This problem has been making me rip my hair out in large clumps... and I've reformatted this ****ing thing about 17 times in one night solid.

Whenever I install Windows 98SE, install DirectX 9.0c, and then the Unofficial Service Pack 3 and reboot, things seem to be fine, however some USB Devices won't work until I install the USB 2.0 stack (from USBStack.exe that U98SESP3 puts into /windows/system/).

But now, the problem is, once I install that, and reboot, my Windows 98 hangs on boot if there are any USB Devices plugged in. If I leave them unplugged, it boots fine. Once I plug everything back in, I get an NTKERN.VXD error, and the devices still do not work. I fixed the NTKERN.VXD error by copying NTKERN.VXD from /VMM32 into /System, however, the hang on boot is still there.

I have no way of uninstalling the USB2.0 Stack from Add/Remove Programs, and I have no clue how to solve my current problems. I think I might have f***ed up too by not deleting the right files/infs before installing USBStack.exe. I want to get rid of the thing entirely and fix this problem, and perhaps install NUSB instead, but I don't know where I should begin.

*sigh* I'm really getting p***ed off and stressed with this thing. I've already spent an entire week trying to figure this out... time wasted when I could be actually using a functional system and doing something productive.

Is there anyone out there who can help me sort this problem out?

Edited by StrikerMan780

It's not clear what USB devices you're speaking about. If it's mass storage ones then this is "normal" (bug) I think as I can't boot into Windows ME either if any USB mass storage device is plugged. Not sure if there is a solution or workaround beyond unplugging those device for booting as I haven't really much followed USB discussions on here.

You should give say which devices exactly causes crash when you plug  after boot them otherwise I am afraid nobody's gonna be able to help you with that. 

Usually I fix any USB problem I have by deleting all the USB subkeys in the registry under the HKLM/Enum key and reboot but I don't think this is going to help you. You can try nonetheless.

Edited by loblo

I mainly want to know how I can perhaps remove the USB 2.0 Stack and revert to stock Windows 98 stuff.

But here are the specs:

ASUS A7S333 Motherboard

AMD Athlon XP 1.4ghz

768mb RAM (with 512mb+ RAM fix for Windows 98SE)

Windows 98SE w/ U98SESP3

NVidia GeForce 6200

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Two Diamond Monster 3D 2's in SLI (Voodoo2)

Edited by StrikerMan780

Don't do this because I say so. Do it only on your own reponsibility.

It may work, it may hose the system or it may even simply be useless...

Rename USB.INF to USB.OFF and USBSTOR.INF to USBSTOR.OFF and delete USB.PNF and USBSTOR.PNF if they exist.

Reboot into safe mode, go to the Device Manager and delete everything USB there.

Check each of the OEM?.PIF and if any one of them refers to anything USB, rename .INF to .OFF and delete .PNF, else leave alone.

Reboot and install NUSB33e.

Install 98SE and then NUSB - nothing else. See if the problem persists when U98SESP3 is not involved.

When you have 98SE set up and are ready to install NUSB all you need to do is open Control Panel / System and remove all USB devices from the Device Manager and then run NUSB. No need to delete or rename any files. Everything will be redetected and reinstalled on reboot. Don't connect any external USB devices to the system until AFTER NUSB has been installed and you have rebooted the system a second time.