Fix auto-hibernate on no physical input after wakeup?

osRe

WinXP has a "feature" (well, I guess it could be useful in some scenarios to some people) that hibernates the computer automatically 5 minutes after waking up from hibernation if there's no input during that time. KB318355 mentions an "inactivity timer".

If I move the mouse attached to the computer it's enough to disable the auto-hibernation, good until after the next manual hibernation. But I'm remote controlling the computer, and that specific input doesn't stop the timer for some reason.

Any idea how to disable the feature, or can anyone suggest a utility to synthesize input that will disable it?

(No, I don't have automatic hibernation set in the power settings.)

Thanks. Not needing 3rd party software is nicer, so for now I'll use this *.wsf on wakeup:

<job><script>  s = WSH.createObject("WScript.Shell");s.run('powercfg /s "Always On" ', 0, true);s.run('powercfg /s "Minimal Power Management" ', 0, true);</script></job>
Any clean way to get Windows with no 3rd party utils to run something on wakeup? The Scheduler doesn't have suitable start rules for that. Maybe WMI events can be used somehow, but it looks like a mess.

You should find - I believe -  a way to "trigger" the start of the program by monitoring system events, in WMI that woiuld be:

Win32_PowerManagementEvent

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394362(v=vs.85).aspx

See if this fits:

http://fullparam.wordpress.com/2012/09/07/run-a-script-when-the-machine-comes-out-of-suspendsleep-via-wmi-event-consumer/

A suitable third party (I know you don't want this ;)) is Hibernate Trigger:

http://www.desimonesystems.com/suspendtrigger/

jaclaz

I really cannot see HOW that can be a solution to the issue you posted :w00t::

USB Mouse Jiggler Sleep Mode Preventer

that is designed to prevent the computer from going to sleep or getting to the screensaver (possibly one locked with password) while examining a machine, WITHOUT changing settings, see:

http://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/mouse_jiggler/

Use a CRU® WiebeTech® Mouse Jiggler™ to prevent a computer from going to sleep while you work or play. This plug-and-use device creates constant mouse activity, so your computer won’t go idle and trigger a sleep mode or screen saver-eliminating the need to log in repeatedly.

Computer forensic investigators use Mouse Jigglers to prevent password dialog boxes from appearing due to screensavers or sleep mode. With many computer hard drives now employing full-disk encryption, such modes can greatly increase the time and cost of a forensic investigation. When combined with a WiebeTech HotPlug™, investigators can transport a running computer without shutting it down or worrying about logging in.

IT professionals use the Mouse Jiggler to prevent password dialog boxes due to screensavers or sleep mode after an employee is terminated and they need to maintain access to their computer.

If you’re giving a presentation, or just watching a movie, and you don’t want your screensaver constantly popping up, the Mouse Jiggler is the perfect device.

If you prefer it is a solution but to ANOTHER problem. :whistle:

jaclaz

It was a joke. I wonder if their listing is a joke too.

Well, no, it's serious :yes: and JFYI, Wiebetech has a reputation for making good. reliable, professional tools (that often come at a rather steep price :ph34r:)

As a professional tool it has it's uses, as explained in the quote I provided.

jaclaz

I think I'll take freeware software over a USB dongle, even if it was free. :) But really, to prevent screensaves I believe changing the settings still works. As for presentations and video players, I know there's plenty of dumb software around, but I'm yet to see a player that doesn't defeat the screensaver.

I think I'll take freeware software over a USB dongle, even if it was free. :) But really, to prevent screensaves I believe changing the settings still works. As for presentations and video players, I know there's plenty of dumb software around, but I'm yet to see a player that doesn't defeat the screensaver.

And AGAIN the idea of a forensic examination revolves around NOT changing ANY settings.

The thingy you found was primarily devised to allow "first responders" to have a possibility of transporting a system "on" and without it self-locking due to a pre-set timeout such as screen saver or workstation lock.

Also the "other" tool used for such transport makes no sense whatever:

http://www.cru-inc.com/products/wiebetech/hotplug_field_kit/

outside it's intended scope.

As an example I still have to see:

We created this product for our Government/Forensic customers, but it has IT uses as well. Need to move a server without powering it down? The HotPlug can do it.

in "normal" IT to have the actual *need* to unplug and move a server without switching it off, but I can well understand it's usefulness in forensics.

jaclaz