Create Windows 8 installation disk from PC.

Hello,

I have had a PC with Windows 8 for 6 months already, and I cannot stand it. I tried to like Windows 8, but I couldn't. So, I am planning to replace it with another operating system, like Ubuntu Linux or Windows 2000. However, if my replacement OS fails, I would rather use Windows 8 than have no working PC.

Getting to my point, I was wondering if anyone knew 2 things. 1, How do I create an installation disk from a preinstalled Windows 8 system, and 2, where are product keys located in Windows 8.

Thank you.

Firstly try 8.1 with Update 1. It's much better than just 8.

You can't create an entire installation disk from existing installation. What can do you is capture your existing installation into a file called install.wim with DISM. To get the rest of the files you need you will have to download a Windows 8 ISO. Once you have an ISO you can overwrite the existing install.wim your newly captured install.wim.

I wouldn't recommend capturing an image from an online image though. Instead I would recommend starting with a base install.wim and customize it to your liking.

Edited by ptd163

The easy short way is to download the ISO but that requires a retail key, talked about here

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/162319-win-7-iso/

The more complicated way is to download the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 8 and use the dism to make an image from a PE based boot stick. The key which is usually embedded in the hardware for Windows 8 OEM so in theory you shouldn't need a key.

I am downloading windows 8.1 now and will also get Update 1 soon, to try it out for a couple days and see what I think of it. Also, if I get an ISO of Windows 8 from Digital River, I will need a product key, if I understood correctly?

As well, my question was, where do I locate my official product key on a Windows 8 PC? I don't believe this is an OEM license, so it may not be embedded with the hardware.

If it has a sticker that says Windows 8 and no COA it will be in the BIOS which you can extract via many software tools available online, just google it.

Edited by koganstyle

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Windows 8.1 for about a week and I have to say, not bad. Has a nice GUI but I still hope to use another OS as my PC is very low end for windows 8.1.

I found a product key extractor that works, Jellybean Product Key Finder. It shows me 2 keys, 1 for a CD Key and 1 for a product ID. Which one do I need to keep if I decide to reinstall Windows 8?

Also, does anyone know where I can get a LEGAL win 8 ISO (not a key, I have that)? Lastly, do I burn the ISO to CD/DVD and then use it to reinstall windows 8 if I wish, and is there somewhere in the installation where I should enter my key?

I thank you for reading.