging

enable VGA mode

Last best known configuration

Directory Services Restore mode

Debugging mode

Disable Automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally

Reboot

Return to OS choices menu

I did mention prior actions/conditions there was a power failure 2 days prior, and a hard shut down 1 day prior.

I will try the rest of your #5, #6 the link and your instructions, will have to get a keyboard tomorrow, can't use the other one borrowed, after tonight.

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

How come your QEMU "test" isn't the same as mine, dude? I can answer that... You did -not- follow instrctions -to the letter-. You're booting to Grub4DOS without the corresponding Files and Folders from the Tutorial! Go look at the USB contents. That screenshot *can't* be right, unless you were "testing" just the Grub4DOS bootable part.

post-72994-0-96961400-1407527718_thumb.jI have a Menu (MENU.LST+everything else), you have the Grub4DOS Prompt (grldr only). Pleas try a -Full Set- and tell me if you see what this pic shows, otherwise *you're doing it wrong*.

You should have tried the "Safe Mode Command Prompt" and run the "DISKPART" and "CHKDSK" commands I told you to use -if- it worked. The other ones are just wasting your time. *This* was in lieu of not being able to boot to USB.

As for the "Bootable Device" - is there only *one* drive listed in the access via "ESC"? This being a Netbook, it may very well not have a facility for "multiple hard disks".

This refers to an Asus EeePC (a netbook) but also refers to the BIOS settings for an AMI BIOS (yours). Don't juts "move" the Boot Order, actually *look* to see if the USB is actuall *seen* as (maybe) a Hard Disk (when using F2). It also indicates that (at least for that brand Netbook) the USB should be *seen* within the List. You've said it doesn't on yours. :(

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1787636.html

Sadly, I can't seem to find squat on your -particular- BIOS. Useless Sony Vaio links -

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4124C43C202C908F&feature=view_all

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNA790&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=howto#/howtoTab

Do *any* of these BIOS Setup screens look familiar?

http://www.passwordunlocker.com/knowledge/change-bios-settings.html

"Boot Priority" is *only* to show which one first. "Hard Disk" you would select to actuall *see* the Hard Disk (or Disks if more than one) Model, Size, etc. *Sometimes* while in "Boot Priority" you can actually Hilite and *see* the Hard Disk(s) that *could* be selected. It seems you're lacking the basic fundamentals of BIOS Setup. In light of that, can you maybe make a document that lists *each and every item* within it, including *trying to see if* there just "happens" to be more items within a given item? Not *all* items show on the particular screen but *will* if you simply Hilite and press "Enter" then a pop-up *may* appear. I just can't *believe* Sony would make a BIOS as crippled as some older Compaqs! To actually answer your question as to "seeing" the USB, in the link given scroll down to "3. Set PC's BIOS Boot from USB Flash Drive" and note that in this example the person actuall HILITED "Hard Disk" and voila, both the HDD and the USB showed. Does that clarify?

Beyond that, you're just out of luck. You haven't been following instructions to the letter, otherwise you have a crap BIOS (that will *never* boot from USB/External) and/or you clearly know nothing about BIOS. I have no time to explain it. Go find some tutorials -or- read that *whole page* I linked to to get a better understanding then come back, OK?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but you struck-through your post words after you *finally* noticed I told you to *do something* or *read this link". You're wasting valuable (my/your) time. :(

well out of disk space, wanted to show you the bios screen shot, with no usb.

I did say that I had to return the borrowed key board, & would have to buy a corded keyboard before being able to try safe mode.

Yes, there is only 1 drive listed from esc, see screen shot.

The 11th bios screen shot from your link looks like mine, minus the floppy choice.
I choose the HDD in my bios & click enter to go to the sub menu, there is no usb choice, I choose the cd/dvd and click enter to go to the sub menu, there is no usb choice. So from what I read on your link, there is no usb boot choice, so I guess I need to buy larger capacity cd's and burn another disc.

