New Unofficial Version - 1.6.5

Hi,

Since nitro322 seems to be on hiatus for the time being, I have decided to upload my custom unofficial version of UniExtract, v1.6.5, which I have been using on a daily basis myself. Note that this is not an official release of the program but an unofficial interim build, which, whilst it has been tested pretty thoroughly, comes with no guarantee that it will function correctly on your system. I have updated the various supporting binaries, upgraded to the newest versions of AutoIt (for the program) and Inno Setup (for the installer), and added some new features. The changelog is below:

Added ASProtect unpacking support (via CASPR)
  Added support for Inno Setup 1.x installers (via InnoExtract)
  Added support for more InstallShield CABs (via UnShield)
  Added back the MSI cmdTotal plugin
  Added LessMSI as an additional choice for MSI unpacking;
          seems to sometimes work better than MsiX
  Added support for more SIS files (via SISContents)
  Improved support for ZOO files;
          changed extractor to UnZoo (supports long filenames)
  Fixed extraction of .tar.gz archives;
          inner .tar file is now extracted automatically
  Added support for VHD files (Microsoft Virtual PC Virtual Hard Disks)
  Added support for Advanced Installer installer packages
  Improved support for NSIS installers;
          InstallExplorer is used for NSIS 1.xx and 7-Zip for 2.xx
  Added back support for some Microsoft hotfixes
  Fixed FEAD false detection for e.g. Firefox installer
  Improved support for InstallShield installers;
          added option of /extract_all switch (for InstallScript installers)
          added option of /a switch (for MSI-based installers)
  Updated AutoIt to 3.3.10.2
  Updated Inno Setup to 5.5.4
  Updated 7-Zip to 9.32 alpha
  Updated ARC to 5.21p
  Updated CDIrip to 0.6.3
  Updated cmdTotal to 2.02
  Updated i6comp to 0.2 (newer despite version number)
  Updated innounp to 0.40
  Updated lzop to 1.03
  Changed outdated tee to wtee (by Point2)
  Updated trid to 2.10
  Updated triddefs to 17/05/14
  Updated UnRAR to 5.00
  Updated UPX to 3.91

The source package is attached. The installer and binary packages are available below as they are too large to attach:

INSTALLER: https://www.dropbox.com/s/81iba0o61o4tbb9/uniextract165.exe

BINARY PACKAGE: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftqxpp8iyyaxtgk/uniextract165_noinst.rar

SevenOptimus

uniextract165_source.rar

Hmmm... may have a look at it.

However, others have also taken on this project.

Your reference is to this (nitro322) -

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143862-uniextract-161-in-development-info-requested/

?Wonder if this is the V1.6 (also)?

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4399&sid=1f472346b3b73371f18097ef64daf271

Here are a couple of links to other "versions" (gora-modified) -

http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/9785-repak-universal-extractor-17995g-gora-mod/

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9771

You may want to take a look at the above. This could get messy if there's not a convergence of versions.

Edited by submix8c

Well, to be fair, the updates on the "gora" or "ricktendo" versions are seemingly mostly "marginal" or completely unlike *needed* :ph34r:, whilst the ones listed by SevenOptimus are seemingly much more interesting/useful :yes:.

I mean, Trids definitions database updates are a good thing BUT they make no sense unless such updates BOTH:

1. reference executable (sfx) or archive files

2. the "identified through the update" new filetypes do actually "trigger" a new (or updated) extraction tool

As an example, imagine that an update to Triddefs adds two filetypes, a spreadsheet format and a graphic one.

What would be the difference between running Uniextract with the "old" definitions or with the "updated" ones?

None, as both those kind of files are outside the usage paradigm of Uniextract.

@submix8c

The latest "official" version is 1.6.1, it is from 2010 and can be found on it's homepage:

Current Version: 1.6.1, Released: 05/12/2010

http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract

The one you referenced to is an older version from 2008, which I believe should now be left alone anyway.

Maybe, to avoid confusion, SevenOptimus might want to rename his updated version of UNIExtract to  (say) UNIExtractSE (for Second Edition) or UNIExtractNE (for New Edition) or something like that UniextractNU (New Unoffical) and/or start from version 2.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi again,

@submix8c: I've had a look at the versions you linked to but they don't seem to provide the au3 source, so it's difficult to see what exactly has been changed. Whereas the source package for my version is publicly available (see first post).

@jaclaz: Interesting suggestion. I'd rather not fork development in this way though, as my version is intended to be a direct continuation of what nitro322 started.

Everyone: I'd appreciate any reports of bugs that you find, or any additional features that you would want. This version was intended just to add a few additional formats that have been useful to me, but for 1.7 I plan to add a cascading context menu using Windows 7's built-in support (sadly it won't work on Vista/XP since I can't afford MS Visual Studio to code the DLL that these versions of Windows require), support for PECompact files (seems to have been a popular request a few years ago), DMG extraction support (via dmg2iso, unless anyone can suggest something better?), a functional tray icon, auto-update notifications, and possibly multiple file support (though this will probably be quite basic in the initial release).

