Internet Explorer has stopped working...

ppgrainbow

the IE crashes while checking a DiskCache:

14 ntdll!ExecuteHandler15 ntdll!KiUserExceptionDispatcher16 usp10!ScriptCheckCache17 usp10!ScriptShape18 mshtml!CGDISystem::ScriptShape19 mshtml!CDXSystem::ScriptShape1a mshtml!CBaseCcs::ScriptShape1b mshtml!CLineServicesClient::GetGlyphs1c mshtml!HtmlLayout::FlowBoxBuilder::BuildBoxItem

Have you modified the temporary internet file settings?

Yes. After I reset Internet Explorer 9 to its default settings, I have modified the Temporary Internet File settings by raising the limit on the size of the disk cache to 1 GB. There are 2,886 files in 31 folders taking up close to 94 MB.

I'm wondering if reducing the size of the disk cache will do the trick or not.

I'm not sure if I'm correct here, but for some reason, the ScrpitCheckCache dependency in USP10.DLL might have caused IE9 to crash.

Edited by ppgrainbow

With all due respect, it's more than obvious, by now, that you should fully remove IE9, as per post #11. Then check whether your issues remain with IE8, or if they're gone. If they're gone, then you might reinstall IE9 or a later version. Further troubleshooting is futile, already, IMO, except for removal / reinstallation.

With all due respect, it's more than obvious, by now, that you should fully remove IE9, as per post #11. Then check whether your issues remain with IE8, or if they're gone. If they're gone, then you might reinstall IE9 or a later version. Further troubleshooting is futile, already, IMO, except for removal / reinstallation.

I don't know if I can fully remove IE9 as it has all of the updates installed since it may leave my PC with functionality issues. Recently, IE9 crashed again while trying to access certain Livestream functions. :(

Make a full back-up (preferably, at least, a partition image), then try the removal procedure. In case the removal hoses the system, all you have to do is to redeploy the image, and you're back to square one. This way there's nothing to lose. But you may have to acquire an external HDD to hold the image, in case you don't have one at hand already.

Additionally you are aware that

I don't know if I can fully remove IE9 as it has all of the updates installed...

the procedure described in this thread will uninstall all of IE9 including the updates (back to pre-IE9).

Removing the IE9 also removes all IE9 updates.

MS doesn't replied to me, so look like they don't care about Vista issues with IE9 any longer.

Thank you so much for the clarification. :)

I'll do the procedure and remove IE9 now to see if it will get rid of the errors that I have been experiencing. If the problems persist, I'll get back to you.

Update: Internet Explorer 9 has been removed and has been reverted back to Internet Explorer 7, the browser that came with Windows Vista RTM. I will re-install IE9 and re-install the updates to see if the problem persists or not. :)

Edited by ppgrainbow

Anyway thanks for taking the responsibility from my shoulders and letting it rest squarely on MS's much larger shoulders. :)

MS doesn't replied to me, so look like they don't care about Vista issues with IE9 any longer.

Maybe larger but sloping would be more suited ;).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Okie. I did uninstall IE9 and reinstalled IE9 again and it didn't solve things.

When I went to someone's Twitter account, Internet Explorer 9 crashed again:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 9.0.8112.16555, time stamp 0x53860f63, faulting module USP10.dll, version 1.626.6002.19096, time stamp 0x535bd85f, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00009ff8,
process id 0xafc, application start time 0x01cf9238aff9f421.

When I went to Livestream to try to access the chat features, Internet Explorer 9 crashed too:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 9.0.8112.16555, time stamp 0x53860f63, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0x80000003, fault offset 0x771c61f0,
process id 0x1394, application start time 0x01cf92385e3c5b01.

It appears that there maybe some HTML coding inside webpages that causes Internet Explorer 9 to crash, but works on other browsers. I have yet to test this issue on other computers to see if the problem occurs on other computers or not.

Can we assume IE8 works OK? Googling

"internet explorer 9" "usp10.dll"

yields some inteesting notations on AntiVirus and even Spybot. However, they refer to Win7. :unsure:

Assuming you have SP2 installed?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/system-requirements

I don't currently have my Win7 box hooked up to check anything, but -assume- that it's the same IE9 that would be installed?

Edited by submix8c

OK.

Now we know:

1. uninstallation of IE9 completes uneventfully and reverts the system to IE7.

2. reinstallation of IE9 brings back the problems.

So it can be asked:

Were there any issues when the system was back to IE7?

And what about after updating IE7 to the brim, via MS Update?

And, what about IE8?

And what about after updating IE8 to the brim, via MS Update?

So here's my take (and, I take it, more or less submix8c's one, too): IE8 is the last one to work with XP (that's almost irrelevant), therefore it's the last one to work with POSReady 2009 (and this is relevant), hence MS has much more incentive (read circa 97% of the world market of POS machines) to keep it working all right... so that, if IE8 works, why not stick with it and call it a day?

Can we assume IE8 works OK? Googling

"internet explorer 9" "usp10.dll"

yields some inteesting notations on AntiVirus and even Spybot. However, they refer to Win7. :unsure:

Assuming you have SP2 installed?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie-9/system-requirements

I don't currently have my Win7 box hooked up to check anything, but -assume- that it's the same IE9 that would be installed?

I have MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) installed. I don't know if Windows Defender is the issue here or not...so, I turned off all of the features in Windows Defender.

And yes, I already have Windows Vista SP2 installed.

OK.

Now we know:

1. uninstallation of IE9 completes uneventfully and reverts the system to IE7.

2. reinstallation of IE9 brings back the problems.

So it can be asked:

Were there any issues when the system was back to IE7?

And what about after updating IE7 to the brim, via MS Update?

And, what about IE8?

And what about after updating IE8 to the brim, via MS Update?

So here's my take (and, I take it, more or less submix8c's one, too): IE8 is the last one to work with XP (that's almost irrelevant), therefore it's the last one to work with POSReady 2009 (and this is relevant), hence MS has much more incentive (read circa 97% of the world market of POS machines) to keep it working all right... so that, if IE8 works, why not stick with it and call it a day?

When I reverted back to Internet Explorer 7, I was re-directed to the mobile version of the Twitter website, instead of the regular version. If I were to access Livestream via IE7, I'd received a notice that the browser is no longer supported.

As for Internet Explorer 8 (which is the last to support Windows XP/Server 2003), I'm unable to test it. If I have time, I'm gonna at least test websites on other computers with Internet Explorer 9 to see if the same issue comes up or not.

Have you heard about IETester? If I get a chance, I'll be able to test Livestream and Twitter webpages to see if it works with Internet Explorer 8.