Windows Embedded POSReady 2009

Stefan43

Hello,

Can I use Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 as my everyday OS. For internet, games and listening to music?

Or can I only use Windows XP Home Edition/Professional for that?

Define "can" :w00t:

I mean ;):

1. can I use a 5" switchblade instead of keys to open my car? (is it smart/suitable?)
  2. can I use a 5" switchblade instead of keys to open my car? (is it possible?)
  3. can I use a 5" switchblade instead of keys to open any car? (is it legal/allowed?)

Some information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee406170(v=winembedded.0).aspx

http://msembedded.biz/en/windows-embedded-posready-2009/general-posready-2009.html

http://msembedded.biz/en/windows-embedded-posready-2009/posready-2009-difference-to-xpe-pro.html

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/E/E/7EEEDFD3-DC86-4EBD-A491-94C210285249/WindowsEmbeddedLicensing-McAuliffe.pdf

jaclaz

@jaclaz: Is it possible to use Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 as replacement for my existing Windows XP Professional installation. Can I use it as everyday OS for internet, games and music and video? 

I use POS2009 as an everyday OS. I found no difference between it and XP pro.

Ok, is it possible to install to install Microsoft Office 2003 on Windows Embedded POSReady 2009?

Ok, is it possible to install to install Microsoft Office 2003 on Windows Embedded POSReady 2009?

If I recall office was the only issue with POS2009 and did not work because of copyright issues, but if I also recall it actually did work for someone got 2007 portable to work and stated is was just a Placebo. Honestly I have no need for closed sourced office and use free options.

If I recall office was the only issue with POS2009 and did not work because of copyright issues, but if I also recall it actually did work for someone got 2007 portable to work and stated is was just a Placebo. Honestly I have no need for closed sourced office and use free options.

I installed Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 in VMWare, and after that, I installed Microsoft Office 2003. And it works fine.

But is it allowed to use POS2009 as an everyday OS?

Why wouldn't it be allowed. It just wasn't geared towards home users.

But is it allowed to use POS2009 as an everyday OS?

Why wouldn't it be allowed. It just wasn't geared towards home users.

Maybe because it is made for machines like ATM's. Btw, I successfully installed Microsoft Office 2003 Professional and Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Plus on POS2009 in VMware, so Microsoft Office is working fine. Maybe it is impossible to install Microsoft Office 2010?

Edited by Stefan43

Maybe because it is made for machines like ATM's. Btw, I successfully installed Microsoft Office 2003 Professional and Microsoft Office 2007 Professional Plus on POS2009 in VMware, so Microsoft Office is working fine. Maybe it is impossible to install Microsoft Office 2010?

If it can install on XP, it should work on POS2009. There are minor differences to the two.

If it can install on XP, it should work on POS2009. There are minor differences to the two.

Ok. Do you know if it is still safe to use Microsoft Office 2003 on Windows Embedded POSReady 2009? Because the support of Microsoft Office 2003 ended in April 2014.

Ok. Do you know if it is still safe to use Microsoft Office 2003 on Windows Embedded POSReady 2009? Because the support of Microsoft Office 2003 ended in April 2014.

You are right, never underestimate the dangers :ph34r: of opening an Excel or Word document. :w00t:

jaclaz

You are right, never underestimate the dangers :ph34r: of opening an Excel or Word document. :w00t:

jaclaz

Can I not just use it for creating Word documents and Powerpoint presentations. And not opening unkown files?