I also made screen shots of the safe mode attempt, and the safe mode with command prompt attempt, (no more space to upload screen shots) got sent to the same screen both ways, I talked about this screen when I first posted in the begining, it is the screen, that is a black background, with a whole bunch of lines of text, most of which say, multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\   then after that portion above, each line changes at the end, the last one being mup.sys  I had back then, also told this to the microsoft board, they replied with,

"When the last thing you see on the screen in Safe mode is mup.sys, lots of folks think the problem is with mup.sys and go to great lengths to try to replace it but that is not the problem at all - mup.sys has already loaded and the problem is what comes after mup.sys.

In Safe Mode after mup.sys loads, that is when XP checks the dirty bit on the volume and if a chkdsk needs to run, it is going to run and you will not see anything else on your screen - probably for a long time.  The system will appear that it is hung or stuck on mup.sys (but XP has already gone past that) and the chkdsk is probably running."

Where I struck through the post, is because I made a typo, I meant to type command prompt, but accidentally typed networking, it was strictly a typo. The other error, was because I was typing my question

*Also, I followed all of your instructions 1-9 and including watching the video under #7, but of course I replaced their tutorial #32 with your instructions from your #1 to "Download The Tutorial package ZIP file ("Tut43_FiraIso.zip" near bottom", this is why I beleived my screen shot of the test environment, looked different from the video, because I used the files from tut#43 & not tut#32.

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

I'll start off right now saying YOU DID IT WRONG!!!! STOP WATCHING THAT TUTORIAL - FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER! I specifically said the stuff WITHIN the folder, NOT THE FOLDER ITSELF! I said EXTRACT THE CONTENTS! How on Gods Green Earth did you extract?

I'll end with a screenshot and a comment - BIOS do NOT always say "USB DEVICE". My Boot Screen (the one like your ESC) Specifically lists "Sandisk" (which is my USB Device) plus the DVD Drive (only ONE of them, it has TWO) and NO HDD AT ALL. Now, in the Boot Menu (via F2, this is an Intel-based BIOS) it DOES, however list an Option "USB Boot" which is "enabled" and under "Hard Disk Drives" it lists "Sandisk" and the REAL "HDD" (named "PM-WDC" yada-yada). So, I am GUESSINg that MAYBE you can NOT boot to it. UNLESS, did you READ that whole "Screenshot" thing? Mine:

Screen #11 (Main Boot Screen, ignoring extraneous) -

1 - PXE Boot To LAN (disabled)

2 - USB Boot (enabled) <- Mine has that option BUT I have NO "REMOVABLE DEV." (you keep using that exact word)

3 - Boot Device Priority <- DO NOT PRESS THIS YET!! WRONG ONE I SPOKE OF!

4 - Hard Disk Drives <-THIS ONE!!!! Will list what it RECOGNIZES as HDD -IF MORE THAN ONE-! (I said that)

5 - CD-ROM <-This one lists BOTH of the DVD Drives, one is a Burner, the other is a Reader)

- IF I had a Floppy hooked up it WOULD list it, but I have that "disabled". YOURS does not HAVE ONE AT ALL

(side note - did you even get your User Manual from the repeated link given from Sony Support?)

* Bear in mind, my BIOS is somewhat different. To continue to the RIGHT SubMenu -

Select #4 and tell me (when you get another Keyboard), press Enter and tell me what you see. You SHOULD see the USB Device but IT MAY NOT LITERALLY SAY "USB Device"!

* I will also point out that in the "ESC" Screen it DOES NOT LIST THE OTHER DEVICES! It's LITERALLY giving ONLY the CD-ROM and USB since THAT IS WHAT I PERSONALL HAVE SET IN THE "F2" SETTINGS. IOW, you *MAY* have the USB listed in THE CORRECT SCREEN!

