How much damage did you see on 8-to-8.1 update?

osRe

HarryTri, there was a way through it without formatting.  I don't remember the specific prompts any more.

It put virtually everything even remotely involved with the OS into a Windows.old folder, which it then proceeded to delete things from a few days later.  I already knew it would do that and I had a separate backup.  The other stuff, e.g., folders I have like \BIN, \COMMON, etc. it just left in place.

Shae, I'm thinking maybe the thing to do in this silly "new release a year" environment is to always wait for the SP1 or .1 release, and install that afresh.  Get to know the .0 version in virtual machines.  At least that philosophy would require a full install only every couple of years.

And yes, I agree that a full system reinstall isn't something one should have to do often at all.

-Noel

Whether or not it's best to wait for the first substantial update of an OS, until now no point release required a reinstall so those who didn't want to wait were in for a surprise. At least those who tweaked or installed non-trivial software. :)

We may see where things are headed with 8.2 in a few months.

Edited by shae