Any other requests etc. would be appreciated.

SevenOptimus

@ SevenOptimus

I am not at all suggesting you to fork anything :no:, only to think about using a different name (and/or version numbers) to distinguish from the "other" unofficial versions submix8c mentioned and from the original.

The "Gora" versions have continued the same versioning numbers from 1.6.1, but added a "G" at the end (in the versions posted by ricktendo, but NOT on the ones "direct" from Gora. <- anyway IMHO not a very easy to spot difference.

You may want to call this one "UniExtract 1.6.5 SO <- but before or later someone will not understand how much the "G" or the "SO" appended is relevant for identifying a version and some confusion will be made.

The full changelog of the Gora version is here:

http://buttontc.7zsfx.info/files/UExtract/changelog.txt

via Google Translate:

https://translate.google.it/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbuttontc.7zsfx.info%2Ffiles%2FUExtract%2Fchangelog.txt&edit-text=

And there are other forks/versions already, like the DreamLair one:

http://72.233.112.78:9000/topic.cgi?forum=5&active=3&topic=20420&start=220

So, it is ALREADY a mess, I only suggested that it would be advisable to find some way (whatever it is) to reduce the possibility of confusion.

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz,

OK sorry for any confusion. I like the sound of your original suggestion UniExtract SE more than SO but I'll think about this more and see if I can come up with anything better. As you said before Gora's version seems to just consist of minor changes and removal of old/16-bit applications.

All: any bug reports/feature requests would be appreciated.

SevenOptimus

Well, no, he also did some changes to the install routines/interface and some good work with translations (besides updating a number of "extracting" programs) :yes:.

But still, with no offence intended for anyone :), I have had the impression that a number of updates were just for the "fun of it", and I personally do not like the approach taken for the installing with it's "closed" installer, etc., most proably Gora was/is concerned with the possibility of people "mangling" with it and releasing "malware" versions:

http://buttontc.7zsfx.info/files/UExtract/FileList.txt

jaclaz

And of course, IMHO it would be good if SevenOptimus would take what improvements there are in Gora's, DreamLair's and whatever other versions there are and incorporate them as well. I'm not sure about DreamLair, but I understand that if you ask Gora personally for a copy of his latest source he has been known to provide it, at least he has in the past. And someone else might be able to provide the compiling services for the DLL, if that's all it takes, to allow SevenOptimus to release a version that would still work on XP. It would be nice to have a unified version again. Just my two cents.

Cheers and Regards

Just for the record (NOT related to the previous issue) there are a few multivolume .EXE/.RAR files that have issues with 7-zip (9.32 alpha).

Used "plain", i.e. directly, not through Universal Extractor (which probably would use Unrar instead)

But I had no time to check if they were OK with previous versions.

Both these sets of Server2003 files (huge):

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24445

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19727

But, generally speaking, some kind of mechanism to be able to "retry" with an older (possibly "stable" or however "non-alpha") version or to choose among different versions would be IMHO a not-so-trifling improvement (and not only limited to 7-zip).

jaclaz

I like the sound of your original suggestion UniExtract SE more than SO but I'll think about this more and see if I can come up with anything better.

Well how about NUniExtract, 'new nee extract' (new UniExtract).

@jaclaz: Yes, adding 9.20 as an alternate extractor was indeed what I meant by "I'll see if I can fix this in 1.7". If this proves to be an important issue then I might release an interim version (1.6.6?) with 9.20 added as well as a few other small additions such as PECompact support.

@Yzowl: I like your suggestion. I was pretty set on UniExtractSE but NUniExtract does sound better. We'll see for the next release.

• 1 month later...

I've been using UniExtract for a few years now. When the original stopped being updated I found LupoSuite's version, which stalled, so I looked and somehow found Gora's. I was Impressed with the slighty enhanced GUI, though the drag n drop no longer worked, for me at least.

However, I'm no expert in this field, but I thought the fact that Gora's version updated all components was fantastic and would like this to be added should you decide to carry on this great work.

Incidentally, looking for other file extractors, I noticed PeaZip has a hefty number of formats under it's belt. It claims the ability to extract 150 formats. Does this better UniExtract? As PeaZip is maintained by PortableApps.com it would better suit me. I could try it out, but I just thought, as you seem to know a great deal about these processes of how extractors work and such that maybe you could give me your professional opinion please...

Is UniExtract a 'special case' that stands alone in it's field? I'm surprised something as good as this has been left high and dry for the most part. Several dev's have taken it on only to abandon it. Is there any hope for this great app? I've found it invaluable for creating portable apps, it's far easier and less messy than installing every app and copying to a USB drive to check portability.

Regards

Scott

Incidentally, looking for other file extractors, I noticed PeaZip has a hefty number of formats under it's belt. It claims the ability to extract 150 formats. Does this better UniExtract? As PeaZip is maintained by PortableApps.com it would better suit me. I could try it out, but I just thought, as you seem to know a great deal about these processes of how extractors work and such that maybe you could give me your professional opinion please...

