Oatbox

Hey, everybody!

Advice on this is subject scattered through several threads; I felt it deserved its own.

What 98/98SE-compatible browser is best for YouTube?

I'm currently running a 450MHz Pentium III with 256MB of RAM.

IE6 & K-Meleon are what I'm using.  Haven't installed KernelEX.

Thanks in advance!

The problem is the Adobe Flash Player. The last one to run/work on 98SE has real heartburn with YouTube since most (if not all) require a later version than will work on 98SE, regardless of KeX. YouTube isn't the only website afflicted with this malady.

Sorry, you may be out of luck (unless someone else chimes in).

Google this

youtube 98se site:msfn.org

HTH

I can do it pretty successfully (occasionally a bit pokey) with:

- Pale Moon v3.6.32 / Firefox v3.6.28
- Flash Player v11.1.102.63 DLL installer
- Flash Player NPSWF32.DLL v11.6.602.180 manually copied to Flash directory

Additionally, the NoScript extension (works with both PM and FF) helps to speed up my browsing in general:

http://noscript.net/

and you can turn it's various features on/off automatically or manually when needed.  

I also like the Tweak Network extension:

http://www.bitstorm.org/extensions/tweak/

Of course, KernelEx is necessary as well.  

- Doug B.

same as above, firefox 3.6.28 and flash player 11.1, the higher the flash player the more resource hungry it is, especially in ver.14.  The only  problem I have is being able to play a purchased movie on youtube- it crashes flash player (seems like any version) after about 20 seconds.

Yup! Those are undoubtedly the ones (of many others) that do NOT work with older Flash Player.

Again, so sorry. :( The only other alternative to play those is a newer OS that allosw for newer Flash Player.

HTH

Latest flash (v14) runs fine in Opera 12.02 with KernelEx and KxStub. And it runs better and smoother than previous versions which were quite buggy IMO.

Problem with html5 videos is that no browser running on 98/ME supports the VP9 codec which YouTube now uses for those if I am not mistaken.

@loblo

This subtopic I know comes up frequently, but I still am interested to know: Are there any people who are testing newer browsers on 9X? I like Opera 12 but what about 12.16/17? When I tried both the following message came up before I could install: "Failed to load opera.dll because the specified procedure could not be found."

Is there a workaround? Kexstubs? UPX, maybe?

@loblo

This subtopic I know comes up frequently, but I still am interested to know: Are there any people who are testing newer browsers on 9X? I like Opera 12 but what about 12.16/17? When I tried both the following message came up before I could install: "Failed to load opera.dll because the specified procedure could not be found."

Nope, not so far, Opera 12.02 is the most recent "big" browser that can run AFAIK. And if somebody had been successful at running a more recent version, we would have heard about it I think. As I posted in another thread, the further I managed with 12.16 or 17 is have it to load but I always got a message that autoupdate fails or something like that and I never got to see the UI. I couldn't find a workaround for that and I finally gave up after many attempts, I am happy with 12.02 anyway as it does everything I need and some more.

@oatbox and @all-others

Latest flash (v14) runs fine in Opera 12.02 with KernelEx and KxStub. And it runs better and smoother than previous versions which were quite buggy IMO.

Problem with html5 videos is that no browser running on 98/ME supports the VP9 codec which YouTube now uses for those if I am not mistaken.

Now do you understand?

Thank you loblo. I will point to this topic when the subject comes up (again). We are beating this one to death! Face it, folks, that's the reason. Live with the occasional failure -or- upgrade the OS that will allow for a Browser that supports it. Simple as that. ;)

HTH

@loblo

Nope, not so far, Opera 12.02 is the most recent "big" browser that can run AFAIK. And if somebody had been successful at running a more recent version, we would have heard about it I think. As I posted in another thread, the further I managed with 12.16 or 17 is have it to load but I always got a message that autoupdate fails or something like that and I never got to see the UI. I couldn't find a workaround for that and I finally gave up after many attempts, I am happy with 12.02 anyway as it does everything I need and some more.

Opera 12.02 is fine for now and probably for ~2 more years. But my only suggestion is that I am wondering about is, what would happen if we deleted the auto updater exe, even though we couldn't auto update. Lastly, has anyone had any luck with Firefox 13+? It may be to vc++ not working on Win 98.