Sir, your terminology leaves a lot to be desired. The ISO is a DVD ISO and you will be burning to a DVD not a CD. Preferably a Single Layer DVD+R and NO OTHER and it MUST BE OF GOOD QUALITY and -preferably- burned at 4x if you are going to try that route AGAIN! I understand you -may- be PC Illiterate, but come ON, dude! You can't be THAT illeriterate, you've already stated you changed the HDD and restored to it! Did you let everything go on Autopilot? :unsure:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172356-xp-home-sp3-in-reboot-loop-no-f8no-bsod-oem-sp1-need-slipstream-bd/#entry1083041

NOW, as for USB - Have you TRIED that USB Stick in ALL OF THE PORTS? Why do I ask? -SOMETIMES- a BIOS will NOT recognize a Bootable USB Device in CERTAIN PORTS! INdedd, -SOME- BIOS won't recognize a USB Keyboard -except- in CERTAIN PORTS and will -ignore- it if in -any other-.

HERE is what the Marketing Specs say

Optional Accessories

60GB External Hard Drive (PCGA-HDM06)
External Floppy Disk Drive (VGP-UFD1)

Are you going to tell me that these won't be recognized in the BIOS and Bootable? REALLY? It -also- states it has an Intel 915PM Chipset. That's "relatively" new. IOW, that's quite a "crippled" BIOS. Since it has absolutely NO FLOPPY, one wonders how one -might- have updated the BIOS -if- one was available (it has NO INTERNAL FLOPPY!).

Look at MY snapshot of MY Bootable USB!post-72994-0-81738600-1407597934.jpgSee this difference?

Even WORSE, you have the "Tut43_FiraSO" listed TWICE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING, DUDE!!! Your FIRST "Tut43_FiraISO" -CONTENTS are correct -BUT when you -BUILT- it you did NOT take the -CONTENTS- (not the WHOLE FOLDER, but the CONTENTS) when giving the Folder Name! I -specificallu- said!

4 - Extract the WHOLE CONTENTS (folder-names and all) to (e.g.) "C:\MakeUSB" folder.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO FOLDER NAMED "Tut43_FiraISO" within the ZIP File "Tut43_FireaISO.ZIP". If you used an Unzip Program -DO NOT EXTRACT- to "Tut43_FiraISO" use "Extract To..." and BROWSE to (e.g.) "C:\MakeUSB" folder! IOW, you did NOT follow my instructions TO THE LETTER! The CONTENTS of that ZIP file is EXACTLY what MY screenshot SAYS! If you WOULD have done it that way your QEMU test would have shown what MY QEMU test showed, understand? BTW, WTH does "tut#32" have to do with my SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS?

--DO NOT WATCH ANOTHER DAMM VIDEO-- Use -my- instructions because I SPECIFICALLY SAID IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE, did I not? :realmad:

You just said

I also made screen shots of the safe mode attempt, and the safe mode with command prompt attempt, (no more space to upload screen shots) got sent to the same screen both ways, I talked about this screen when I first posted in the begining, it is the screen, that is a black background, with a whole bunch of lines of text, most of which say, multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\   then after that portion above, each line changes at the end, the last one being mup.sys  I had back then, also told this to the microsoft board, they replied with,

I call BS, you -NEVER- said you could actually -ACCESS- any options and -USED- them. You JUST NOW said you did that and, -worse-, you -CLAIM- to have said this ELSEWHERE!

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172356-xp-home-sp3-in-reboot-loop-no-f8no-bsod-oem-sp1-need-slipstream-bd/?view=findpost&p=1083504

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172356-xp-home-sp3-in-reboot-loop-no-f8no-bsod-oem-sp1-need-slipstream-bd/?view=findpost&p=1083428

We have a search facility here and you never said anything about Safe Mode except THESE two places! NEVER here!!!

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172356-xp-home-sp3-in-reboot-loop-no-f8no-bsod-oem-sp1-need-slipstream-bd/?view=findpost&p=1083629

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172356-xp-home-sp3-in-reboot-loop-no-f8no-bsod-oem-sp1-need-slipstream-bd/?view=findpost&p=1083504

DUDE! You -are- yanking chains here, and I don't appreciate the fact that you've drug this on with misinformation, lack of information, and proceeding with every instruction (even -modified- instead of -exact-) -but- what was given here.

