Is it possible to modify a .dll in Windows 8.1

Bakuchris

You might want to look into some of the alternate themes available.  They do have to be "hacked in", as Microsoft doesn't want us having customized desktops any longer - but it can be done in a way that does not break system protection on disk.

If it's just the icons on the desktop you want to change, an alternative is to hide the standard Microsoft desktop icons and just put your own shortcuts on the desktop.  You can then set them to display any icon you like.  There's a handy tool called Vista Shortcut Manager that provides a way to eliminate the shortcut arrow overlays so the icons don't look so ugly.

I was talking with another person just the other day who couldn't stand the Win 8 icons for various things that show up in File Explorer.  My general advice:  Try to get past your aversion to them and just get used to them.  Or maybe don't upgrade to Windows 8.1 at all, which is not unreasonable since it really doesn't provide anything besides a few toys that you can't get in Windows 7.  Only thing is that it's current, which may mean better support for security fixes and driver updates.

Best of luck getting your system to where you like it.

-Noel

oldnewexplorer seems to be having a problem with mmc according to the event viewer, im starting now to think that I cannot custimze whatever i want, im starting to now understand noelC mentioned in his last post.

oldnewexplorer seems to be having a problem with mmc according to the event viewer, im starting now to think that I cannot custimze whatever i want, im starting to now understand noelC mentioned in his last post.

FYI: Windows 8.1 treats shell32.dll like the sacred cow and will fuss and bsod when making icon image changes unlike Windows 7, but for secondary .dll files such as ExplorerFrame.dll and imageres.dll it's usually no problem. 

~DP  :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

It does not work when I do it, it works for a while but even when there's no updates It breaks my Windows Activation, I turned of System Restore, even turned off UAC when I'm replacing the file, I have no idea how you can disable SFC also, Windows 8.1 is a minefield if you break anything thats what I noticed. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or something I mistaking but I edit the file in Restorator 2007, save it and then take control of a dll file and then rename it and then copy my version over and that's all I do.

P.S. since I don't want to break anything I'm using Stardocks iconpackager program to change the icons as it's safer, even if I cannot change every icon on Windows 8.1, also I'am not using the professional version just in case people think that.

Edited by Bakuchris

I believe the issue is from Windows Resource Protection (which is the new name for Windows File Protection) when changing system files. XP use to store the system backup files from the dllcache but now they are stored in the C:\Windows\winsxs\Backup folder beginning with Vista. read this => http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382503%28VS.85%29.aspx

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1722619

~DP  :whistle:

Edited by DosProbie