xp home sp3 in reboot loop, no f8,no bsod, OEM sp1 need Slipstream BD

<3DPRSNOW

DUDES! There's some -serious- confusion going on!

The -list- the OP provided was from the SERVICE PACK and -not- the Sony CD/DVD!

I -want- the DIR listing from the ORIGINAL Sony CD/DVD (NOT SP3, everyone can get that) to determine -if- it indeed is a "full" set (REMEMBER that it began life as XP -HOME- with SP1 not SP3)! I -repeat- that -some- OEM's pulled a "stunt" of copying the I386 -only- after Restore (remember the difference?) -and- specifically booted into XP PRO WINPE. This, my friends, was SOP for Compaq. Trust me, I -still- have the CD's sitting right here, two variations, one for an Intel, one for an AMD (my Bro and his wife) WAY long time ago.

Again, we do -not- know whether the OP has a -full- I386 on the -SONY- CD/DVD ATM. In addition, would it -not- be wise to get the Key off the HDD' Registry and those "special" files so it will preactivate -even if the OP were to reload from scratch-?

Bottom line, since F8 is the "nonfunctional" (after POST and WHY?) -and- the Sony CD/DVD is "bootable" -and- it wants to go to Recovery Console (NOT install it) then, aren't we at an impasse? Indeed, -is- it "installing Recovery Console" or -is- it loading up some sort of Factory Restore procedure? Seriously, folks, think about it.

Please, Sir OP, provide a Directory Listing of -your- Sony CD/DVD's I386 folder and I'll gladly compare to -my- I386 (regardless of Service Pack level). We -may- be spinning some serious wheels here!

(sigh...)

Also AHEM! I reply from the last page/bottom of the Topic, you know, where the "Post" and "More Reply Options" buttons are? :crazy:

Edited by submix8c

Beg pardon, Kel... that was an "edit" that I missed (wasn't there before).

Now, if you look real close -that- is -specifically- for a WinPE as I said. It's no good. He apparently has a Restore CD.DVD (set?) and that will "wipe" his current install. The Recovery Console was -not- being installed (as I said), the CD/DVD was -literally- attempting to boot into a Recovery routine. Just like the Compaq ones I have - SoftThinks/PC-Angel/Ghost/Whatever images. (No way WIM's) File "SNYHDRCV" is a dead giveaway. Wonder what's in that "CREATECD" folder? Too bad we don't have a COMPLETE directory listing. SOMETIMES you get lucky and a crippled version of Ghost/Powerquest is used (but you would need the program to "unpack" it).

As I said, the OP will need the Product Key from the Registry, the four "special files", and a (maybe "borrowed) XP Home Edition (any SP-Level) -or- mount the HDD (somehow) in another PC to get the I386 (OEM's may have it in ROOT or "WINDOWS", moving target), along with SP3 plus a working PC to "integrate" and then "replace" the four "special" files. -UNLESS- the OP has more than one CD/DVD in a Set?

Alternative - wipe the HDD and start from scratch (Factory Restore from CD/DVD) and lose any software/data put on it from date of PC procurement. :(:no:

Aaaaand reviewing, jaclaz said sufficient and some of what I reiterated (consider this an addendum).

I now bow out/shut up. :yes:

edits? - to remind me - "Sony Vaio VGN-A790" Notebook/Laptop

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=VGNA790&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

According to the Marketing Specs, that's a SATA HDD, so you -can- plug it into a Desktop directly to get what's needed off the HDD. (Manuals/Specs tab) and it came with XP Home SP2. It's within the possibilities of "using what you have" provided a Desktop with SATA on the MoBo, a power connector, and a data cable can be used.

Edited by submix8c

I'm sorry I keep clicking the quote button to respond, but I haven't seen another way or button to click...

Scroll to top of topic page click reply to this topic Screenshot: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6A00070A32ABEBF5!258&authkey=!AJUCujehCaIE0Bs&v=3&ithint=photo%2cPNG

ok, last time I promise, I thought replying to each person seperatly, meant hitting the quotes, so when I click on the big button, it replies to each person separately, then? thanks

I hope I haven't caused alot of confusion. 

I'm finding out from the MS forum, from someone trying to help me there also, that they also had an issue with a Hirens download, and after re downloading it and burning it on a windows 7 computer that it did indeed create a bootable disk for an xp home system.

I may have been using the wrong terminology when I said repair. I am trying, they informed me, to do a chkdsk, because I have an error somewhere. I can't say for sure that my F8 key worked before this problem, because I had no occasion to use it.

