Using icacls to set deny permissions

XenonKilla

I'm trying to set deny "delete folder" and "delete file" permissions on a folder and all of it's contents. So far here is what I have come up with...

icacls MyFolder /deny Administrators:(oi)(ci)(d,dc)

This sets the deny permissions correctly however I cannot even access the folder after setting permissions this way. If I set the deny permissions manually then it works fine.

Any ideas?

Figures, I spent like 1.5hrs trying to get this to work and no sooner than I create this thread I figure it out :rolleyes:

Well just in case anyone runs across this via search in the future, turns out you have to use DE instead of D but for some reason the Icacls reference page doesn't show there being a DE parameter.

icacls MyFolder /deny Administrators:(oi)(ci)(de,dc)

Figures, I spent like 1.5hrs trying to get this to work and no sooner than I create this thread I figure it out :rolleyes:

I recall many times where I start a thread and figure out the answer before posting. Sometimes, going over the problem whether typing it out or talking to someone, will put some new idea in your brain and sometimes that is all you need.

I recall many times where I start a thread and figure out the answer before posting. Sometimes, going over the problem whether typing it out or talking to someone, will put some new idea in your brain and sometimes that is all you need.

I know right! I ALWAYS make sure to post as a very last resort. I searched for almost 2 hours and was like OK I'm just gonna post up and see if anyone knows. Then I posted and decided to hit Google a little bit more and finally came across what I needed :lol:

Edited by XenonKilla