11 inch laptop (win2k)

Curious if anyone has any recommendations on purchasing a cheap laptop around 8-11 inch or so which can run win2k.  Looking for something under 200.

Plenty of x86 Windows tablets out there but those are primarily Win8 only for obvious reasons

Hi.

I used Panasonic Let'snote R series and J Series.

It is 10 inch Note PC with Core 2 Duo and Core i5 CPU.

I installed windows 2000 in it.

Curious if anyone has any recommendations on purchasing a cheap laptop around 8-11 inch or so which can run win2k.  Looking for something under 200.

Plenty of x86 Windows tablets out there but those are primarily Win8 only for obvious reasons

I use a HP TC-1100 as my tablet. It runs Windows 7 now, but previously ran XP.
I'd revert back if it weren't for support and some of the nice features Windows 7 adds to the tablet - but its useless for anything that involves a lot of flash content (Chrome refuses to render pages quickly, and Firefox grinds up on YouTube...)

That machine, being from the early XP era *should* be capable of Windows 2000 operation - though you'd be missing some operation.

You're probably best off getting something from around that time, ex-fleet. Dell's Latitude (with Attitude :P series), or older Toshiba models (The Tecra) or older Acer's (except the P4-Preshott models) should be solid, dependable choices for this application.

I used to own a Toshiba Tecra 2300, ex-fleet, it did run Windows 2000 "once upon a time." It was a nice machine.

Whatever you decide to get, do avoid non-SSE2 processors. They're too old, and newer versions of MSVS enable compilation for SSE2, even when totally unneeded, by default, so many compatibility problems lie ahead of non-SSE2 processor computer users.

I'm an Athlon XP user, myself, and I'm already envisaging having to retire some 4 perfectly good machines in the near future just because of lack of SSE2 support.

Are you looking for new laptops or used laptops? Obviously, most (all?) of the answers are going to trend towards the latter category...

I run Windows 2000 on a twelve-year-old Dell Inspiron 2600 that I got for free. I seldom vouch for Dell as a company, but they still offer Win2000 driver downloads for the system.

Thanks all for the replies.
I was thinking of something that was released in the last year or 2.  I have D630s which can run win2k flawlessly but they get hot/screens tend to die/can run loud.   Basically any fanless laptop thats been released over the last few years will do ..

I'll keep shopping around

I have also Chinese Clevo note PC.

But the note PC has problem with battery.

It made too hot and went to break. (I used it  on Windows 7)

I heard many such same cases as me.

I don't recommended it.

Thanks all for the replies.
I was thinking of something that was released in the last year or 2.  I have D630s which can run win2k flawlessly but they get hot/screens tend to die/can run loud.   Basically any fanless laptop thats been released over the last few years will do ..

I'll keep shopping around

Edited by blackwingcat

@blackwingcat Possibly from next year I will live in Japan.  At that time I might try to find such a PC.. until then I might refit a d630 and underclock it..

• 2 weeks later...

Should I assume speedstep is being handled by win2k on a Dell D630?  Should I disable it or is there a mysterious hidden Dell speedstep driver out there which I'm not aware of?  Thanks as always for any help

I always thought that SpeedStep was controlled by the system's BIOS, and your Chipset drivers would handle anything changed/monitored through Windows.

If you open System Properties during High/Low CPU demand times - you should be able to see what, if anything, is going on in regards to the clock speed. 

Another solution would be installing "RMClock," which is a monitoring app I used on the TC1100 to under volt (thus reducing the fan usage), and control the processor speed. 

Unless I'm handwriting, it'll will hang on 600MHz at the desktop, or when browsing less scripted sites. If I write or open an app, the speed is bumped to 1.2GHz (after going through 800MHz, 1GHz etc).