Internet Explorer has stopped working...

ppgrainbow

I'm cross-posting this from the deviantART forums and I've decided to post this here to see if you can help solve the Internet Explorer issue involving the USP10.DLL file.

I have a problem with running Internet Explorer 9 under Windows Vista x64 and it has to do with the USP10.DLL (Uniscribe) file. Every time I try to view someone's Twitter's account using Internet Explorer 9, the browser crashes!

Here's the error from the Event Viewer that I received:

Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 9.0.8112.16555, time stamp 0x53860f63, faulting module USP10.dll, version 1.626.6002.19096, time stamp 0x535bd85f, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00009ff8, process id 0x169c, application start time 0x01cf8cc082144650.

The Event ID is 1000. I'm wondering if this error is reproduced with Internet Explorer 9 under Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008. Could this issue also have to do with a defective security update KB2957509 that was released earlier this month?

I should scan this computer for malware to see if this might be the cause or not? Just curious.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Scan for malware. If you don't find any, remove the security update and see whether it fixes the issue. In any case post the result and we can go on from there, OK?

Thanks for the help. It seems that Microsoft might have released a bad security update that affected Windows Vista users. :(

Edit: I had to back out of the KB2957509 update and hide the update. I'm gonna be contacting Twitter via e-mail to see what was up with it right now.

Edited by ppgrainbow

Hi, I just want to let you know I am experiencing the exact same problem.

I'm afraid I'm not technical at all (this is the first forum i've ever joined!) so I will follow what you do with interest in the hope this issue can be resolved.

I have already tried reinstalling Internet Explorer (reset it back to original settings) but this did not resolve things.

I have also done a full system scan using Norton security but no malware was found.

I have checked by windows updates and as well as the update you mention KB2957509 on 11 June 2014, there was an 'update for windows' KB928439 made on 18 june 2014.  I don't know if either or both of these could be responsible.

I hope you will continue to post updates do I can copy what you do.  

thanks

Please download this reg file from my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7mdlqsvh7r4wrk/WER_iexplore.exe_full.reg.txt

(remove the .txt extension after you downloaded the file) and make a double click on the .reg file to import it.

When the Internet Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx) creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the file to a cloud service with fast speed for free users (Dropbox, OneDrive) and send me the link via PM.

After you generated the dump, run this reg file to stop dump creation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/emcfbxxbo1pg7p0/WER_iexplore_full_uninstall.reg.txt

Please download this reg file from my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7mdlqsvh7r4wrk/WER_iexplore.exe_full.reg.txt

(remove the .txt extension after you downloaded the file) and make a double click on the .reg file to import it.

When the Internet Explorer crashes, Windows Error Reporting Service (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb787181%28VS.85%29.aspx) creates a dmp file under C:\Localdumps. Please upload the file to a cloud service with fast speed for free users (Dropbox, OneDrive) and send me the link via PM.

After you generated the dump, run this reg file to stop dump creation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/emcfbxxbo1pg7p0/WER_iexplore_full_uninstall.reg.txt

As the browser keeps crashing over and over and it finally generated a 293 MB dump iexplore.exe.dmp found in the C:\LocalDumps directory. I managed to upload it to my 4Shared account and I will send you a link in a private message when it's all finished. :)

I would start by reinstalling Internet Explorer.

I actually reset the Internet Explorer 9 to the default settings and it didn't help. Attempting to reinstall IE9 gives the error message:

Setup can't continue because a more recent version of Internet Explorer is installed on your computer.

Plus, I have all of the updates applied to IE9.

I'm currently uploading the iexplore.exe.5872.dmp right now on my 4shared account and privately note when it's all done.

If MagicAndre1981 solves it, great! If not, then, after you both agree there's nothing more to be tried with your current IE9 installation, do the following, from an elevated command prompt (cmd.exe). Make sure you have admin rights.

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

This should force uninstall IE 9 and roll back to IE 8. It's my adaptation of what's done in this post. Bear in mind I've never tried it, so I cannot assert whether it actually does really work. If it works, thank jaclaz, for it was him who found that method. If it does not, you can blame me, because it was I who adapted it to IE9, and thought it might be worth a shot. As always, obviously caveat emptor (= here to backup 1st).

This should force uninstall IE 9 and roll back to IE 8. It's my adaptation of what's done in this post. Bear in mind I've never tried it, so I cannot assert whether it actually does really work. If it works, thank jaclaz, for it was him who found that method. If it does not, you can blame me, because it was I who adapted it to IE9, and thought it might be worth a shot. As always, obviously caveat emptor (= here to backup 1st).

There is actually NOTHING to "adapt".

Just READ "Solution 2" on the given link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2579295/en-us

Solution 2: Run a command-line command

1.Log on to the computer by using an administrator account or an account that has administrative rights.

2.Close all Internet Explorer browser windows.

3.Click Start, type cmd in the Search box, and then click cmd under Programs.

4.Copy the following command:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

5.Paste the command into the Command Prompt window, and then press Enter.

6.Restart the computer.

At the most the good MS guys should be blamed for providing it. ;)

jaclaz

please don't use 4shared. I can't download from there.

Thanks for telling me. I don't think that you use 4shared at all. I guess that I'll need ti use OneDrive then. When I'm done, I'll PM you.

Sorry for the trouble, but I was tired.

Edit: Private message has been sent. I sure hope that you look over the dump file and investigate what has been causing IE9 to crash.

Edited by ppgrainbow

the IE crashes while checking a DiskCache:

14 ntdll!ExecuteHandler15 ntdll!KiUserExceptionDispatcher16 usp10!ScriptCheckCache17 usp10!ScriptShape18 mshtml!CGDISystem::ScriptShape19 mshtml!CDXSystem::ScriptShape1a mshtml!CBaseCcs::ScriptShape1b mshtml!CLineServicesClient::GetGlyphs1c mshtml!HtmlLayout::FlowBoxBuilder::BuildBoxItem

Have you modified the temporary internet file settings?