What else can you tweak to make Windows 8.1 run faster

Bakuchris

What is it, in particular, that you are you hoping to accomplish?  This thread is about increasing performance, and disallowing the system to maintain itself seems the antithesis to that.

I don't hope to accomplish anything marvellous. Just want to make sure whether it is bad or not if I disable the automatic maintenance. I installed Auslogics Disk Defrag long time ago and like to run it manually like once a month to defrag the disks. I don't want this job to be done so regularly by Windows itself, so I turn it off, and that's all. 

Btw, I understand this thread just as it was stated in the topic and think my question is somewhat related so I asked. Isn't it that turning off something running in the background will make Windows run faster? 
Edited by Aloha

Generally speaking, the fewer processes you run, the more resources will be available for other work.  That being said, items scheduled via the Task Scheduler don't take up resources while they're not running.

I don't honestly know the answer to your question about whether there's long-term harm in disabling the entire maintenance process.  It's my impression that some of the things it does are actually beneficial. 

Like you, I'm interested in having the most resources available for use, and I actually have disabled a lot of stuff.  But I've left the scheduled optimization running - with exceptions:   Even though the overall scheduled optimization process is still intact, I disabled the defragger for some drives. 

If you want to disable scheduled defragging by Microsoft's software, then there is a direct way to do just that...  If you bring up the Disk Defrag GUI, you will find the ability to exclude drives via the [Change Settings] button.  This will leave the rest of whatever Microsoft chooses to do (which is opaque to us) intact.  My philosophy is that I disable things I know the implications of, and so far I've had pretty good long-term success with keeping WIndows functional and fast.

OptimizeDrivesDisabled.png

Good luck getting your system just the way you like it..

-Noel