Creating a USB/DVD with Sata Drivers

bookie32

Hi guys!

A real bug bear that keeps turning up is when adding a new ssd drive to upgrade a computer the Windows installation throws up a blue screen when installing Windows 7.

Adding the right drivers via DVD/USB is something I have never found a good "How To" on...

The next thing is even when you look at the drivers for your motherboard chipset etc there is a list....

Intel rapid storage, intel matrix storage, jmicron.

When unpacked there is so many to choose from...how can I choose the right one when the manufacture lists all of them for my motherboard?

OK...most often you can set sata to ide and then activate ahci after installation - but that doesn't Always work...?!

Check your hardware is usually the reply to such a problem...but if you have had a fully functioning computer prior to adding a new ssd drive...it is hardly likely to be a hardware problem...

When adding drivers on install you can hide drivers not for your computer...that doesn't Always work either because you are left with a driver that doesn't want to install?!

Can someone give me some info on a good "How To" and how one chooses the right drivers when installing Windows 7 etc

bookie32

Hi Guys!

OK! Like I said sometimes the compatible mode in the bios doesn't work with all ssd's on installation. This SSD is an ultra Plus 12GB. I installed a Samsung SSD on Another computer with the same mobo the other day in compatible mode and then activated ahci afterwards...and that worked fine.

In the end - I downloaded the latest intel sata driver from asus and created a usb with that driver. I then loaded it when installing Windows 7 Before adding partitions etc.

I am now updating all Windows updates for the system :thumbup

bookie32

The next thing is even when you look at the drivers for your motherboard chipset etc there is a list....

Intel rapid storage, intel matrix storage, jmicron.

When unpacked there is so many to choose from...how can I choose the right one when the manufacture lists all of them for my motherboard?

Which motherboard do you use?

Read the motherboard specs and the motherboard manual.

Which SATA connector is connected to which storage controller?

Matrix Storage refres to old chipset wiht a ICH7, ICH8, ICH9

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/matrixstorage_sb.htm

Rapid Storage refres to current chipset.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/rapid-storage-technology.html

Do you use AHCI or RAID mode?

Windows 7 default drivers should work at AHCI mode for controller embedded in the chipset.

At basic installed windows open device manager, select a device details and read the HardwareID.

This hints used hardware. Search for this HardwareID.

Hi cdob!

OK! When adding new SSD drives to mobos problems can occur when set to ahci mode. The mobo is an asus P7P55d and the sata controller responsible for the drives connected is the Matrix one.

Can't actually see any info for the rapid storage controller in the manual..., so I guess that sorts out that one.

I am sorry to disagree with you - but Windows is hopeless with ahci drivers when installing Windows on a new SSD drive.

More often than not you have to set the bios to ide and then activate ahci after installation - then windows doesn't seem to have a problem with the drivers....lol

Just in this case it didn't want to work in either ide or ahci mode, so I chose the ahci mode and added the driver via USB during installation.

Thanks for your info!

bookie32

The mobo is an asus P7P55d

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55D/specifications/

A middle age Series 5 Chipset: P55 Express Chipset

Intel changed driver at the same time.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P7P55D/HelpDesk_Download/

You may use both Matrix Storage or Rapid Storage driver model.

Goto device manager, goto mass storage controller, list details.

Which HardwareID does match?

I am sorry to disagree with you - but Windows is hopeless with ahci drivers when installing Windows on a new SSD drive.

Well, I've another experience. msahci.sys works at AMD and Intel AHCI mode.

E.g. installtion with msahci.sys works at a PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E03&CC_0106 on a new SSD drive here.

• 3 weeks later...