Change default icon size for all folders in windows 8.1

anthonyaudi

Hello I have a question I can't seem to figure out where I have to go to change the default icon view / size for all folders in Windows 8.1

By default everytime I create a new folder it will display everything in the List view.

Unfortunately, having the list view prevents me from seeing thumbnails when I have pictures as they have to be in the Medium setting to show the pictures.

I can't figure out where I have to go to change the view for all folders. I remember in previous Windows I would go to folder options and then there would be the box that said  "apply to all folders"

Since Windows 7 though this option is gone, however, in Windows 7 I never had the issue of folders being created in List view.

Is there a registry tweak or anything that I can use or somewhere I can go to change this?

Thanks!

Since Windows 7 though this option is gone, however, in Windows 7 I never had the issue of folders being created in List view.

I don't know about Win 8.x, but the option is still there in Win 7.

Windows Explorer -> Set up the folder as you want similar folders to appear -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Folder views -> Apply to Folders

Cheers and Regards

From your picture it is still there.  They use the words "Apply to Folders" now instead of "Apply to All Folders".  I'm not sure why it is grayed out and not enabled in your case, unless they have changed it to only be "live" if you have made any modifications that have not already been "synced"?  Or could it be that you have made some kind of tweak to your system that has effected this option in some way?  Or you have to be an administrator now for it to be effective?  I'm just guessing.  Someone else who actually uses Win8.x will have to comment whether it works for them or not.

Cheers and Regards

Unfortunately, this does not work anymore since Windows 7. I haven't seen the Apply to All folders button enabled since Windows 7 unless I'm doing something wrong

You only get the [Apply to Folders] button if you start the Folder Options dialog from an Explorer (excuse me, File Explorer) window that has the settings you'd like applied.  The general idea is that you're copying the view you're currently seeing to all other folders of the same kind (i.e., with the same "Optimize this folder for" setting in the Customize tab).

The options inside the dialog are applied system wide no matter whether you use the [Apply to Folders] button.

Display a folder the way you like it, then press this button to start the Folder Options dialog:

ChooseFolderOptions1.png

You should then see:

ChooseFolderOptions2.png

-Noel

Edited by NoelC