>I'm currently running a 450MHz Pentium III with 256MB of RAM.

That's probably not fast enough to get smooth and synchronized audio and video unless you use one of the older Flash versions such as 8 or 9..but they can't show the new controls. :(

>purchased movie on youtube- it crashes flash player (seems like any version) after about 20 seconds.

Illegal Instruction or Page Fault?

>Latest flash (v14) runs fine in Opera 12.02 with KernelEx and KxStub. And it runs better and smoother than previous versions which were quite buggy IMO.

Wow! What CPU and how much RAM are you feeding it?

>Problem with html5 videos is that no browser running on 98/ME supports the VP9 codec which YouTube now uses for those if I am not mistaken.

Opera 10.63-12.17 uses GStreamer:

Opera uses the GStreamer multimedia framework and the GLib utility

library. GStreamer and GLib are covered by the GNU LGPL license.

A copy of the license can be found in LGPL.txt in this directory.

This directory contains binaries of GStreamer libraries and plugins

for platforms that do not natively include them. The source code can

be downloaded from http://sourcecode.opera.com/gstreamer/

We might be able to transplant the Opera 12.17 GStreamer dll's into 12.02, 11, or 10. Or rebuild what we need from source.

>Are there any people who are testing newer browsers on 9X?

Yes. Iirc QtWeb works. Also GreenBrowser 6.4. I just tested Qupzilla 1.66 last week and found that it suffers from the same (probably fixable) stack-leak crash at startup as 1.44.

I've also tested Opera 12.10 and 12.16, FirefoxPortable_24, Palemoon-Portable-8.0, Seamonkey 2.9 and 2.14, X-Chromium_16, Midori-0.4.6, K-meleon 1.6b2, Safari 6.0.5, IceDragon, Flock, Arora, Aviator, and others (like FastestWebBrowser).

The IE7 dll's partially work--I'm hoping to get them working with a light-weight frontend such as GreenBrowser.

>Live with the occasional failure -or- upgrade the OS that will allow for a Browser that supports it.

Or help develop a solution. :whistle:

>It may be to vc++ not working on Win 98.

With Kexstubs, the MSVC 9, 10, and 11 runtimes all load on Win9x. I have seen no reports of them loading and then not working correctly.

That's easy! :yes:  loblo is on the list and his latest configuration should be II, so:

loblo (II)

======

Memory: 4 GiB RAM (4x 1GiB OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum; 3456 MiB available to Windows)

Motherboard: ASUS A8V Deluxe (BIOS 1018 Beta 2)*

CPU: AMD Opteron 154 (2.8Ghz)

Video card: XFX GeForce 7950 GT 512 MiB AGP (Aperture=64 MiB; with unofficial 82.69 drivers)**

Audio Card: ESI Juli@ ***

config.sys and autoexec.bat: no relevant entries

system.ini:

MinFileCache=512

MinPagingFileSize=102400

MaxPagingFileSize=102400

vmm32.vxd (real mode), vcache.vxd: 4.90.0.3000, vmm.vxd: 4.90.0.3000 with RAM Limitation Patch 7.1 (with /A Option)

---------

* Hardware Memory Hole must be enabled in BIOS otherwise system won't boot.

** With 32 MiB AGP Aperture only 3328 MiB are (strangely) available to Windows and with 128 or 256mMiB system won't boot.

*** Previously, a Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS was installed but refused to work unless the RAM was limited to 2054 MiB (i.e.: MaxPhysPage=80700).

>Latest flash (v14) runs fine in Opera 12.02 with KernelEx and KxStub. And it runs better and smoother than previous versions which were quite buggy IMO.

A 720p YouTube video consumes about 200MB of RAM and uses 80-95% of my Opteron 154 CPU (2.8Ghz).

About half the RAM and CPU for a 480p one. 

I couldn't play a 720p one smootlly with Flash 13 so decoding performance of Flash has obviously improved a bit with v14 but Flash is still an unoptimized CPU hog as playing the same 720p video downloaded on the desktop with PotPlayer uses only about 45% of my CPU and streaming it in QMPlay2 uses only a bit more than that.

That's easy! :yes:  loblo is on the list and his latest configuration should be II, so:

Well not quite anymore as I've fried my 7950GT due to power supply problems and use a 5200 since then. I also only use 2GB of RAM at the moment.