Is UniExtract a 'special case' that stands alone in it's field? I'm surprised something as good as this has been left high and dry for the most part. Several dev's have taken it on only to abandon it. Is there any hope for this great app? I've found it invaluable for creating portable apps, it's far easier and less messy than installing every app and copying to a USB drive to check portability.

The theory of operation of the two programs is slightly different.

PeaZip (no offence intended) is essentially a "graphic frontend for multiple "engines" performing archiving, compression, encryption and volume split features":

http://peazip.sourceforge.net/peazip-free-archiver.html#file_archiver_utility

once set aside the "own" Pea format (which again, with all due respect :), is not - yet - relevant) and the nice (but very rarely used)  Paq family of compressors, the now not anymore widely used Ace format, and a few other "minor" formats, the large majority of the extractions is done (or can be done) through 7-zip,so it makes more sense (to me) to just use 7-zip and get the - say - 95% of extractions be done by it.

As well, if you need support for the nice ARC format, I would suggest directly using the FreeArc tool.

Additionally PeaZip has rather good (wide and what not) set of compression capabilities AND some of the newish compressors providing an "easy" way to use them as many of these less used compression tools (but also UPX, as an example) simply miss a good, easy UI (or a GUI at all, being only command line).

UniExtract is just an extractor, and an extractor ONLY.

It's approach is "sound" (and that is one of the reasons why LupoSuite, Gora and now SevenOptimus were able to update/better it/what not), at it's core there is the (exceptionally good AND constantly updated) Trid tool by Gabriel Pontello and it's definition files, which are used to identify the file at hand with a rather good level of accuracy.

Then one among a whole lot of "narrow", sometimes obscure, tools is used to actually perform the extractions.

The UniExtract is more "suited" to installers than PeaZip, AFAICT, while Peazip is a good solution for having a "unified" app for uncompression AND compression of archive files.

What somehow changed the rules of the game is IMHO 7-zip  :thumbup , the Author,  Igor Pavlov has added to it in the last few years (very often "silently", i.e. without an explicit addition to the docs/site) a huge number of formats not only for archivers but also for installers and for "disk/volume images" (including - recently - some of the .wim ones).

A few years ago, when I had to deal with an unknown file, I would have first thing tried UniExtract on it.

Nowadays, my personal approach in practice is the following (not necessarily a good one, BTW) when I encounter a compressed file (or a self extracting or installer file) or more generally an unknown file:

1) try opening it in 7-zip <- when it cannot open it properly, if it doesn't throw an error right away, often it opens it *somehow*, enough to "peek" into the file and get some info on the compression used

2) if it fails try UniExtract <- getting of course the latest updated version by one or the other good guys :) like Gora or SevenOptimus

3) if it fails analyze the file with Trid

4) find specific extractors for the filetype identified by Trid

In - say - 90% of cases or more I don't need to go past step 1), very rarely I need to go past step 2).

I do understand how in a perfect world the Uni Extract would be maintained and constantly updated by a "central" single developer (or pool of developers/contributors) but the real world is different (and largely sucks :().

You have to consider how the tool (and yes, IMHO UniExtract is "a 'special case' that stands alone in it's field" :yes: )  is a "cross-breed" :w00t:.

I mean, the large majority of users nowadays use at most three or four compression formats (namely the now getting "obsolete", but still remaining the more "universal" .zip, the .rar (version 4) and (increasingly) the .7z one with some using the .arc), they also actually RUN the stupid SFX's and installers, so the Uni Extract is a "niche" product, only useful to a restricted number of "advanced" users, that - on the other hand - often can provide directly the latest version of very specific extractors and/or are not in the least intimidated by the command line and/or when they use for some reason some less common archive formats do so directly with the "original" tool.

Peazip, on the other hand, is also currently (please, again, this is NOT to be intended as criticizing the project) a largely *unneeded* tool, for the same reasons, 7-zip will cover 95 to 99.98% of common *needs*, FreeArc will cover the 0.01% to 2.50% representing half of the remaining and the rest will be fractioned over a zillion "minor" formats (and possibly the actually really obscure or rare one won't be covered by it).

As I see it, Uni Extract is "better" (because of the Trid approach) and provides a wider support for "installers", Peazip is "better organized" and supported but it represents a "universal compressor" as opposed to an "universal extractor", both provide to the vast majority of users a zillion unneeded features, while providing to a restricted number of users some convenience in automating what this restricted number of users are able to do (and in some cases will need to do anyway) "manually".

Both, from what I can understand, are very good programs, but they are written by programmers (which can be an issue sometimes :w00t:), in the sense that the procedure of updating them is not "simple" and we need to have/find the (few) good guys that update/maintain them.

In the same hypothetical "perfect" world they could be "merged" in a single project with a "common" detection engine and a simple, plain support for .ini's (or similar configuration files) allowing even the end user to simply "drop" in the right place an updated .exe/tool/.dll and if needed add/modify the parameters used in the new version, thus making the whole thing more "modular" (more or less the way good ol' BartPE or more recently Winbuilder were setup).

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz