Applications built with Visual Studio 2013 x64 crash!

ppgrainbow

Naah, it was just curiosity :), IF the 32 bit version works fine on your Vista AND there is NO noticeable differences (in practice, i.e. speed, features, capabilities, etc.) between the 32 bit and the 64 bit version in (say) Windows 7 SP1 it's hard for me to understand the reason why you spent more than (still say) 8 minutes in troubleshooting the issue (that seems in my perverted mind a non-issue).

Call me "tough" and "hairy reasoner" as much as you want, as I have no idea (and actually I am not particularly interested in learning) what exactly it is AVX code, but it either provides a noticeable bettering in *something* or it does not.

If the bettering (if any) is not noticeable then I wouldn't pursue this "chase" for AVX code support, while of course if you are doing this for the fun of it :) or to boldly go where no man has gone before ;), I can understand entirely :yes:.

JFYI:

http://reboot.pro/topic/17568-what-advantage-hold-64-bit-programs-over-their-32-bit-version/

jaclaz

I see what you mean there. I'll take a look at the link that you showed me and discover the advantages of running 64-bit software over the 32-bit version.

Edited by ppgrainbow

ok, install the VC++ 2010 Express version and compile the code on your own and make sure nothing related to AVX is selected in the compiler options.

I think that I will head to the AtariAge forums and let them know what could be up with the 64-bit version of Stella 4.0.

In other words, I think that I will have to stick with the 32-bit version of the software built with MSVC 2013 as this will most likely be the latest 32-bit version of the compiler that will work with Windows XP/Vista.

Edited by ppgrainbow

The current official version of Stella is compiled with MSVC2013 and can be compiled using MSVC2012. The source can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stella/files/stella/4.0/stella-4.0-src.tar.gz/download

check your PM and look if my compile works for you

I got your note and found that the 64-bit version of Stella 4.0 worked on Windows XP x64 and Windows Vista x64 worked when it is compiled with Visual Studio 2012 and without AVX support! :)

I will take this issue to the AtariAge forums, if possible.

I got your note and found that the 64-bit version of Stella 4.0 worked on Windows XP x64 and Windows Vista x64 worked when it is compiled with Visual Studio 2012 and without AVX support! :)

nice to hear this :)

:)