I can't install windows 2000 on em350

t11

hello I have a problem, I can not install windows 2000 (professional and advanced server) on my emachines EM350. (i have a samsung 500gb sata 2.5 drive)

because the setup hangs on "windows 2000 is starting"

and if I press f5 and I choose standard PC, I get the blue screen "0x00007b inaccesible boot device".

so I thought it was a driver problem, 
and then I downloaded the drivers for my SATA controller "intel ich7r/dh sata achi controller"
I downloaded "intel matrix storage" 8.0 "iata70" ,and I integrated the drivers using nlite.
but the pc still give me the same error.

What can I do to fix this problem?

sorry for my bad english!!

1 - Service Pack 4

2 - EnableBigLBA

Win2000 does not directly support Large HDD. Google this

"windows 2000" "enablebiglba" site:msfn.org
Peruse the links that pop up. There's a way to insert that REG key in SETUPREG.HIV (for install-time).

HTH

AHCI vs PATA is what you're talking about.

hello I have a problem, I can not install windows 2000 (professional and advanced server) on my emachines EM350. (i have a samsung 500gb sata 2.5 drive)

because the setup hangs on "windows 2000 is starting"

and if I press f5 and I choose standard PC, I get the blue screen "0x00007b inaccesible boot device".

so I thought it was a driver problem, 
and then I downloaded the drivers for my SATA controller "intel ich7r/dh sata achi controller"
I downloaded "intel matrix storage" 8.0 "iata70" ,and I integrated the drivers using nlite.
but the pc still give me the same error.

What can I do to fix this problem?

sorry for my bad english!!

Integrating via nLite means -YES- get the correct drivers -AND- use TextMode Drivers. As you can see, it got past TextMode, so it can't be that.

To continue,

http://serverfault.com/questions/41281/moved-windows-server-2000-from-ide-drive-to-sata-drive-now-get-inaccessible-boot

Here's the longer explanation if you're interested:

Windows 2000 Server was made before drives got bigger than 128 GB. Therefore, it can, by default, only use 128 GB of the drive. If the drive is bigger than that, even if the boot partition is smaller it appears that it can't read the partition table correctly. The solution is to add that registry key before putting it on the new drive. There's an MSKB article about it here.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098

I found this by restoring the image of my boot drive on an old 40 GB PATA drive I had laying around. I booted it up on the new hardware and installed all the drivers for that mainboard. Then I shut it down and connected up the SATA drive. When I rebooted the 750 GB SATA drive with multiple partitions appeared as though it had a single unformatted 128 GB partition. With some research I found out about the EnableBigLba registry key. I set up that key and rebooted and the SATA drive showed up with all it's partitions.

In addition, one may wonder if the large drive is recognized properly in the BIOS.

HTH

I could install W2k prior to EnableBigLba by creating a volume for Win in the disk's first 128GiB. That would be a test.

Are the Ahci or Raid drivers for W2k? Intel tells it in the introduction text and in the inf file.

*cough*

t11 never came back

*cough*...

All of the above are true.

1a - Text-Mode drivers for SATA/RAID

1b - Turn off AHCI otherwise

2a - Pre-EnableBigLBA if using big partitions

2b - Pre-define and set active a partition within the first 128gb - stipulation is that you better not have any partitions beyond that until 2a is performed.

Safe bet = 1a -or- 1b -and- 2a -before- install.

Hi.

There are two version AHCI driver which I migrated for Windows 2000.

Normal version AHCI driver 7.6 or Extended Core version 8.9.

I have not released 7.0 and 8.0, till 5.6 driver which Intel released can work on Windows 2000.

Hi.

There are two version AHCI driver which I migrated for Windows 2000.

Normal version AHCI driver 7.6 or Extended Core version 8.9.

I have not released 7.0 and 8.0, till 5.6 driver which Intel released can work on Windows 2000.

hi and sorry for the delay

then

unfortunately this pc have the insideh20 bios

but I have not yet tried to create a 128 gb first partition (the hd have 4 partition )

I'll try in the evening

where are the 5.6 drivers?

