Windows 7 laptop over heating

asdfg

Hello, i have an HP Compaq nc6400 which i installed windows 7 on. it previously had windows xp on it, and i upgraded by doing a clean install. On windows xp, it ran at 47 degrees Celsius while browsing the internet, but on windows 7, it once went to 95 degrees Celsius while browsing the internet. The laptop already has a cooling pad and i had dusted it just recently. i searched the internet about my problem but none of the answers seemed to work. should i try another operating system rather than windows 7? i also havent installed all the drivers yet.

The laptop:

Hp compaq nc6400

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit 

4gb ram

intel centrino duo 1.83ghz dual core

Most likely, your computer is simply dirty. It is necessary to open and clean the inside - is especially important to clean the fan blades (the impellers). 

Also 1.83GHz is a bit slow. Normal would be at least 2.1 - 2.3 GHz, if you want the Windows 7 and Windows 8-8.1 operates normally.

Even. if you use the 2.1 GHz CPU, Your machine will employ about two times faster.

But the cause of overheating is a dirty fan blades. Soon, the computer will automatically switch off and You can't understand, what's the reason. Everything seems OK. but computer turns off. also if it standing idle. 

Edited by kaljukass

Of course cleaning the internals is a must but something I have heard recently is if you are using the mains to power the lappie is to remove the battery.

I hope some of the more expert on this site can confirm or deny this

95°C is bad, very bad. Were your 47° measured long time ago or a few days/weeks before the Windows7 install ?

Does the CPU hit the roof as well (in Task Manager) ? Does the fan run all the time? The battery is not an issue unless you have the impression that the battery heats up itself.

Maybe connected, maybe not, I have seen stupidly powerful videocards in laptops with the GPU connected to the heatsink by means of "thermal pads" (as opposed to thermal paste) that over the years dried up (or however were not anymore a good means to transmit heat to the).

Cleaning and putting new thermal paste worked for them, lowering noticeably temperature.

It is very possible that replacing the "dried up" thermal pad with a new one would do the same, of course.

jaclaz

What are the other temperatures?

speccy_zpsff3d95a7.png

Get Speccy:

Homepage: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Installer:  http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard

Zip version: http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/portable

(if zip, not needed to install, simply unzip it and you can use it - difference between standard and pro is only, that with pro You can save your data as xml or text or snapshot file)

speccy say my cpu is at 93 degrees celsius, my motherboard is at 85 degrees celsius and my hard drive is at 36 degrees celsius.

I took out the battery and i am still geting the same results. The laptop is making an awful smell( better turn it of) and cpu usage is at 93% :no:

If the power supply device fan works properly, computer overheating is usually due to dust accumulation. 

To withdraw this dust you may use your domestic floor vacuum cleaner, as follows:

1.- Switch off your computer. 

2.- If you use a desktop remove the covers of the mainboard space and apply the tip of the suction hose to every place where dust accumulation is seen and also to the back side of the power supply, so that all the dust is sucked.

4.- If your computer is a laptop you only need to apply the tip of the suction hose to each and every hole at the bottom of it. The reduced dimensions of the inner space considerably increases the strength of the air vacuum.

HTH

now that i think of it, i don't think windows 7 is fit for a computer that was "Designed for Windows XP". I probably should just going to try another operating system that is better for my laptop( windows xp again maybe?)

That computer with 4Gig of RAM should run Win7 just fine. Obviously,

-Win7 is unlikely to have introduced a ton of dust in your laptop.

-Dust is unlikely to get your CPU to 93%

If your CPU is 93% when doing nothing, something went wrong with your install or you have wrong/missing drivers or you have malware or unwanted/unneeded programs.