Any Way Of Disabling Bluetooth Passkey Requirement?

Ex_Brit

I've asked this on a number of forums to no avail.     I'm trying to find a way of pairing a bluetooth keyboard in 8.1 without using a passkey.  It was possible iin 7 and earlier systems because we didn't have Metro dumbing everything down.

I'm not trying to do anything illegal here, it's simply that Microsoft, when designing their Bluetooth hardware, never thought of how they would act across multiple boot systems.  As it is now, if you use a passkey on one, it will stop working on all the others.  So one has then to start redoing the pairing all over again.   A real PITA.

It is my understanding that HID Pairing of devices is tied to the behaviour of the hardware manufacturer's companion app, which is per user.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/bg182882.aspx

So what exactly do you mean by it stops working? You say you have a dual-boot, does the keyboard not work on that other OS? What is that other OS?

• 3 weeks later...

You have to go through the rigmarole of re-pairing mouse and keyboard on the other OS's in a multi-boot.   I've also discovered that it wont remain paired in 8.1 anyway so have given up and am using the wired ones when I boot into 8.1.

Could also be something to do with the BT used for these, - the original version.    However, I do not like the fact that 8/8.1 have taken away the ability to bypass using a key in any case.

I don't use dual boot myself, but I am thinking about how Windows 8.1 could even be aware of another OS. The only normal thing that could make sense is if your multi-boot is controlled by the BCD, and Windows stores BT data in the Boot files. THIS IS A GUESS, I have no idea how that works and I never have used BT input devices before. I can't even test HID-pair with BT and Win 8.1 because I do not have any BT input devices.

Are you using BCD to handle your multiboot or one of those other solutions?

I don't presume to know what you use your system for, but...  An alternative to multiple-boot setup might be to have one and only one main boot system then use virtual machines for running the other systems.

It's just a thought.  It's how I work.

-Noel