8.0 to 8.1 upgrade problem

mike13

I recently upgraded my Dell computer and my wife's computer from 8.0 to 8.1 without a

problem. I offered to do the same upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 on a friends 7 month Gateway

tower SX2370-UR13. Everything went as expected. It took at least an hour to Download, then it did the Setup, and Gathering info etc. The it told me I had to Restart the computer, so I clicked on the RESTART box. When the computer came back up I get this message "REBOOT ANDSELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE, OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED DEVICE AND PRESS ANY KEY" Now

what ? What BOOT media, I do not have the Windows 8 disc as it was pre-installed. If I

press Control, Alt, Delete, the computer restarts, but the same message comes up. If I

press any other key, I get a duplicate of the same message. If I manually shut down the

computer, by pressing the OFF key etc. and waiting a few minutes, when I press the button

to start, it comes back to the same message. I tried booting into SAFE MODE, no luck. I canget into SETUP, but what would I do then. Please help. I thought I was doing my friend a

favor, now I have it messed up. If I look in the Bios, Boot options, the first boot device is the hard drive, the second boot device is Windows boot manager, and the third boot

device is the hard drive again. Suggestions please. Mike