Delete MSFN account

Ben.Hahlen

I don't understand this. I also use IPB as software and when I delete accounts on users requests, the post are still there but you see as username guest_username*

Yes this is how it functions, however almost every time a user requests an account deletion they mean for the posts to be removed too. This is what Xper refers to.

It is a curious topic only because deleting an account is like a menial task for the administrator. The logical response would be to just not log into the site anymore and delete your cookies. So the user request is "please change all my posts to say guest_username instead of username." The user still would not come to the site and login anyways, isn't it the same thing except the admin has to press a couple of buttons?

Anyways, I think that some people think that deleting an account will delete the posts. It has certainly come up before!

I never asked for my posts to be deleted, only my account.

Not logging into a site and deleting the cookies is definitely not the same as deleting an account.

Having an account somewhere means you also have a password somewhere. If, for instance, MSFN got hacked, and for some reason they were able to recover passwords, that would mean that potentially my password would be retrieved as well, if my account were still here. If my account got deleted, no such chance.

This is of course going past the fact that you should have different passwords for different sites, but I hope you get what I mean.

Having an account somewhere means you also have a password somewhere. If, for instance, MSFN got hacked, and for some reason they were able to recover passwords, that would mean that potentially my password would be retrieved as well, if my account were still here. If my account got deleted, no such chance.

This is of course going past the fact that you should have different passwords for different sites, but I hope you get what I mean.

Yep, but you are (or should be) allowed to change the password on your account.

Just login, change your password (that, even if different from the ones you use on all other site, might have a "pattern" in common with them, and as such help the malicious intruder in guessing some of them) and replace it with a completely random and very strong/long one.

You write it on a piece of paper, change it on the site, and then destroy the piece of paper. (if you have a particularly good memory you could go for a lobotomy :w00t::ph34r:, but usually it is not necessary ;)). <- NO WAY BACK

A bigger risk of having an account left open on a forum, just for the record, could be that someone "on your side" of the equation (and that has a reason for doing this, hate, envy, whatever) gets hold of the password and then impersonates you, posting false or incorrect statements, in such a way to discredit you.

jaclaz