Win 98 comp

Flash

I got another comp that is for work purposes (my mums). It is networked with my comp for net and other stuff. I built the comp myself but it keeps freezing, then after a little while it reboots. Its running AMD Duron 750Mhz, GeForce 2, 256mb RAM, 20Gb HD. Its a fairly decent computer but not when it freezes. Sometimes it freezes, sometimes it dont, this happens daily, some days it freezes then it could go on for about a week without freezing. Its on Windows 98 SE (Bah, hate it).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also the power supply, Flash. Is the Power Supply old? Check the vent on the back of the Power Supply.

End of summer here in Europe, so a lot of PCs are doing the traditional lock-up. Is the PC near a heater or window that could be affecting the temperture?

Both of the above contribute to a PC that runs fine for a while then starts locking up now and then. Don't forget to defrag a hard drive after a lock up as the files get scrambled.

Is it a female PC? Sounds like my first wife. :)

lol@msnwar

make sure its all cleaned out flash, dont forget the psu. best to get in the back grill of that with a vac and attachment,

is the correct driver installed for graphics?

network card?

try update all your drivers, including mobo ones if you need them, grab the latest via drivers too if you have a via chipset (they did wonders for my pc, infact they stopped it locking up randomly, but it was a rare occurance)

also.. are all the IDE leads properly seated? give em all a good shove, same for pci cards.

if you have an old AGP slot that doesent have a clip on the back check to make sure the card is in the slot properly, some tend to move backwards slighlty (hence new ones have a clip and cards have a hook on now)

scan disc the drives too.

failing that... run the pc for a while, then put your hand inside. ok next time it locks up open it up and put your hand inside (with the pc turned off like) does it feel warmer than last time? if it does add a exaust fan in there.

ive found in my case anyway, that heat collects under the pci cards, to the point i had to fit a fan in the front of my case blowing air over to the pci cards, causing the heat to move around the case rather than just collect there, a pci slot fan might be an idea but the front intake fan cured my problem there.

if all of that doesent find the problem... i give up!

Fthr quote: ok next time it locks up open it up and put your hand inside (with the pc turned off like) does it feel warmer than last time?

Now thats the MAN! The Touch!

I remember the first time I did that to afriends machine and said something like "Its too hot". My friend is a highly paid contractor "Track and Wheel Industry" and said to me something like "I could not have done that." It was heat by the way.