I do not have a cd/dvd set it's only a single disk. I am going to upload the file print.txt again, this time it has no Hirens or nLite integration attempts on it.

The person helping me on the MS forum, says to just use my bootable usb for the hirens disk, because it will be burnable on windows 7, in order to run the chkdsk on windows xp.

If anyone knows of some way, or a better way to do this, other than buy a new disk, which I am about to do, if I can't find a way to do the chkdsk. I'm not trying to overwrite my files and software by doing a fresh/clean instal. Just trying to repair the error that is causing the reboot loop.

Again here is print.txt xp home i386 file, from my single sony disk.

xphome.zip

@ submix8c = That's why I was going for a repair installation. You are right though about the product key part. That ebay listing is (Supposedly) for a legit activate-able set.

Awesome idea about the sata and a external measures though.

I can't think of a easy way thats legal for you to run a chkdsk but jaclaz or submix8c might.

I would still get that ebay auction though. Even if the issue your having is fixed your likely at some point going to need a xp disk. Their only going to go up in price for awhile.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Something is wrong with those specs, the computer is too old to have come with if I am correct sp2, but even it did, I replaced the hdd with a WD scorpio Blue sata 500GB approximately 3 years ago and did a factory install on it.

If it's a Pentium M760, the processor came out in 2004 Q2 (so your computer came after that) and XP SP2 was launched in august 2004. So it is possible.

+If you can find any Win7 DVD, you can run a chkdsk from it.

1 - Windows 7 ISO's - pick one, any one (English, please), and download to the Windows 7 PC you have access to.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162319-win-7-iso/

2 - Burn to DVD on that Windows 7 PC that you have acces to - AS AN IMAGE (click on it)!

3 - Boot to the Burned DVD on -your- PC and enter Console (Alt+F10, AFAICR) as soon it stops at the first screen.

4 - Run "CHKDSK C: /R" and note what it -may- find and report EXACTLY what it says. Note that you -will- have to -write it down- as there will be -no method- to screen print or retain the results.

Betting that it's a Registry Hive that's been corrupted. There -is- potentially a way out of that, as we at MSFN know.

Don't bother with -another- listing of the "I386" folder. That (AGAIN) is the WinPE folder and is useless. It's sole purpose is to boot to a Windows Preinstall Environment (WinPE) for Factory Install (what you did with the -NEW- HDD). Your -real- (Full, regardless of RTM/SP1/SP2/SP3) I386 folder is (AGAIN) on the Factory Installed HDD (placed there by the WinPE from an Image of a HDD).

I had to take care of a personal matter and was unable to do this until now.

I downloaded this version, thought it best since downloading to a win7 64 bit
http://msft.digitalr...n/X17-59186.iso X17-59186.iso Windows 7 Professional x64 English

Burned with imgburn, placed in xp computer, booted waited for first window tapped alt+F10 tried twice window didn't change.

1st window said...

Windows Boot Manager

Windows Failed to Start. A recent hardware or software problem might be the cause. to fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disk, and restart your computer.
  2. Choose your language settings and then click "Next".
  3. Click "Repair your computer".

If you do not have this disk, contact your systems admin or comp manufacturer for further assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

Enter=Continue                                                                                        ESC=Exit

I have tried so many different things now and burnt many discs trying them, that I think I should probably wait for the xp home cd I got from ebay to arrive in the mail.

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

Burned with imgburn, placed in xp computer, booted waited for first window tapped alt+F10 tried twice window didn't change.

1st window said...

Windows Boot Manager

Windows Failed to Start. A recent hardware or software problem might be the cause.

It seems you're not booting from the DVD. And I don't see any need for your "alt+F10" here.

ok, the alt+F10 were part of the instructions by Submix8c, but what about this part...

Info: Attempting to load a 64-bit application, however this CPU is not compatible with 64-bit mode.

should I be pressing continue, even with the above sentence?

I chose the dvd from the menu, that I accessed, from the ESC button, before installing the disk.

Edited by <3DPRSNOW

The issue is that you chose a 64 bit iso which is a OS option that is too advanced for your system.

You have a 32 bit system (x86 architecture in geek speak) You need to grab the other iso.

EDIT = This one ----> http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59183.iso

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

I had a feeling that, "anyone" wasn't going to work, that it had to match what the xp home computer was. I will have to ask about using the last disk, each one that I've burned is a 3 hour dvd, and I've already tried 5 using different methods. May take a day to get to it.