Integrate drivers to the XP installation CD?

Hello you all!

I'd like to integrate some drivers to the XP installation CD: (and also W2k later)

- Intel Ahci et Raid drivers, you guessed

- Intel Inf installation files

- A few Ethernet and sound cards

Up to now, I've found

- Thousands of pages telling that nLite does it

- Explanations from Intel, rather obscure, not for the Ahci drivers, only as unattended installation

- Do I remember that HFSlip does it as well?

Is there a different way? I imagine something like:

- Copy the F6 diskette to a special folder of the copied installation CD

- Burn an installation Cd with a boot sector, just like after slipstreaming a service pack

Thank you!

The $OEM$ folder is the "traditional" way to do this manually, like:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7475136_slipstream-drivers-windows-xp.html

the reason why very often nlite is (or the driverpacks or both):

http://driverpacks.net/

are used is because the procedure is complex and prone to errors.

But HFSLIP will also do nicely:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/63302-integrating-drivers-with-hfslip/

though still some manual intervention/work is needed.

jaclaz

I have tried nLite for the first time - believe it or not, I had sticked to other methods up to now - and it's really impressive.

Especially to integrate drivers, it's easy. I had feared many iterations of several hours each, but nLite just accepted my F6 diskettes and the complete Infinst folder, and the resulting Cd installed Xp on the first attempt. Alone the ability to make bootable Cd would save lengthy experimentation to newcomers. Then, how much time saved at each Windows install, by having useable settings from the beginning!

So capable software! Admirable.

Sure :).

The only issues with nlite (which are hardly an issue, only a nuisance) are just of two kinds AFAIK:

1. you cannot (should not) EVER run nlite on an already nlited source, even if what you did was a trifling little thing, ALWAYS start from scratch from an original "untouched" source <- and this is somehow a limit/defect of the actual program :ph34r:
  2. you should not overdo it and, because of #1 above think a bit about choosing what to remove, as re-adding what you removed (but actually later found out as needed) is always rather complex, and very often not even possible at all :w00t: <- and this is somehow a limti/mistake on the user part, but it is so common that there are tens or maybe hundreds of threads started by people that removed too much and ask how to re-add this or that

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

AFAIK:

1. you cannot (should not) EVER run nlite on an already nlited source

This is a bit extreme. I'm not encouraging doing it but in most cases you can for instance add drivers to an already nLited disc, as long as the .inf files don't have the same names. You can also remove more components. You can use modules you didn't use before (for example you add drivers and a Service Pack, next you add hotfixes and/or remove components).

Let's say it's never EVER recommended.

Sure :), that is the idea of "cannot (should not)" it doesn't mean that you really-really cannot, i.e. that every attempt will result in a failure, only that it may happen, and that happens more often then "from time to time" or "seldom".  ;)

As I see it is not a real issue, as when it happens one can always revert to start again from the untouched original, but historically all the whining :ph34r: happens because of one or the other between the listed two reasons.

If you prefer ;):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158485-international-translations-of-common-signs/

"E' pericoloso usare nlite più di una volta"

"Please do not use nlite more than once"

"Verwenden Sie nicht mehr als einmal nlite"

"Priere de ne pas utiliser nLite plus d'une fois"

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

"Gelieve niet aan scare mongering te doen."

From the program's author own FAQ page; http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html#Q8.

I'll also leave it here as I know you'll answer again and again. And again. :boring:

Giving you another occasion to nit-pick on them? :unsure:

No thanks. :no:

The messages that I believed were worth of note were delivered fine, I have nothing else to add on this topic, see you on a next one :hello: .

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• you cannot (should not) EVER run nlite on an already nlited source, even if what you did was a trifling little thing, ALWAYS start from scratch from an original "untouched" source

This is a bit extreme. [...] Let's say it's never EVER recommended.

• you should not overdo it and, because of #1 above think a bit about choosing what to remove, as re-adding what you removed (but actually later found out as needed) is always rather complex, and very often not even possible at all

I think we can all agree that nLite is a powerful and flexible enough tool that it allows the user to get on over their head and do enough damage to the build they are trying to make that it can become unusable for the purpose the build was intended for by the user, forcing the user to have to start over from scratch to make a successful build.  Yes, nLite can be used on an nLited source, just as yes, explosives can be used safely and constructively.  But care must be taken in either case, and preferably after some training and practice.

Cheers and Regards

bphlpt, on 06 Jun 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

Yes, nLite can be used on an nLited source, just as yes, explosives can be used safely and constructively.

But care must be taken in either case, and preferably after some training and practice.

Cheers and Regards

Training? WHAT training? :w00t:

You don't need no freakin' trainin', no, sir! :no:

How difficult can it be? :unsure:

genius1.png

coyote-6.jpg

tumblr_m7gkqb4WH01rodz1bo1_500.jpg

;)

jaclaz