Screen shots? How did you take Screen Shots of the "Black Screen"? With a camera? Edit you last post (before this one) and -REMOVE- those because they show -NOTHING MORE- than "you created a USB wrong" and POST AGAIN FOLLOWING THIS with the supposed "screenshots" you made for "elsewhere" ("microsoft board"). What's REALLY weird is everytime I had a "dirty bit" set is that it NEVER went to an F8-type Screen, it ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY DID CHKDSK! (You're BS'ing us here.)

AGAIN!

- WHEN you get another keyboard - SPECIFICALLY select "Safe Mode Command Prompt" and see what happens -AFTER USING "Diskpart"/"Chkdsk" INSTRUCTIONS- (that is -IF- you don't have that result that you posted "elsewhere").

- UPLOAD those Pics after deleting the Useless Pics.

- REDO THAT USB like I SAID and IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE IN REFERENCE TO BUILDING ONE! (MY way or HIGHWAY!)

- Stick the USB in a DIFFERENT PORT and try it! (two on Rear, one on Left) BE SURE THEY ARE ENABLED IN BIOS (wherever that may be, since I DO NOT KNOW what it looks like and SPECIFICALL ASKED you to write it ALL down and report it!)

- IN THE BIOS, do the SELECTION I said and TELL what it says!

* A small point but SIGNIFICANT (and MAY have a bearing on BIOS recognition)...

Within the RMPrepUSB Menu there's TWO ALTERNATIVE selections for Partition Formatting:

1 - Force Use of LBA Calls

FORCELBA - Use this option if you experience booting difficulties. The cylinder, head and sector partition values will be set to 1023/255/63 (max.) to force Extended Int 13h LBA addressing (Note: Linux may complain).

2 - Use 64hd/32sec if possible

CHS - Try this option if you have an older system BIOS or OS. FAT16 partition type will be 06 for MS-DOS 5.0 to MS-DOS 6.22 compatibility. The ZIP option uses this option automatically.

Bet you didn't even hover over them to see the descriptions, did you? ;)

(Your Country Flag says USA - what shift do you work to be posting at odd hours?)

Beyond all of the above, I no longer want to play this game. Play by OUR rules or go play in someone else' yard... :crazy:

-Apologies to Mods/SuperMods/etc... getting tiresome. Do what you will. :(

* Go here - http://www.rmprepusb.com/documents/rmprepusb-beta-versions

1 - Download The Tutorial package ZIP file ("Tut43_FiraIso.zip" near bottom).

2 - Download RMPREPUSB Installer ZIP file (near the middle).

5 - Copy the Win7 32-bit ISO file to (e.g.) "C:\MakeUSB\ISO" and rename to "win7.iso".

* You should now have all the files and folders that you need in "C:\MakeUSB" folder.

* The pre-made MENU.LST has that Filename in it. The XML files are "dummies". NO CHANGES NEEDED!

6 - Extracting RMPREPUSB Installer and run it.

7 - Run RMPREPUSB according to THIS Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaOmDS15ZWgbut point the Input Foldername (at bottom) to "C:\MakeUSB"

8 - Run RMPREPUSB and click "Install Grub4DOS"

9 - Click "Eject Drive"

Your instructions were to follow the video, in number #7, that is the "only reason" I did it.

You're booting to Grub4DOS without the corresponding Files and Folders from the Tutorial! Go look at the USB contents.

I specifically said the stuff WITHIN the folder, NOT THE FOLDER ITSELF! I said EXTRACT THE CONTENTS!

The folder itself, was what I extrated the files from, it is in the photo, to show you what I did, it was not left there to make the usb. Unless completly by accident, I did right click on it to delete it after extracting it, maybe it didn't delete, and then was "copied over in the process" of making the usb, I guess it's possible, but that was unknown to me at the time.

"Screen #11 (Main Boot Screen, ignoring extraneous) -

1 - PXE Boot To LAN (disabled)

2 - USB Boot (enabled) <- Mine has that option BUT I have NO "REMOVABLE DEV." (you keep using that exact word)"

I keep using that excact word, because if you look at the screen shot of the blue screen in the previous post, you will see highlighted in white, those words.

