Is it possible to modify a .dll in Windows 8.1

Bakuchris

Does anyone know if it;s actually possible to modify a .dll in Windows 8.1, without everything screwing up?. everytime I try it breaks and will not boot or some other weird problem happens, so I have to use system restore to get back.

I have no idea, but it might help you get an answer if you specified which .dll you are trying to modify, what the modification is, and how, or with which tool you are trying to modify the .dll.

Cheers and Regards

yes, one image in shell32, also icons in both dlls. but i dont know if its possible, because another person asked a similar question here, whoever it was, searching google found me there anyway when I tried to change some icons and it broke my system and would not boot, until i fixed it with system restore.

PS. my activation also broke when i did it.

Edited by Bakuchris

yes, one image in shell32, also icons in both dlls. but i dont know if its possible, because another person asked a similar question here, whoever it was, searching google found me there anyway when I tried to change some icons and it broke my system and would not boot, until i fixed it with system restore.

PS. my activation also broke when i did it.

No Surprise there if it BROKE your system! If you don't know what your doing then I would advise to leave your system files alone, 

If you are H** Bent then at least backup your original files first and set a restore point before making any changes, unless you Enjoy reinstalling Windows. 

~DP  :whistle:

Ah, thank you it worked, I justed Changed the Branding .dlls and they worked and no activation problems also, phew, just to tell I have been doing this for a while I just could not figure out how to do it, it worked all I did was turn off System Restore and everythings perfect, this is great.

Edited by Bakuchris

Glad you got it working, At least til you do your next month's Tues updates and patches which will probably revert everything back.

:)

No reason to be so negative, though... now that Bakuchris knows how to do it, it's just a matter of doing it again, to the new files... a small nuisance, but nothing serious. :yes:

More of making Bakuchris Aware of possible update changes that he may not know about. I have made changes to system files from XP on and now use a System file patcher script that does the changes for me.

~DP  :whistle:

umm, it broke again, I don't know what happened but Windows is telling me im not activated again, auggh... all I did was replace 2 .dll files earlier and 1 later on and now it's like this. time to fix it again lol.

I'm all for experimentation and customization, but you have to understand that current versions of Windows protect themselves multiple ways from modification.  What you're trying to do is what malware tries to do.  That's definitely paddling against the current.

Maybe if you describe your goals someone here might suggest an alternate way to accomplish it.

To each his own, but personally I would prefer that my system be able to pass an SFC check:

SFCSuccess.png

-Noel

Ok, well I was just trying to change some icons under one .dll and one image in shell32.dll,to make my computer look similar to Windows 7 or Windows Vista, thats really why I was doing it. right now im not running Windows 8.1 currently.