Windows Embedded Standard 2009 General Question

koganstyle

I have a gang of stubborn applications that need a Windows XP environment and I thought this would be the best way to continue having them patched.

What is the best way to run a gang of stubborn applications that need a Windows XP environment, while having them patched?

The OP's transverse question seems to me to be equivalent to your unasked question #3, and both seem to me to be improperly phrased, because both the adoption of WES 2009, or the spoofing of it, will, at most, accomplish the OS continuing to be patched... but neither can possibly keep  *"them"*  getting patched!!! However, everybody here (me included) seems to have concluded that the OP really-really meant "the best way to having the OS continue to be patched", so that, if so, question #3 has actually been asked.

roll1.gif

Holy Crap!  Just answer the poor guy's question.  Talk about semantics.  I cannot believe the flaming BS I took from you idiots, for stuff just like this, but it's OK if you guys do the same crap.  Man, talk about club mentality.

I think maybe you are overreacting, you have to keep in mind that "IT" people are not the most sensitive types out there and English is the second if not 3rd language of many people on this board....not that I would presume to speak for anyone else. I asked a question and they are used to reading between the lines for the less IT literate...when you analyse a problem and feel like you don't have all the information then that can become frustrating...I am HAL I ask a simple question and want a simple answer...input and output...but most people will ask a question and expect you to know what they know about the problem and to extrapolate something from there....

I think maybe you are overreacting, you have to keep in mind that "IT" people are not the most sensitive types out there and English is the second if not 3rd language of many people on this board....not that I would presume to speak for anyone else. I asked a question and they are used to reading between the lines for the less IT literate...when you analyse a problem and feel like you don't have all the information then that can become frustrating...I am HAL I ask a simple question and want a simple answer...input and output...but most people will ask a question and expect you to know what they know about the problem and to extrapolate something from there....

So was the original question actually :w00t::

Has anyone got experience with the OS,

?

Then the answer would have been simpler:

YES. :yes:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com./jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

but would not have been - I believe - of much use. :unsure: :ph34r:

jaclaz

LOL I just wanted to know if anyone had used it....it looks like no ones has so I thought case closed...I wasn't looking for anyone to read between the lines, just a simple question.....but I appreciate suggestions and idea's.

I use it. There are some functional differences between an Embedded OS and a desktop one, but your question of "will it work with my programs" cannot be answered by us. That is why I said for you to try it out yourself to see if it suits your needs. We can't guess what your programs are and how they operate. I do know that some programs do not operate as expected based on feedback received from ISVs.

I use it. There are some functional differences between an Embedded OS and a desktop one, but your question of "will it work with my programs" cannot be answered by us. That is why I said for you to try it out yourself to see if it suits your needs. We can't guess what your programs are and how they operate. I do know that some programs do not operate as expected based on feedback received from ISVs.

And  - additionally - there is the slight difference between:

"Will it work with my programs?" 

and:

"Are my programs allowed to run on it?"

Like:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee406170(v=winembedded.0).aspx#Q4

And:

http://msembedded.biz/en/windows-embedded-posready-2009/posready-2009-license-terms-eula.html

Particularly, these parts of the EULA:

1.   Use Rights.

You may use the software on the device with which you acquired the software.

2.   Additional Licensing Requirements and/or Use Rights.

a.   Specific Use.  [OEM] designed this device for a Retail Point Of Sale Application.  You may only use the software for that use. “RPOS Application” means a software application, the sole functionality of which may be any of the following: (i) to process retail sales transactions, scan and track inventory, record and/or transmit customer information, and/or perform related retail store management functions; (ii) provide information about products available from the retailer directly to customers; (iii) provide gift registry information to customers; and/or (iv) process banking transactions.

b.   Other Software. You may use other programs with the software as long as the other programs

• Directly support the manufacturer’s specific use for the device, or
  • Provide system utilities, resource management, or anti-virus or similar protection.
Software that provides consumer or business tasks or processes may not be run on the device.  This includes email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, networking/internet browsing, scheduling and personal finance software.  The device may use terminal services protocols to access such software running on a server.

Do pose a few limits....

jaclaz

Edited by dencorso

That EULA is for POSReady 2009, however WES 2009 has the same limitations in its EULA.

Yep, my bad :blushing: , actually it's bphlpt's fault :realmad:  he tricked me :ph34r: into POSReady talk, however things don't change much, the corresponding FAQ is just after the one in the given link, and the EULA is here:

http://msembedded.biz/en/windows-embedded-standard-2009/standard-2009-license-terms-eula.html

but the quoted parts are very similar:

1.   Use Rights.

You may use the software on the device with which you acquired the software.

2.   Additional Licensing Requirements and/or Use Rights.

a.   Specific Use.  [OEM] designed this device for a specific use.  You may only use the software for that use.

b.   Other Software.  You may use other programs with the software as long as the other programs

•   Directly support the manufacturer’s specific use for the device, or

•   Provide system utilities, resource management, or anti-virus or similar protection.

Software that provides consumer or business tasks or processes may not be run on the device.  This includes email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, scheduling and personal finance software.  The device may use terminal services protocols to access such software running on a server.  

So, the good news are that you can use with Embedded  networking/internet browsing which is not allowed on POSReady.

Forget anyway to run:

• Outlook
  • Word
  • Excel
  • Access
  • Microsoft Money :w00t:

or any corresponding alternative third party tools :whistle:

jaclaz

Cool well ill give it a try and see if it fits my technical needs then run it by the software assurance people and see what they say. As we have licences to run embedded.....Also for some strange reason we have Windows K licences LOL.

Edited by koganstyle