Trying to decide on Operating System and Office Package?

dominover

Hello everyone.

I currently have Windows XP and Microsoft office 2002.  I am thinking of upgrading to something more recent.  

As I write a lot of macros in my work and try to use a lot of the Microsoft products, I now need to think about upgrading to a more modern system on my home PC, both operating system and Office package.  

I'm wondering what the best option for me will be as there has been a lot of versions come out since XP.  

I don't want Vista because it's too heavy.  I want to avoid Windows 8 because of it's connection to the cloud.. I've heard that this is a real pain in the neck.  I'm thinking of Windows 7.  Should I be looking at later.  

I also want to upgrade Microsoft office.  Should I use Office 7 or 8 ?   Not sure which one to get there.. I just don't want to get trapped into having to buy a whole bunch of extra products to get full use out of them.  I will be working in the Financial services so I will want something compatible. They tend to all use the same operating systems.  

Any advice would be great..

Thanks

There is no "Office 7" or "Office 8". :no:

Versions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office#Versions_available

If you want to lose between 10 and 20 % productivity (thanks to the new ribbon interface) but *need*/*want* the new .xlsx, .xlsb, .docx formats "full" compatibility (and provided that you can find one copy of it on sale) you should be fine with Office 2007.

If you want the same (actually a few less) functionalities of it but want to fill up a bit more your hard disk, go for Office 2010.

If you want to further lower your productivity and occupy some more disk space, then, by all means, get Office 2013.

In any case, expect some frustrating times when "upgrading" (please notice the double quotes) to any of these from Office XP or Office 2003 :ph34r:.

jaclaz

Office 7.0 is Office 95 and 8.0 is 97.  ;)

Sure :), and there is no "Office 7", nor "Office 8", and "Office 95 (internal file version 7.0)" or "Office 97 (internal file version 8.0)" can hardly be considered "newer than" or "an upgrade path from" Office XP (internal version 10.x)

You can run this batch:

@ECHO OFFSETLOCALIF 7==7.0 (ECHO Interesting fact that really added useful insights to the thread) ELSE (ECHO Nitpicking?)IF 8==8.0 (ECHO Interesting fact that really added useful insights to the thread) ELSE (ECHO You failed at it!)PAUSE

harhar.gif

and now, for no apparent reason:

h2C8EBA53.jpg

jaclazDUCKEMOTICON_04.gif

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

As I write a lot of macros in my work

Everything after Office 2003 (vba6) is significantly slower for computational tasks. But you have "security" [insert both real and air quotes here]. :angry:  :crazy:   :puke:

Not sure how new you're considering going...

I can tell you from personal experience that Office 365 (which is what, Office 2013 under the covers?) is an eye-searing experience.  Microsoft has turned the UI into a non-standard arctic desert.  The only good part is that when I upgraded from Office 2003 the upgrade process preserved pretty much everything from the old version.  I was pleasantly surprised at how little configuration I had to do.  That also says it's not functionally that much different under the covers.  Oh, and it comes with a 64 bit version, though Microsoft discourages its use for some reason.

A lot of folks claim dropping back to Office 2010 gets them a better user experience and not much difference in functionality.  I don't know whether the upgrade process will preserve your old data.

Regarding OS, I run Win 8.1 as a desktop-only setup, and while it's livable with hundreds of tweaks/3rd party add-ons, in the end it's really not any better than Win 7.

Therefore based on my experience and knowledge I suggest considering Win 7 and Office 2010.

-Noel

• 2 weeks later...

Microsoft Office 2003 can still run on 98???? IDK but honestly if it messes with your workflow, I wouldn't honestly care at all.

Do not switch and do not upgrade, that is all I can tell you for XP. In Japan, the Wii uses an XP/NT4.0 for it's devkits.

If you had to update get Vista. It is basically XP with many problems adjusted, but it is also have it's own problems. All OSes have their problems, and I would just stick with the XP 2002 you have right now.

Again Vista seems like the best choice, but it needs tweaking. Nobody needs anything past Vista right now. I see Vista all over the place in hospitals and colleges. But that is my opinion.

Down with Microsoft

Edited by ROTS

Don't get me wrong, I liked Vista and had it configured up to be a VERY nice system, but...

A well-tweaked Windows 7 can actually be better than a well-tweaked Vista or XP.

