PC connections lifecycle

Dogway

YOWCH! Nonetheless, phase matters, no? That was the point...

So... what IS the "socket" there, Dogway? (see jaclaz' link or whatever...)

The thecnician checked voltage with a tester. He told me that it should be 12V if grounded, and it was.

My socket looks like the German.

Well, there is no way, with a tester/multimeter to say if a circuit is grounded properly :w00t: (and certainly reading *wherever* 12V has nothing to do with grounding a 200-250V AC circuit).

The phase/live is not (please read should not) be a problem, however, if there is a leak or bridge deliveriing some voltage to the chassis, it is easy enough to invert (re-insert, rotated by 180 degrees) the plug.

jaclaz

:crazy:

In the US (see Wiki link) - a non-gounded wall socket CANNOT be gounded with JUST the TWO connections (old style). This is the "you can plug into it either way" type. BUT it's not gounded. To Grounf, a THORD wire (usually copper/aluminum) is run LITERALLY to the Earth Ground (read that as the dirt outside). At that time, you SHOULD (as in the sound tech example given) ensure that the 2-prong plug is inserted the correct direction (HUMMMMMM!!!!!!! or not...). NEWISH wall sockets (and corresponding plugs) allow a single directin and one "flat prong" is larger than the other (old style) width for morons in the US. There are adapters that we use (we call "ground lift") we plug into the NEW style and do NOT connect the "ground" part. That appears to be your "missing component". Be aware I had a Tangent Mixer that was apparently purchased in GB and had 240V set in the PSU and it "blew" half of the supply. Moron tech at the sound shop "replaced" the wole thing with a "box" and yanked the REAL stuff from the mixer. When I got the schematics from him I looked them over and discovered his error (or intentiona to get MY parts). Parts were gone (he said). :realmad:

Two wires do not a grounded plug make (AFAIK). I see two prongs. Where's the ground (3d leg)? Polarization (in above Wiki)? You're power suplly - how does it connect to the wall socket - an adapter or direct ("special" German-style)? Sorry, it makes no sense to me (U.S.A. 120v/240v typer person). My "understanding" is than only in USA is 120v used (hence the GB mixer example above).

Sure :), an AC outlet (grounded) has three contacts (everywhere) live/neutral/ground.

Since the 70's (at least in Italy) grounding is compulsory on ALL sockets.

The plugs may have two (ungrounded) or three (grounded) pins, and the plug is compatible to both.

Of course only Class 2 (double insulation) devices can have a two pin plug, as well as lighting appliances.

But often an issue may be not the grounding (in the sense of a third cable, yellow/green along the standard, connected to the plug and the use of a three contact plug) but the grounding :w00t: in the sense of how well the grounding wires are connected to actual ground, it's not rare the case of a bad ground or of oxidized contacts/loose bolts/etc. making the ground partially or totally ineffective.

About AC, not only there is the 120 vs 240 V difference, but in the US electricity is @60 Hz while in EU it is @50Hz, which is a further issue for anything containing an electric motor, i.e. even if you use a transformer to make the voltage correct, an EU motor will run roughly 20%  faster in the US and viceversa a US motor will ruin roughly 20% slower in EU.

jaclaz

touching the cable gives me shocks.

Can you elaborate on this ? Touching an insulated (I guess it is) cable gives you shocks ?

Do you mean "holding the metal case of my PC while pushing the plug gives me shocks"?

touching the cable gives me shocks.

Can you elaborate on this ? Touching an insulated (I guess it is) cable gives you shocks ?

Do you mean "holding the metal case of my PC while pushing the plug gives me shocks"?

No, touching only the black rubber part  of the cable gives me shocks, maybe the plastic of the head too to make pressure.

I sometimes also hold the case handles (it's a bitfenix prodigy), which are also rubber so I can keep the case in place.

I can test later if you want to assure this, but I'm afraid of another shock.