Florida Teens Arrested - Torturing Tortoise to Death

Monroe

Another sad unbelievable story ... and these were two girls. I hope a Judge or someone will throw the book at them. I happen to like tortoises and turtles of all kinds ... being slow and helpless yet able to live longer than humans ... they always save on lodging since they carry their home with them.

When I lived in Florida in the 80's, there was a certain time of the year when turtles (or tortoises) would be all over the roads ... mating season I guess, these were country roads, not a busy highway, but I'm sure they were probably out on the busier roads also. I'd stop the car and try to get them off the road ... many had already been run over by cars but every so often I found one to save ... I'd carry or toss them as far as I could into the grass or weeds ... but I always wandered if they just didn't turn around and head for the road again. They probably did ... this was in northern Florida and I only lived there a few months so I never really got to know much about them or their habits. Just hated seeing them run over ... I was never sure which way they were headed, the side of the road I was on or the other side.

This is a terrible story and I can only hope these two girls will change for the good, since they are only teens.

Two Florida Teens Arrested After Filming Themselves Torturing Tortoise: Wildlife Officials

Jennifer Emoke Greene, 18 and a 15-year-old girl, both from Orange Park, face charges including felony cruelty to animals after an extremely disturbing video surfaced on Facebook last week. The threatened gopher tortoise is seen being kicked, lit on fire and ultimately crushed to death.

BY Nina Golgowski

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, July 25, 2014

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/teens-arrested-torturing-turtle-officials-article-1.1880668

Two teenage girls who filmed themselves setting fire to a small gopher tortoise before crushing it to death have been arrested, according to Florida wildlife officials.

Jennifer Emoke Greene, 18, and a 15-year-old girl, both from Orange Park, face charges including felony cruelty to animals after a disturbing video surfaced on Facebook last week.

The girls were seen kicking and pouring a flammable liquid on the tiny tortoise before setting it on fire while laughing as it tried to escape the flames.

"Burn baby, burn baby. Now you're scared of us, huh?" says one of the animal abusers.

A second video allegedly captured one of the two girls then stomping on the animal's shell until it broke and the tortoise died.

Gopher tortoises are a threatened wildlife species in the state of Florida and consequently protected under state law.

"We take these issues very seriously," said Col. Calvin Adams, director of the Florida Wildlife Conservation's Division of Law Enforcement. "We appreciated the help from the public and our partners in working to protect our valuable natural resources."

Authorities said they were tipped off to the video on July 15.

The two girls were arrested this week and charged with felony cruelty to animals, a third-degree felony, and taking, harassing, harming or killing a gopher tortoise, a second-degree misdemeanor.

If convicted, Greene faces up to five years in prison on the animal cruelty charge and up to 60 days in jail and/or a $500 fine for the misdemeanor charge.

The younger teen will be prosecuted as a juvenile.

Edited by monroe

You know, while I wouldn't mind eating one of those things. A tortoise in the wild is something I would rather have as an pet rather then a meal. In fact I would rather let the thing run free. We had a tortoise in our yard one time ( one that lives deep in the ground ). My younger sibling gave it away behind our backs to a neighbor nextdoor. I don't know if it lived or not??? Since the next door neighbors are kinda off.

A video of that nature should not lead to an arrest. You know what I mean. If they can arrest a person for that; we should be able to go to war with Canada for seal smashing holiday and Japan for religious whale eating practices.

However some moron posting this crap on Facebook deserves what they get. I have seen all kinds of things on Orgish ( back when origish did not require a membership ). All kinds of grusum stuff; and nobody deserved to be arrested for these things at all. All kinds of things. That is just stuff that happens in the world; and is not new. I would call this a violation of privacy; but that privacy is waved on facebook and twitter.

That is why facebook, twitter, instagram, flicker, and anything of that sort must be forgotten about. I can't wait till the crazies who start blaming facebook for their problems start coming out of the wood work. It is going to be OJ Simpson all over again.

Just yesterday somebody tried to get me to say negative things video taping me like that sportsman guy. Talking about instagram. What is this world coming to.

Edited by ROTS

Two days ago we saw a big ol' snapping turtle trying to cross State Road 7 west of Lantana.  We passed it before we knew what it was and we stopped about a hundred yards or so past it.  As we were backing up to get back to it so that we could help it get off the road another person stopped closer, got out, picked it up, and walked it to the swampy brush off the road.  The guy was good or lucky as these are quite fast and can actually inflict a painful bite.

There are still good people in the world who try to help rather than harm.

-Noel

Anything that goes for my finger; does not want my help. The last thing I want is to get out from my car and pick up a tortoise/turtle only to have it turn around only to snap off my finger.

It's against the law to torture a single turtle, but.... It's okay to pollute the oceans and use them as the world's toilet. And they wonder why all the starfish are melting into balls of goo.

"Victoria pumps an average of 82 million litres of raw sewage daily into waters just off Victoria’s harbour."

http://www.victoriasewagealliance.org/index_files/FactsVictoriaSewageAlliance.htm

Edited by LostInSpace2012