Chrome browser on Pentium III / Athlon XP machines!

jaffar

As you know Google had stopped supporting non-SSE2 CPUs like Pentium III and Athlon XP.

Can anyone here compile a chrome/chromium version that works on these CPUs?

Please help me because I hate Firefox!

Thanks in advance

You can try using IE8, it isn't so horrible as they say. As for security, I think the post-SP3 updates (I suppose you have SP3), a good antivirus and - ideally - a good router with firewall will suffice.

You can try using IE8, it isn't so horrible as they say. As for security, I think the post-SP3 updates (I suppose you have SP3), a good antivirus and - ideally - a good router with firewall will suffice.

I don't care about security, the problem with IE8 is that so many websites don't work with it anymore!

What about Opera? It is the browser I use daily on my PC. The latest version (Opera 22) and all opera 15+ versions use the Google Chrome engine.

Also, opera 12.xx (not as often updated, uses the presto engine) also works.

Hope this suggestion helps!

• 4 months later...

The newest versions of Chrome require SSE2 which Pentium III does not have.

You can download the last SSE version I archived, Google Chrome 26: http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/EOL/GoogleChrome_26.0.1410.5.exe

Make sure you manually update the PepperFlash plug-in to the current version so you at least have some increased level of security: http://sdfox7.com/xp/sp3/pepperflash/pepflashplayer.dll

You can follow my specific instructions here from August: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532060/this-computer-will-soon-stop-receiving-google-chrome-updates/#entry3444390

• 4 weeks later...

Actually the very last version of Google Chrome to work on Intel Pentium 3s / AMD Athlon XP-K7 Semprons is version 34.0.1847.137.

I'm using this version of Chrome 34 on an old XP SP3 computer (Intel Celeron 1.1Ghz with 512Mb of RAM)

Chrome 35 and above require Intel Pentium 4 with SSE2 & AMD K8 (X2) CPUs or better.

Edited by erpdude8

• 1 year later...

Actually the very last version of Google Chrome to work on Intel Pentium 3s / AMD Athlon XP-K7 Semprons is version 34.0.1847.137.

I'm using this version of Chrome 34 on an old XP SP3 computer (Intel Celeron 1.1Ghz with 512Mb of RAM)

Chrome 35 and above require Intel Pentium 4 with SSE2 & AMD K8 (X2) CPUs or better.

An update to an old post, but relevant for people with SSE (non-SSE2) processors:

The link in the above post no longer works. The closest you will get is to download an archived version of Chromium 34.0.1847.0. I have not come across build 34.0.1847.137 anywhere.

You can access it here: http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?prefix=Win/251854/

Download the mini_installer.exe

I have not come across build 34.0.1847.137 anywhere.

Did you try here:dubbio:

Dencorso

I did. The problem with that link is that it only downloads an 800KB stub. I searched the ends of the internet and have not found a full installer anywhere else.

I know from past experience that once you download the stub, it will connect to Google's servers and download the current full installer-- which is not compatible with SSE processors and will fail to run.

@sdfox7

If you still have interest on the Google Chrome Version 34.0.1847.137, have sent you a PM.

:)

Sounds interesting. I would be interested in archiving this in my /xp directory. Apparently your file is password-protected?

@sdfox7

The download is password protected, the content is a 7z SFX (created with 7z SFX Builder) which is not password protected. Can be easily unpack with WinRAR since version 4.2, as well with 7z Packer since version 9.2.

(Therein the control contain files, in the directory "Installer" updater and installer program, that can be installed with appropriate commands manually.)

:)

Edited by heinoganda

• 7 months later...

Also searching latest with non-SSE2 CPU requirements FULL chrome (NOT Chromium, SrwIron etc...!!!) standalone installer either entrerprise one (mostly MSI) or EXE - normal standalone one. :)

Edited by bearwindows

You may have to rename GoogleUpdate.exe to GoogleUpdate.bak in "C:\Program Files\Google\Update" to prevent Chrome from updating itself.

If installation fails you can run the setup program in a directory of "C:\Program Files\Google\Update\Offline" as an alternative.

This tip or this tip is also useful if you need to run flash content in Chrome.