Active Directory DNS

I have a rather irritating issue that needs resolving regarding Active Directory and DNS.

You see, I run a File Server and Active Directory at home. Whilst its all setup and working, I find that I have to manually enter the details of the DNS server into the computers that I have, otherwise, they will not use the active directory to get DNS information, and everything falls in a big heap. 

I'm wondering if there is some way to ensure that computers that connect automatically are aware of the DNS servers that they must be running - Is this something that is done via the computer, or via the router and its interface. Any requests un-resolvable by the DNS will be forwarded onto the router, where they are then put over to Google DNS. 

Should I turn of the DNS on the router - or merely direct it to put requests to the local server which will then forward to Google itself. 

OS is Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Clients typically run Windows 7 (Hey - It was cheap, and works well for what it does).

Network lies behind a "typical" router with a hardware Firewall and NAT enabled. 

Cheers for any advice :)

The system doesn't see use on the internet, and doesn't run facing the internet. It runs internally.

However - it seems there are plenty of organisations that aren't concerned about that sort of thing, namely "Australia Post," who still use a Windows NT4 system for their website and online billing system...

Anyway - I was able to more or less solve this problem. Unfortunately, the Thomson ISP supplied router will only set itself as DNS, so I had to use Telnet to configure the AD as the top DNS (which forwards to Google), then the two Google DNS servers in case I have to pull the server for any maintenance purposes.

Thats the best that can be done at the moment, given these circumstances. I am hoping to put that router into bridge once I secure another Asus RT-N16 router, and load in DD-WRT. For the moment, it'll have to do.