dont use internal hard drive

gaberilde

Do you want to boot from the USB, or do you want the system not to see the internal hard drive at all?

If it's booting from the USB drive that you want, you might be able to go into the BIOS/UEFI and rearrange the boot order so that it looks for the external drive first, before the internal drive.

--JorgeA

Do you want to boot from the USB, or do you want the system not to see the internal hard drive at all?

If it's booting from the USB drive that you want, you might be able to go into the BIOS/UEFI and rearrange the boot order so that it looks for the external drive first, before the internal drive.

--JorgeA

I got it booting from the usb but when i boot the usb it turns on the internal hard drive and I forgot to tell u it's about dead and it's interrupting the boot I wondered if I can modify windows pe to not turn on the internal hard drive at boot

Of course, it goes without saying that both plugging and unplugging HDDs should be done with the machine turned off (after waiting for at least one minute to ensure all capacitors have already fully discharged), and, preferably, with the cord disconnected from the wall outlet, too, just in case. That said, just the power cable is enough, there's no real need to also disconnect the HDD's data cable.

Of course, it goes without saying that both plugging and unplugging HDDs should be done with the machine turned off (after waiting for at least one minute to ensure all capacitors have already fully discharged), and, preferably, with the cord disconnected from the wall outlet, too, just in case. That said, just the power cable is enough, there's no real need to also disconnect the HDD's data cable.

What one is the power cable

The one with the larger connector

IF it is a SATA disk drive :whistle:

(dencorso crystal ball is working better than mine :w00t:, as he was able to see through it the actual PC, and thus know it is a desktop and has a SATA disk drive)

The one with "thicker" wires, coloured in black (2 wires), red and yellow is a more general description, commonly IDE/PATA hard disk (3.5") have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector

whilst SATA hard disks (BOTH 2.5" and 3.5") have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA#Power_connectors

The connector for IDE/PATA hard disks 2.5" is integrated in the data connector, like:

http://www.addonics.com/products/adms25ide.php

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I take this back:

(dencorso crystal ball is working better than mine :w00t:, as he was able to see through it the actual PC, and thus know it is a desktop and has a SATA disk drive)

evidently dencorso's crystall ball needs to be completely overhauled as unlike mine (which needing some fine tuning could not see details as I was expecting) his one provides WRONG details. :ph34r:

Here's a photo of the laptop needs the hard drive taken out do I remove the screw by the bit white thing that's the hard drive

Yes :yes:, seemingly the one in the top left corner is a screw holding the hard disk in place.

If you post the actual laptop model, possibly a better photo and disassembling instructions can be found.

jaclaz

I take this back:

evidently dencorso's crystall ball needs to be completely overhauled as unlike mine (which needing some fine tuning could not see details as I was expecting) his one provides WRONG details. :ph34r:

Here's a photo of the laptop needs the hard drive taken out do I remove the screw by the bit white thing that's the hard drive

Yes :yes:, seemingly the one in the top left corner is a screw holding the hard disk in place.

If you post the actual laptop model, possibly a better photo and disassembling instructions can be found.

jaclaz

i just did that and pulled it out now the laptops on and it isnt booting with clicking noises or slowly

i just did that and pulled it out now the laptops on and it isnt booting with clicking noises or slowly

I hope you mean that it IS booting (from the PE) WITHOUT clicking noises or slowly.

In other words your laptop's hard disk is defective and prevented booting even from a PE, unfortunately :( something that is rather common (hard disks failing) especially on laptops where the smaller hard disks (thus needing higher "precision") are also subject to shocks and have worse cooling than on desktops..

jaclaz