4 - Hard Disk Drives <-THIS ONE!!!! Will list what it RECOGNIZES as HDD -IF MORE THAN ONE-! (I said that)

After getting the wired keyboard yesterday, I went into the bios and choose the HDD, then I highlighted hdd and pressed enter in order to get into the hdd sub menu, there was no usb, or any other choices. That is whatI was trying to explain yesterday after doing it.

From my last post.  I choose the HDD in my bios & click enter to go to the sub menu, there is no usb choice, I choose the cd/dvd and click enter to go to the sub menu, there is no usb choice.

There is no choice of any kind.

You can't be THAT illeriterate, you've already stated you changed the HDD and restored to it! Did you let everything go on Autopilot?

Yes I changed the HDD and used the sony disc, to do a standard reformat. So one could call that autopilot. I have no experiance with the inner workings of computers, I know what a few parts are called, my small amount of experiance is in using graphic design software, not computer hardware, or system software.

"NOW, as for USB - Have you TRIED that USB Stick in ALL OF THE PORTS? Why do I ask? -SOMETIMES- a BIOS will NOT recognize a Bootable USB Device in CERTAIN PORTS! INdedd, -SOME- BIOS won't recognize a USB Keyboard -except- in CERTAIN PORTS and will -ignore- it if in -any other-."

Yes, all 3 ports.

Are you going to tell me that these won't be recognized in the BIOS and Bootable? REALLY? It -also- states it has an Intel 915PM Chipset. That's "relatively" new. IOW, that's quite a "crippled" BIOS. Since it has absolutely NO FLOPPY, one wonders how one -might- have updated the BIOS -if- one was available (it has NO INTERNAL FLOPPY!).

I would not presume to tell you how the bios or anything elso on a computer works, I am only telling you what I see, I tried to include photos taken with a camera to helpful, but I ran out of disk space.

Even WORSE, you have the "Tut43_FiraSO" listed TWICE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING, DUDE!!! Your FIRST "Tut43_FiraISO" -CONTENTS are correct -BUT when you -BUILT- it you did NOT take the -CONTENTS- (not the WHOLE FOLDER, but the CONTENTS) when giving the Folder Name! I -specificallu- said!

- Extract the WHOLE CONTENTS (folder-names and all) to (e.g.) "C:\MakeUSB" folder.

After I place the zipped folder into the make usb folder, and then extracted it, I thought that I had deleted the zipped folder. I somehow missed it, so when it copied the folder to the flash drive, it copied the zipped folder with it from C:\MakeUSB.

I didn't notice that I missed that, my appologies.

BTW, WTH does "tut#32" have to do with my SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS? --DO NOT WATCH ANOTHER DAMM VIDEO-- Use -my- instructions because I SPECIFICALLY SAID IGNORE EVERYTHING ELSE, did I not?

Again, I was only trying to follow your instructions and they included watch the video, see your #7, the reason for mentioning tut#32, is becuse that is what is used in the video, and I just wanted you to be aware that I did not follow that portion of the video, because you said use #43, and everything was getting so convoluted with incorrect info, I was attempting to clarify that's all.

I call BS, you -NEVER- said you could actually -ACCESS- any options and -USED- them. You JUST NOW said you did that and, -worse-, you -CLAIM- to have said this ELSEWHERE!

I said it here, I may have also said it somewhere else, I know I said it on other boards, that microsoft sent me to because as I said before, they had me try hirens, and a few others first, before ending up here.

What you are missing is that the screen I'm referening to is the one that's part of the reboot loop, not the F8 screen, I couldn't access the f8 screen. I may not have typed out exactly what that text said, in this forum, but I did mention the screen. I may not have been asked by anyone here exactly what it said, but it was not from the f8 screen stricktly the reboot loop screen, now when looking at the f8 screen I see many of the choices are the same as the reboot loop screen.  See this quote from my 3rd post back.

