Slow Application Performance with Windows 8.1

Bakuchris

Hello,Been noticing some performance issues with Microsoft Windows 8.1 when using Adobe Premiere CC, the clips I put on the timeline seems slow, they are .MP4 files, I also tried Windows 7 and the performance seemed a bit better compared to Windows 8.1. I heard from other posts here that 8.1 is acutally slow, and it seems to be true when I use it,even when I re-install it's fast at first, but then it seems to be slow sometimes, which I can never pin point why it's going slow.

What I've found is that certain file system I/O activities are a lot slower than with earlier operating systems, such as Windows 7.  And some are actually faster, but overall Win 8.1 works out to be a bit slower - maybe a bit less interactive and responsive is a better way to say it - than its predecessors.  I can't shake the gut feeling that Microsoft has hobbled the Windows 8 file system implementation in version 8.1 on purpose so that they can claim Windows 9 will be faster, but it's impossible to prove.

Premiere is quite I/O intensive, from my understanding, though I've only run it once as a test.

How have you set up your I/O subsystem (i.e., disks)?  What hardware do you have, and how have you set up the caching?  Do you have a lot of RAM?

Also, what's your situation with regard to GPU operations (i.e., video card)?  I believe Adobe has more/better/faster integration with nVidia GPUs than with ATI or Intel.

Take heart, with a well-tuned setup there are some things Win 8.1 does better than Win 7 at a subtle level.  Multithreading performance on a system with a lot of cores can actually be better.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Well I only have a intergrated video card on my motherboard, it's a ATI Radeon HD 4200. I have 3 Hard Disks though two are used for backups and things I download (both 1TB disks), I use a SSD 60GB Hard Disk for my main operating system, I have a triple core processor though most of my components have not been upgraded in many years now., oh and also I have over 11GB of RAM, Adobe Premiere works ok in Windows 8.1 with my specs, it's just slow with certain videos I use and theres alot I have that I use in mixed quality not 720p though. the copy I'm using of Windows 7 Professional seems to work even faster with those clips but thats it.

Edited by Bakuchris

What level of the SSE instruction set does your CPU support?

Perhaps you might be able to kick your system performance overall up with an SSD upgrade.  In another thread we've been discussing the Crucial (Micron) MX100 SSD - you can actually get 512GB of SSD for about US $200 now.  Not bad.

Beyond that, one need only glance at the Adobe Premiere forums.  People doing heavy duty video processing are now using multi-CPU systems with lots of cores, as much RAM as they can pack in, arrays upon arrays of disks, and especially high-end nVidia video cards.  I happen to be more fond of ATI myself, but I don't personally do video processing.  The next thing I'd consider doing if I were in your shoes is getting a relatively high end nVidia card.  Then more RAM.

Regarding Windows 8.1 being slower...  It's true.  I have personally measured the performance degradations myself, across multiple systems. 

Unfortunately, with greater and greater hardware capabilities coming down the pike, I don't think software systems are going to be getting smaller or more efficient in the near future.  Basically, new features, extra robustness, and quite possibly just plain inefficiency because of lack of necessity to optimize, are going to remain the norm - no matter WHAT Microsoft marketing says.

-Noel

I don't know what my SSE Instruction set is on my CPU, all I know is that it's a AMD Athlon II X3 435 Processor, 2900 Mhz and 3 cores. also I once had a Nvidia Graphics Card but it's broke a coupleof years ago.

My mistake, I'm not really noticing any speed related problems now with Windows 8.1, does not seem that bad as before, no idea what I did. (just re-installed and installed some updates)