Windows 8 does not seem to be a better Windows 7, however - it's quite a bit worse out of the box, though a lot of tweaking and addition of 3rd party tools can bring it in line.  Well-tweaked, it can be just about as good as Windows 7, but not really better in any way I can discern.

Unless you're doing cutting edge research (or just love tinkering), Windows 8.anything doesn't bring any new substance to the party (this, coming from a person who's done all the work to tweak and augment it to be as useful as Win 7 and is running it as my main business system).

-Noel

Ummm... guys...

The OP has no other posts. You're beating this topic with "opinions".

ROTS, the OP -specifically- stated

I don't want Vista

So... STOP it!

The -other- part was an Office Product that works.

And here's this "which OS is better" -opinionating- (again). :crazy:

Finally

I currently have Windows XP and Microsoft office 2002.  I am thinking of upgrading to something more recent.  

As I write a lot of macros in my work and try to use a lot of the Microsoft products, I now need to think about upgrading to a more modern system on my home PC, both operating system and Office package.

So, my -own- question is...

What part of the first post was misundestood? :unsure:

Oh, and ROTS, if you actually read anything here other than finding topics to opine on, you could read this about Office 2003 and Windoes 98 -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/130936-kernelex-452/

HTH (Hit The Head) headbangsoncomputer_t_01.gif

Ummm... guys...

The OP has no other posts. You're beating this topic with "opinions".

ROTS, the OP -specifically- stated

I don't want Vista

So... STOP it!

It's possible you weren't typing to me, specifically, but, respectfully...  No.  It's not really your place to demand that.

With 38 years as a software engineer, a number of pertinent publications on the subject, having run engineering organizations, with hard time spent in front of every major OS release actually doing work with it, it's just barely possible my "opinions" are a bit more than idle whims, and as such they may be useful to others. 

So, sorry - I will not STOP offering my advice where it is pertinent.  Please find a way to live with that.

-Noel

:w00t:

ROTS, the OP -specifically- stated...

Now, please don't start "bragging" as I'm "degree'd" as well, also as a Systems Analyst/Engineer. How old do you think -I- am? Ummm, started in... 1970!

keep-calm-cause-i-m-smarter-than-you.png

Now that the peeing contest / "I can eat more hot dogs than you" is over (the above is a baaad attitude) ...

As for your opinion, I may point out (again) the OP (that asked for an opinion) has automagically disappeared. To argue with ROTS is an exercise in futility (go ahead, search). Personally, I don't disagree with your assessment; I -do-, however, have heartburn with cluttering Topics with an argument. It looks -real- bad for anyone visiting MSFN. :yes:

Do continue and please find a way to live with -that-. ;)

HTH

Side note: The esteemed "Finder" isn't degreed either, AFAIK. :unsure: Would you care to let him know that you're a Black Belt in Engineering? A request: Try -real hard- to stifle your ire based upon a -total- misunderstanding.

wow1.gif

You don't know that he's not reading all the responses to this thread, just not answering.

I hold no ire, and I'm glad to know another experienced person (though I wonder if our combined experiences before 1980 count for much in a Windows discussion).  I can always stand to learn new things. 

But neither you nor I nor anyone else should find it important to play "forum cop", leading to this kind of conversation.  That's just silly.  We can all figure out how to interact with others (and who to argue with) on our own.  :angel  In short, tell me what to do, and I'll tell you where to go.

-Noel

How old do you think -I- am? Ummm, started in... 1970!

Boy, are you old! (right to the border of "ancient") ;)

Side note: The esteemed "Finder" isn't degreed either, AFAIK. :unsure: Would you care to let him know that you're a Black Belt in Engineering?

He knows :yes:, rest assured.

Come on guys, everything is cool and dandy :), the only problems here seem to me being the (missing) functionalities of late Office releases. :whistle:

jaclaz

(Try to) check out this thread on Office 2013 (aka Office 365) on the Microsoft forum.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ed1de1dc-1389-4980-acf2-aefc95947ac1/changing-to-a-theme-with-color-in-office-2013?forum=officeitpro#eda67be0-0f6d-4da4-82f2-6faf05ce2d49

The thread is so long at nearly 400 replies of "OMG, Office 2013 hurts my eyes too" that (if you're logged-in) Internet Explorer can't jump to the bottom post in less than a few hours.

That's just sad on SO many levels.

-Noel