Continuing Support for Windows XP (Unofficial)

tacorwin

Hello everyone! :)

So, the other day, I was reading a blog post somewhere (lost the link) but it said that roughly 20% of Windows-based computers are still running Windows XP. This got me thinking about creating an unofficial "Microsoft Update" that will specifically aim to provide user-created hotfixes and updates.

Now, the first step I decided to take, was to find a Service Pack 4, more or less, that will provide all of the Windows Updates post-SP3 to XP's end of life. I ended up finding that @harkaz is creating exactly what I was looking for. (http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/171171-introducing-unofficial-windows-xp-sp4/) Note that I have also found the registry "hack" that provides POSReady updates for XP, so security updates aren't a big concern.

The next step is to find people who either have made, or are willing to make hotfixes for Windows XP, or to find a place that contains hotfixes post-EoL for XP.

So this is pretty much where I'm at with this idea. I've started to design the GUI for the application, but it has no functionality whatsoever at the moment. And thoughts, ideas, concerns, questions, or something? Basically all I'm looking for is feedback from the community. :)

Thanks!

See this thread. Keep in mind that redistribution of MS binaries on MSFN.org is forbidden by the forum rules and by MS themselves (unless you're talking redistributables).