In F8 the list below are my choices,   However some of these exist, in the black and white menu when I turn on the computer including the first 3 choices and start windows normally, and "last best known" however when I fist boot up, none of those choices do anything. I have tried each one, from there.

safe mode

safe mode with networking

safe mode with command prompt

enable boot logging

enable VGA mode

Last best known configuration

Directory Services Restore mode

Debugging mode

Disable Automatic restart on system failure

Start Windows Normally

Reboot

Return to OS choices menu

Screen shots? How did you take Screen Shots of the "Black Screen"? With a camera? you made for "elsewhere" ("microsoft board"). What's REALLY weird is everytime I had a "dirty bit" set is that it NEVER went to an F8-type Screen, it ALWAYS AUTOMATICALLY DID CHKDSK! (You're BS'ing us here.)

Yes, of course I made them with a camera, no not for microsoft, I could only make them by accessing the screen from f8, and couldn't do that until I bought the wired keyboard, yesterday.

BTW, I don't do BS, so please don't acuse me of it. This is twice now last quote and the one before that.

it's not in my nature, if you read it that way, that's on you. :}

"Beyond all of the above, I no longer want to play this game. Play by OUR rules or go play in someone else' yard... :crazy:"

I can understand if you don't want to help anylonger and I appreciate what you have tried to do, but please don't suggest that I am playing a game, or am intentionally breaking someone's rules, because that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Will Upload after save and screen refresh, since this page still says I have no alloted disk space, even after deleting the images as instructed.

AGAIN!

- WHEN you get another keyboard - SPECIFICALLY select "Safe Mode Command Prompt" and see what happens -AFTER USING "Diskpart"/"Chkdsk" INSTRUCTIONS- (that is -IF- you don't have that result that you posted "elsewhere").

This was already done yesterday, and the response posted yesterday. Here it is again, not only was there no usb choice, there was no choices period, only hdd, highlight, click enter, no sub menu, no list no items, no nothing.

"I choose the HDD in my bios & click enter to go to the sub menu, there is no usb choice, I choose the cd/dvd and click enter to go to the sub menu, there is no usb choice. So from what I read on your link, there is no usb boot choice, so I guess I need to buy larger capacity cd's and burn another disc.

"I also made screen shots of the safe mode attempt, and the safe mode with command prompt attempt, (no more space to upload screen shots) got sent to the same screen both ways, I talked about this screen when I first posted in the begining, it is the screen, that is a black background, with a whole bunch of lines of text, most of which say, multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\windows\system32\drivers\   then after that portion above, each line changes at the end, the last one being mup.sys"

I talked about it becasue when I boot the computer, I see a black screen that says safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, and last best known, or start normally. If I choose safe mode or safe mode with command prompt, I get sent to the screen with all the text. If I choose lbk, or sn, then I get hung on the logo screen. Now from yesterday, using f8 I get that long list menu above, this is the first time I've seen this due to the bad keyboard, the list is similar but longer. When I try the choices from f8, I get the same results, as the black reboot loop screen. All microsoft board new about was the reboot loop black screen with text. It is a reboot loop becuse just below the list is a 25 sec timer, if you don't choose in those 25 seconds, the computer reboots. I couldn't access f8 when speaking to their board, and I told them so.

I can no longer redo the usb, I had to give back the loaned windows 7 laptop today.

"Bet you didn't even hover over them to see the descriptions, did you? ;)"

Hover over what exactly, to see the descriptions?

I have tried to upload more photos, but still can't after deleting the images, and refreshing the screen, I even tried making them extra small, but they still failed. I have an image of the reboot loop, and it's 4 choices, the f8 screen all choices listed above, the bios sub menu under hdd, that shows nothing and the bios sub menu under the cd/dvd.

I think my best option, is to just get another Ms xp home disk, the one I ordered from ebay, was supposed to be genuine, but it turned out to be a home made copy so I sent it back for a refund. I'll order another from a different seller and hope for the best.

Edited by <3DPRSNOW