NIC settings being ignored/lost

doveman

I have a dual-boot Win7/Win7 and whilst one is fine, every time I boot into the other (newer, cleaner) I have no network connection and checking the settings shows that the gateway is blank and I have to set it back to 192.168.1.254. 

It's also ignoring the IP setting, which is set to 192.168.1.64 and is currently using 192.168.1.67. Anyone got any ideas how to fix this weirdness?

Are you using the same Computer Name for both? My router specifically uses Computer Name (Host Name) and correlates it to a given NIC (the hard-wired firmware Network Address). That -might- make the Router (whatever make/model is) "confused".

So if you set the gateway to 192.168.1.254 you do have network connection ? With IP 67 instead of 64 ? What if you reboot then (in that same OS). Is the gateway blank again or is it only lost when booting OS 1 then OS 2 ?

Are you using the same Computer Name for both? My router specifically uses Computer Name (Host Name) and correlates it to a given NIC (the hard-wired firmware Network Address). That -might- make the Router (whatever make/model is) "confused".

Yeah, both Windows have the Computer Name set to X4 but if anything, I would have thought this would make it use the same IP, not ignore the settings and use a different one

So if you set the gateway to 192.168.1.254 you do have network connection ? With IP 67 instead of 64 ? What if you reboot then (in that same OS). Is the gateway blank again or is it only lost when booting OS 1 then OS 2 ?

Yep, setting it to 192.168.1.254 and it starts working, albeit with IP .67, ignoring that it's set to .64.

Whether I boot to OS2 again or OS1 first and then OS2, it's lost the gateway again each time I boot.

I'll try uninstalling the NIC and reinstalling it, maybe that will fix it.

OK, here's what I was getting at. Please note that EVERY SINGLE ITEM in the NIC's Properties->TCP/IP Settings is the Defaults and I do NOT hard-code -any- values!

Windows IP Configuration   Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sound-sc8uije2w   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No   DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.netEthernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : gateway.2wire.net   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-EC-F5-E5-1A <=PHYSICAL ADDRESS OF NIC   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254   DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, July 15, 2014 11:04:04   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 16, 2014 11:04:04

Now take a look at my Router settings (see next codebox). NOTE that the last one is from a USB Wireless I temporarily had plugged in so it automatically correlated my HostName (sound-yadayada) to the Wireless NIC's -PHYSICAL ADDRESS-! Routers generally use -PHYSICAL- -PLUS- The HostName to hand out IP's to any given Device. Note that I have -HARD ASSIGNED- one NIC (the one listed in the codebox above) within the ROUTER. The OS is given "Automatic" for -EVERYTHING-.

The point? I -specifically- asked if you have set the SAME HOSTNAME (in my example "sound-yadayada") for both OS1 and OS2. I may have mis-spoke. HOW is the OS1/OS2 -and- the Router set up? The -ROUTER- settings will have a LOT to do with it! NOTICE that MINE is FIXED to a given NIC's PHYSICAL ADDRESS!

Please note that I have a Triple-Boot setup and -each- OS1/OS2/OS3 is set to "Automatic" (NO HARD-CODING IP'S AT ALL!) Also note the VM98SE in the codebox below. See that it had AUTOMATIC ASSIGNMENT OF OTHER THAN x.x.x.64? This is via a Test Win98SE on a VPC2007 which "simulates" a different type NIC and "reroutes it" through VM Software which -then- provides an Entirely Different Physical Address.

Advanced SettingsEdit Address Allocation Settings SettingsSpecify Device Addressing and Public/WAN IP Address MappingFirewall                   Current      DeviceProtection Device          Address      Status         Address AssignmentY          sound-sc8uije2w 192.168.1.64 Connected DHCP Prv Fixed: 192.168.1.64Y          VM98SE          192.168.1.69 Connected DHCP Prv pool: 192.168.1.0Y          sound-sc8uije2w 192.168.1.73 Not Connected  Prv pool: 192.168.1.0--sound-sc8uije2wConnection Type: EthernetIP Address: 192.168.1.64IP Address Allocation: DHCPIP Address Type: Private (NAT)Hardware Address: 00:16:ec:f5:e5:1a--VM98SEConnection Type: EthernetIP Address: 192.168.1.69IP Address Allocation: DHCPIP Address Type: Private (NAT)Hardware Address: 00:03:ff:1c:bd:9c

Again, your OS1/OS2 Settings -PLUS- the Router settings determine -HOW- your IP is assigned. Obviously, your OS1/OS2 is using the -SAME PHYSICAL NIC ADDRESS- It is -=currently unknown- how your ROUTER is set up. I -SUPPOSE- that I coulds REBOOT into one of my OTHER OS's to ptove my point, but I'm telling you that you're looking strictly at the OS1/OS2 Settings and fiddling with them as opposed to looking at the Router Settings. AGAIN, -DO YOU- have different HostName between OS1/OS2? Generally, a Router will assign (via DHCP within the Free Pool Range) whatever it likes regardless of OS1/OS2 using the DHCP Server/DNS Server assigned (in my case AUTOMATIC).

Humor me - look in the Router for some Advanced Settings and tell me what you see. Quit hard-assigning your Dual-Boot, let them BOTH auto-assign -EVERYTHING-. I will -assume- you are using two different HostNames (ComputerName) between OS1/OS2 so other PC's on the LAN can distinguish which one is running? I see no ther reason for having different between them.

Seriously, the ROUTER will have a LOT to do with your "problem". Your trying to fix it within OS1/OS2.

C-ya after you provide Router Info (including make/model, mines the stock ISP-provided ATT 2Wire), OK?

HTH

(hope I don't have to come back and edit this due to errors...)

(I -may- come back and edit -after- I Reboot to a different OS Hostname to check the Router IP Assignment to the SAME PHYSICAL NIC.)

Thanks for that submix8c but I'm happy to say it appears to be fixed after uninstalling and reinstalling the NIC.

I have to use a hardcoded IP address as my RPi XBMC box looks to 192.168.1.64 to populate it's library, so if one OS uses a different IP, XBMC can't find any of my movies.

I can tell you that the hostname in both OS is set to X4 and I don't have any need for it to be different between the two OS. My router is rather crap (BT HomeHub3) and doesn't give me any useful information, in fact it doesn't even show my PC as connected at all and only seems to show devices using DHCP (i.e. my RPi), which isn't very helpful to say the least!

Just for the record, "hard coded" means you can't change it. You use "fixed IP,", nothing hard coded here. ((I know, the fault was "induced")). ;)

Yeah, my mistake. Although it sort of was 'hard coded' before I uninstalled/reinstalled the NIC, as I couldn't change it from .67 ;)