So... I'm confused. AnX suggests that InsydeH20 is the problem. I've found that XP has been PreInstalled.

http://www.engadget.com/products/emachines/em350/specs/

Please tell me exactly HOW XP can be installed but 2K can't? Is there a particular reason, AnX?

I have found the Service Manual for the (made by Acer) E350. It indicates a D2D Recovery setting in the BIOS - TURN IT OFF and LEAVE IT OFF! It gives no indication of the settings for IDE Configuration, BUT I'm willing to bet that you can TURN OFF Sata-Mode.

Start from this post and read down a couple of posts. It appears that there IS a setting for turning AHCI off.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/107504-integration-of-intels-sata-ahci-and-raid-drivers/#entry1028295

I'm not sure where, but it MUST exist! BTW, you WILL have to "wipe the disk" (not really wiped, but...) using "diskpart clean" on it to re-initiate the HDD. NOTICE! You have inducated FOUR PARTISIONS! I'm willing to bet that you DO HAVE THE STOCK OEM INSTALL ON IT!!! That, in and of itself, will cause you some headaches (ref. D2D notation above).

HERE is a notation about IDE-Mode by a guy that had Win7 Pr-Installed and "downgraded" to XP.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/emachines-3502303-windows-7-to-windows-xp/191142.html

So... I don't get it? :unsure:

edit - Here's the Support page -

http://www.emachines.com/ec/en/US/content/drivers

Select "Netbook->Netbook->350"

It clearly indicates both (32-bit) Win7 and XP.

Both D2D and SATA Mode options should be right there on the MAIN screen.

Motherboard is "Acer LA-6311P NAV51"

Edited by submix8c

@jaclaz - I was still getting info so the previous post was edited.

BE AWARE that that silly D2D will HORK YOU! That particular "function" is an OEM-specific BIOS alteration. Stupid Dell (that E521 dorrstop) has it too.

Bottom line is that the OP doesn't understand what they have. D2D will SPECIFICALLY enable some silly MBR code for "Press F(whatever) To Restore" which will "point" to the Recover Parition. That's the reason I questioned the "Four Partitions" statement. Indeed, the OP has given VERY little to go on. I have found an EM250 manual that has the same "F2->Main" where the settings are (as well as the additional references given above). InsydeH20 has absolutely (AFAIK) nothing to do with the "problems".

* - BEFORE any of the below, exactly HOW are you trying to install? USB, External DVD, WHAT? (those bad boys do NOT have a DVD drive). Crystal ball non-functional today.

1 - TURN OFF D2D

2 - TURN OFF AHCI

3 - Make a LiveUSB and BACK UP the MBR and FIX IT to be compatible with 2K/XP (you know the drill, jaclaz)

4 - FORMAT the first Partition (NOTE: that partition COULD BE the Original Boot/Recover/UTILITIES Partition!)

5 - INSTALL the Win2K WITH the aforementioned Big HDD "fix" (you have been given what to do).

* - NO CLUE what's pre-existing on the HDD. XP/Win7? WHAT?

HTH (Hit The Head)

then
-i turn off d2d
-i turn off ahci 
I tried with 2 hardisk of samsung one from 320 to 500 gb. 
the 2 hd's are completely empty (formatted hdd low level format tool)
1)I tried to install windows 2000 with both cd/dvd and usb (with usb multiboot 10 program)
I also tried to create the first partition to 100 GB or 127GB hard drive and leave the rest blank
still the same error (0x07 inaccessible boot device)

ah I have a questions for submix8c 
1)how do i fix the mbr for windows 2000?

2)how do you integrate the big hdd fix on windows 2000 sp4 professional or windows 2000 sp4 advanced server?

Do you have available a Windows XP source for doing a test install?

This would rule out the hardware as possible source of the issue and would give us a fair view of which drivers are used in it.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

All of the systems that I've tested with the insydeh20 bios failed to install Win2k. Its most likely the case here.

Whereas with the systems that lacked the insydeh20, WIn2k installed perfectly.

Edited by AnX