Cannot enter BIOS setup using Del key but my keyboards DO work once I

vladv

I've got this legendary socket 939 motherboard DFI LANParty UT SLI-DR Expert chipset nForce4 SLI almost new only one SATA port is somewhat messed up missing those plastic parts from both sides , bought this baby really cheap ~ 55 $ from well known Romanian e-bay like site okazii.ro , and I put it on my FX-60 dual core processor ( yeah , the most powerful unlocked socket 939 era processor! ) and some cheap KINGSTON value memory and tried to boot my rig.Here is my problem now:I know this board is working those 4 red diagnostic LEDS start 4,3,2 next only one left so no "4 LEDs of death" syndrome for me and the onboard speaker beeps only ONCE which I know is a good thing but after that I cannot enter BIOS to setup things as I need because Del key on my PS2 ( and I tried with USB keyboard , too ) keyboard is NOT working as it should do I press that key and the result is 0 nada nothing , first I see the boot logo from DFI after that I see these error messages "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded , press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup" and when I press F1 sometimes I see this message "Verifying Pool Data and Backup CMOS OK!" and other times I see "Sil3114 SATA RAID Press Ctrl-S or F4 to enter RAID utility".One more thing to add is that I can actually use boot menu selection using Esc key to select HDD,CD-ROM or some other options like floppy disk or USB stick boot and the motherboard can actually boot using CD/DVD I already tried UBCD rescue CD and some Linux live distros to see if it's not a problem with my FX-60 processor and I'm happy that it is working well is all good no problem there actually I've seen it's name and working frequency ~ 2616 Mhz at POST screen so it cannot be defective or fryed and neither the mobo, please help me solve this little problem with my mobo.

The CMOS checksum error could be connected to a defective/worn out CMOS battery, check it (and it's contacts) first thing.

Next thing I would try (though there are risks involved in the process) would be to upgrade/reflash the BIOS firmware.

Which version of BIOS do you have?

Usually if you press Pause when booting you can see the date and version of the BIOS.

It is well possible that for any reason a "tweaked/modified" BIOS was flashed and this can be part of the problem:

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/other/114

jaclaz

The BIOS is 04/06/2006-NF-CK804-6A61FD4EC-00

This is "queer".

The NF-CK804-6A61FD4EC-00, see here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/194868-30-expert-skill-series-dual

12/07/2005 NF-CK804-6A61Fd4EC-00

seems connected to the date of 12/07/2005.

Even if the actual naming/versioning of BIOSes/corresponding files is often what I define "pure folly"  :w00t::ph34r:, it would be strange that two releases, corresponding to files NF4ED406 (04/06/2006) and NF4EDC07 (12/07/2005) show the same version on screen.

The actual page on NFI site is seemingly down, but the google cache is working:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NRGdMyVs0xIJ:www.dfi.com/DFI-Lanparty/support/MBBiosDownload.jsp%3Fshowselectvalue%3D10LP_UT%26selectBiosItemId%3D479+&cd=2&hl=it&ct=clnk&gl=it&client=opera

You could try dumping the current BIOS and compare it to the above two files from the DFI website. :unsure:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Even if the actual naming/versioning of BIOSes/corresponding files is often what I define "pure folly"  :w00t::ph34r:, it would be strange that two releases, corresponding to files NF4ED406 (04/06/2006) and NF4EDC07 (12/07/2005) show the same version on screen.

I wouldn't be surprised! :lol:

I see it occasionally from various manufacturers. Even the more confusing cases where newer BIOS has lower version number than older BIOS release. It could also be caused by a hardware revision.

Very frustrating. :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

The tools used to flash have a switch that allows to "backup" or "save" current BIOS (which is however always advised before attempting to upgrade it).

Whenever possible, you want to use a "plain" BIOS flashing tool, from a booted "clean" DOS or FreeDOS.

jaclaz

• 4 weeks later...

Should I use WinFlash or the good old Award flasher from pure DOS ?

What is the part that you didn't understand in:

Whenever possible, you want to use a "plain" BIOS flashing tool, from a booted "clean" DOS or FreeDOS.

?

:unsure:

I will try again  :) as:

(if possible) never, NEVER, NEVER (meaning actually NEVER) use a Windows based flashing tool and ALWAYS ONLY use a DOS based one, when booted in a "clean" (no autoexec.bat, no config.sys, NOTHING loaded but pure DOS) MS-DOS or FreeDOS.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz